• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Church building for sale

• Members

I visited a church that was once run by white American Baptist members, a Baptist church for many years. The original membership have all gone, and they donated the small church to a Spanish mission that was using the building part time.  I remember seeing American names on the end of pews that said in memory of, these people that donated money to buy the pews never realize that their church will no longer be there after so many years. But the mission continues, new preacher, new members, the Word continue also the gospel. No longer a Baptist church, but a Penecostal now. So the next time you say this is my church think about it. 

church building GIF by South Park

Edited by E Morales

• Members

The church isn't a building, it's the people in it! My ex-brother-in-law started and pastored a church in Lake Havasu, AZ. They held their services in a Jewish synagogue. They never did buy a building. He finally resigned his church and went to Los Angeles to a large IFB church there where he had once been an assistant pastor. Just because people donate money for pews, hymnals or anything in the church doesn't make the building "theirs." It's just a building, and buildings can be bought, sold, or destroyed. But, the people, being the church can only make a church defunct by removing themselves and going elsewhere or nowhere.

• Members
8 minutes ago, SureWord said:

I never heard of the White American Baptist denomination before.

My aunt and uncle were members of the First Baptist Church of Terre Haute, and it's a predominantly white church, and it's also American Baptist. They used to be the Northern Baptist Convention at one time.