Jump to content
Online Baptist Community
  • Newest Sermon Entry

    • By 1Timothy115 in Devotionals
         11
      Psalms 119:1-8                                         Sep. 5 - Oct. 2, 2019
      1 ALEPH. Blessed are the undefiled in the way, who walk in the law of the LORD.
      2 Blessed are they that keep his testimonies, and that seek him with the whole heart.
      3 They also do no iniquity: they walk in his ways.
      4 Thou hast commanded us to keep thy precepts diligently.
      5 O that my ways were directed to keep thy statutes!
      6 Then shall I not be ashamed, when I have respect unto all thy commandments.
      7 I will praise thee with uprightness of heart, when I shall have learned thy righteous judgments.
      8 I will keep thy statutes: O forsake me not utterly.
      The following verse stood out to me...
      5 O that my ways were directed to keep thy statutes!
      At first glance it seemed to me this person’s soul is poured out with intense desire to have God’s direction in keeping His Word.
      I made a small wood fire in our backyard for my granddaughter, Julia, since she would be staying overnight with us. My wife and Julia stayed outside at the fire for about half an hour. Then, I found myself alone to watch the fire die out on a particularly lovely evening. So I took my verse from above and began to repeat it for memorization. As I repeated the verse, I tried to contemplate the words and apply them to what I was seeing around me. 
      The moon and stars were out now peering through the scattered clouds above.
      [Genesis 1:16 And God made two great lights; the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night: he made the stars also. Genesis 1:17 And God set them in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth, Genesis 1:18 And to rule over the day and over the night, and to divide the light from the darkness: and God saw that it was good.]
      Thought 1         
      The moon has stayed his course since the day God created him, also the stars, obeying the statutes directed by God from the first day they were created. Can you imagine God’s direction to the Moon and stars, “moon you will have a path through the sky above the earth, stars you will occupy the firmament above the moon and be clearly visible in the cloudless night sky.”
      Then, the trees, grass, even the air we breathe obey the statues God gave them from the beginning. None of these creations have souls, none have hearts, none have intelligence, but they all observe God’s statutes, His instructions for their limited time on earth.
      Thought 2
      What if we were like the moon, stars, trees, grass, or the other creations which have no soul? We would be directed to keep God’s statutes without choosing to keep them. This is not the image of God, there would be no dominion over other creatures, or over the earth. We would not be capable of experiencing the joy and peace of learning the love of God
      Genesis 1:26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.
      Philippians 4:7 And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.
      Thought 3 (October 2, 2019)
      Is the psalmist pleading God to force God’s statutes to become the man’s ways? No, he is speaking of his own failure in keeping God’s statutes and his desire to keep them, very much like Paul in Romans 7:14-25.
      God doesn’t work through force to turn men from their ways that they would desire His statutes or desire God Himself. Men must reject (repent) put aside his own ways and voluntarily seek God and His statutes.

How many Baptist Churches have you been a member of?

Rate this topic


Recommended Posts

  • Members

Growing up I attended one Baptist church for over 9 years, from 4th thru 12th grades. After that I went to the church where the Bible college I was attending was. After the President of the college got divorced from his wife, (he was also pastor, then co-pastor of the church the college was in) I left the college and went to another local Baptist church. The last two in this line was in a period of 18 months. Had I known that the pastor and his wife at the second church were "in trouble" I would never have gone to that particular Bible college or church. But, these things were kept out of the eye of the public until it came to a head.

Having helped plant several churches, and revitalizing others, I've been part of many Baptist churches, from IFB, GARBC, Missionary (BMA), to Southern Baptist. 

I was told that the average church member (and some of the statistics I've read over the years have pretty much been in agreement) will attend at least 3 Baptist churches, or churches of any denomination.

So, how many Baptist churches have you attended as a member in your lifetime? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Independent Fundamental Baptist

Before I became a Baptist, I was part of three different Christian and Missionary Alliance Churches (cannot remember if I was a member of them or not, it was so long ago). Right now I am attending the second IFB church that I have been a member of. I found out a few months ago that in January of this year that the one I was part of in Kelowna, BC, since 1998 is now not assembling together. The families have moved on or are attending an IFB church in Vernon, BC. With Covid fallout, we don't have that many people at our church in Abbotsford - but at least it's still solid in preaching, IFB, KJVonly - better than any other alternatives in my city.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Administrators
  • Growing up: Faith Baptist Church - Dad was Pastor
  • Then Liberty Baptist From High School to college - Dad went into Evangelism
  • Fairhaven Baptist College for 4 years  (College)
  • Lighthouse Baptist Church for 20 years
  • Now Highpoint Baptist Church- Last 6 years
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
39 minutes ago, PastorMatt said:
  • Growing up: Faith Baptist Church - Dad was Pastor
  • Then Liberty Baptist From High School to college - Dad went into Evangelism
  • Fairhaven Baptist College for 4 years  (College)
  • Lighthouse Baptist Church for 20 years
  • Now Highpoint Baptist Church- Last 6 years

My best friends daughter and son in law went to Fairhaven! 🙂 Great school! Her name before she got married was Naomi Simon. I can't remember what his name is off hand. They live in Pana, IL now and work with my best friend at the church he pastors.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Independent Fundamental Baptist

My childhood church, the church I attended college, church after college, church upon being married, church hubby co-pastored, 4 churches after moving out of state. We've been at our current church about 8 years. Every church we went to we intended to stay at, but different incidents and circumstances made it necessary to move.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
26 minutes ago, trapperhoney said:

My childhood church, the church I attended college, church after college, church upon being married, church hubby co-pastored, 4 churches after moving out of state. We've been at our current church about 8 years. Every church we went to we intended to stay at, but different incidents and circumstances made it necessary to move.

I can totally relate. We truly wanted to stay in a church about 17 years ago, but the church split. After the split, I took on the roll of temporary pulpit filler...after several weeks of being attacked by the deacon who had caused the split in the first place, my wife and I decided to leave the church "Martin Luther" style! I put a notice on the front door after leaving my key on the pulpit. I knew that certain deacon would find it that Wednesday night. He had been attacking me because I was trying to be the peacemaker between the two factions, and I had nearly convinced the side that left to come back. But, this deacon wouldn't allow it. I spoke to the other deacons, and they agreed that he shouldn't be holding the people from coming back, but in such a small church, the deacons all had to agree or there wouldn't be any reconciliation. After being stalked by phone and in person for a week, we left and joined the split. We had been gone when the initial battle started. My wife's mother had passed away and we were in Augusta, GA at the funeral. We walked back into church on Sunday to a raging battle. It was horrible. We've been through at least 27 splits...most of which were somewhat minor. We stayed with most of those churches. In the church we're in now, we've had at least four minor splits in six years, and we're still there. There's no doctrinal reason to leave, and the Lord still wants us there.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Independent Fundamental Baptist
40 minutes ago, BrotherTony said:

. There's no doctrinal reason to leave, and the Lord still wants us there.

That's where we are at the moment. Kind of in a "holding pattern." Doing what we can and waiting to see where the Lord leads.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Lady Administrators

When I was 9, the bus picked me up for Sunday School at Open Door Baptist Church in Lynwood, WA. As a result, the pastor (Ken Blue) visited and helped my Dad with assurance of his salvation. We began attending regularly and were there for 3 years. 

We moved to WV, and attended a few churches before settling on one (I can't remember the name), although we weren't there long. Moved back to WA and began attending a Baptist Church that closed down shortly after we moved to Oklahoma (by this time I was 17...).

In OK, we joined a Baptist church and were there until we moved back to WV. There the effort was made to form a church of which we were an integral part. It didn't happen, and then I went to college. The first college was baptistic, but was not Baptist, as was the second. I graduated from a Baptist college that no longer exists. Oh, summers I attended the camp church at Mount Salem Revival Grounds in WV (VERY Baptist).

After graduating, I moved to Belpre, OH, to teach school at First Baptist of Belpre. Then I moved to OH and joined Tri-County Baptist Church (also to teach). I met Randy there, we were married, and then we joined High Street Baptist in Cols, OH (the church where we met was in the process of closing down after some sad issues). From there, we moved to IN for my hubs to go to college. Fairhaven Baptist, where we met PatorMatt and his soon-to-be wife. We were there for 26 years, and then moved out here to WA. We did join a Baptist church upon moving here, but soon there were issues (no pastor...the pastor's wife was virtually the "pastor" - nuff said). So we found and joined Lighthouse Baptist Church in Port Townsend, WA, where my hubs is now the pastor.

Whew...just a few churches. LOL But we did move all over the country several times. Before I was 9, I went to other churches, some different denominations, but never joined. There was a Baptist church down the street from our house when I was very young (about 6). I remember my sister and I going once, because of the dresses we wore. They were "granny" dresses and I loved them, so I think that is why it's stuck in my mind. We may have gone more than that, but I have no memory of it.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Administrators
12 hours ago, BrotherTony said:

I can totally relate. We truly wanted to stay in a church about 17 years ago, but the church split. After the split, I took on the roll of temporary pulpit filler...after several weeks of being attacked by the deacon who had caused the split in the first place, my wife and I decided to leave the church "Martin Luther" style! I put a notice on the front door after leaving my key on the pulpit. I knew that certain deacon would find it that Wednesday night. He had been attacking me because I was trying to be the peacemaker between the two factions, and I had nearly convinced the side that left to come back. But, this deacon wouldn't allow it. I spoke to the other deacons, and they agreed that he shouldn't be holding the people from coming back, but in such a small church, the deacons all had to agree or there wouldn't be any reconciliation. After being stalked by phone and in person for a week, we left and joined the split. We had been gone when the initial battle started. My wife's mother had passed away and we were in Augusta, GA at the funeral. We walked back into church on Sunday to a raging battle. It was horrible. We've been through at least 27 splits...most of which were somewhat minor. We stayed with most of those churches. In the church we're in now, we've had at least four minor splits in six years, and we're still there. There's no doctrinal reason to leave, and the Lord still wants us there.

No Deacon or Deacons should ever be given that much authority. Decision making is under the authority of the whole church membership. They are in that position as HELPERS to the pastor, not rulers, not a board of Deacons.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
3 hours ago, Jim_Alaska said:

No Deacon or Deacons should ever be given that much authority. Decision making is under the authority of the whole church membership. They are in that position as HELPERS to the pastor, not rulers, not a board of Deacons.

I totally agree. That was one reason we went with the split in this church after several weeks. I never could understand why many of the deacons had abdicated their responsibility and let the head deacon take away the work of the constitutional rights of the membership. That particular church has had at least six pastors in the last 17 years, and they have gone even further off-course than they were before. The membership grew for a while, but they are now in a slump...part of that may be because of the pandemic.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Independent Fundamental Baptist

Member only 2 (1-IFB and the one I attend now IB). Tabernacle Independent Fundamental Baptist, Va. Beach, Va. and Decatur Baptist, Little Hocking, OH.

Attended many but only membership in the two above.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Administrators

Brother Tony, This is the first I ever heard of a "head Deacon". The Bible lists the office of Deacon, I don't see anywhere, or justification for a hierarchy of Deacons. This could be and very likely was, the problem with the church you mentioned. No one man should have authority such as this. Even the pastor is to lead, not have authority over the church above pastoral authority. The ultimate authority in matters of church business lies with tis membership, that is the Scriptural way.

I should back off of the subject of deacons, it is pulling the thread off topic. I apologize for this. It seems like I just couldn't let the subject of undue power given to Deacons go.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
12 hours ago, 1Timothy115 said:

Member only 2 (1-IFB and the one I attend now IB). Tabernacle Independent Fundamental Baptist, Va. Beach, Va. and Decatur Baptist, Little Hocking, OH.

Attended many but only membership in the two above.

Did you know Ray Fulayter, John Kerr, Joel Spencer, or any of those who came there from MBBC to teach or administrate the college there?  Good church and college!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
11 hours ago, Jim_Alaska said:

Brother Tony, This is the first I ever heard of a "head Deacon". The Bible lists the office of Deacon, I don't see anywhere, or justification for a hierarchy of Deacons. This could be and very likely was, the problem with the church you mentioned. No one man should have authority such as this. Even the pastor is to lead, not have authority over the church above pastoral authority. The ultimate authority in matters of church business lies with tis membership, that is the Scriptural way.

I should back off of the subject of deacons, it is pulling the thread off topic. I apologize for this. It seems like I just couldn't let the subject of undue power given to Deacons go.

I don't mind the interruptiion to the thread about deacons. In the church where I grew up, and in the church where the Bible college was, they didn't have a "head deacon." But, in many of the IFB and SBC churches I've been in, they have had a "head deacon." I don't think it's so much that the person is the head, but is the one who calls deacons meetings to order and tries to lead the discussion. That in and of itself can be problematic, or so I have witnessed. Yet, in only a handful of churches did the "head deacon" become so out of hand that they truly should have been removed from that office!

Remember, Jim, all these churches are autonomous and can call their deacons whatever they want, or try to place a deacon in the position of being "head." 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   1 Member, 0 Anonymous, 14 Guests (See full list)

×
×
  • Create New...