• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Preaching on the mother of God, the virgin Mary

Go to solution Solved by Jerry,

• Members
On 6/11/2023 at 12:07 AM, TheGloryLand said:

People know Mary, as the Virgin Mary. Mother of God (Jesus) Chosen by God. I see no problem. She later had children. Saying the Virgin Mary, is very important, for the virgin birth, and the earthly mother is correct.

Mary was not the mother of God. She was the mother  of Jesus. God chose Mary so she must have been a Calvinist. 

• Members

This is why the bible must be spiritually discerned and not logically discerned.

Example of logic: Is Mary the mother of God. No. Is Jesus God? Yes. Is Mary the mother of Jesus? Yes. 

We are saved by faith, not logic. When the bible teaches that God has a sovereign will, I believe that. When the bible teaches that man also has a free will, I believe that. Logic cannot reconcile those parallel truths, but I believe both.

• Members

I have a map of Jerusalem, Jordan, dated 1959. One tomb is marked as the tomb of  the blessed virgin. Where does that leave the doctrine of the assumption? 

Edited by Invicta

• Administrators
2 hours ago, Invicta said:

I have a map of Jerusalem, Jordan, dated 1959. One tomb is marked as the tomb of  the blessed virgin. Where does that leave the doctrine of the assumption? 

It leaves that doctrine in the same place as all other Roman Catholic doctrine. There is not one doctrine that they have not polluted with their man-made heresy.

Not only is there no "assumption" but there is no "Blessed Virgin". Mary stopped being a virgin the moment she had a child, as do all women.

• 5 months later...
  • Members

That time of year again, the Virgin Birth. Those who do not believe in this Virgin birth are still lost. 🙏 Yes the Virgin Mary, was chosen to serve and was blessed to be the mother of God, Jesus, on this Earth. She had no other powers for she was mortal and a sinner like you and I. 😇

• Moderators

TGL, it is heresy to state that Mary was the mother of God (specifically that term), or to call her the Virgin Mary, considering that she is no longer a virgin. You can call her Mary, mother of Jesus. 

Those terms are Catholic heresies, and have no place on this board. Please stop using them immediately. 

And actually, I don’t think people are lost just for not believing in the virgin birth. It’s kind of part and parcel of the story of salvation, but they have believe that Jesus Christ  died for their sins,, and was raised  again, according to the scripture as well. But you have a point that it’s good to learn from all the people in the Bible, and not to exclude her. 

• Members
1 hour ago, Salyan said:

I don’t think people are lost just for not believing in the virgin birth.

It is a fundamental of the faith. I think someone can be saved without knowing or understanding that doctrine - but cannot be saved while denying it. If Jesus was not virgin born, then He was not the sinless Son of God and not able to save us.

• Members
4 hours ago, Salyan said:

TGL, it is heresy to state that Mary was the mother of God (specifically that term), or to call her the Virgin Mary, considering that she is no longer a virgin. You can call her Mary, mother of Jesus. 

Those terms are Catholic heresies, and have no place on this board. Please stop using them immediately. 

And actually, I don’t think people are lost just for not believing in the virgin birth. It’s kind of part and parcel of the story of salvation, but they have believe that Jesus Christ  died for their sins,, and was raised  again, according to the scripture as well. But you have a point that it’s good to learn from all the people in the Bible, and not to exclude her. 

Thank you for pointing out. Yes it does have a Catholic approach and hopefully many Catholics will read it. I do clearly explain that Mary was chosen by God to be the earthly mother, and like us being mortal, she did die because of her sins. Being saved, she’ll be risen like we will. if I were to say Jesus, the man, we all understand that he came as a man, but was God. But Mary’s case, she was the mother that served as only a mother, on earth. The title was just an attention grabber, but it’s explained through the post. Thank you for understanding and if it really offends anybody the title, I have no problem changing it to Mary, the servant of God, or Jesus.

• Administrators
On 12/6/2023 at 10:37 AM, TheGloryLand said:

Thank you for pointing out. Yes it does have a Catholic approach and hopefully many Catholics will read it. I do clearly explain that Mary was chosen by God to be the earthly mother, and like us being mortal, she did die because of her sins. Being saved, she’ll be risen like we will. if I were to say Jesus, the man, we all understand that he came as a man, but was God. But Mary’s case, she was the mother that served as only a mother, on earth. The title was just an attention grabber, but it’s explained through the post. Thank you for understanding and if it really offends anybody the title, I have no problem changing it to Mary, the servant of God, or Jesus.

@TheGloryLand. please go ahead and change "God" in your title to "Jesus." And cut "the virgin" out. Salyan explained it well.  Sometimes when I look up a topic on the Internet, one of the titles from our forum will pop up. I've always thought that was pretty neat. However, we don't want folks thinking we as a board believe in the perpetual virginity or godhood of Mary. Thanks, TGL.