• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Who got here first the protestant or the baptist

• Members
51 minutes ago, E Morales said:

If you’re Catholic you may say that the Roman Catholics got here first, then all others.

Who got to America first? Who really knows but as far as creating settlements I would say Catholics.  St. Augustine in Florida is the oldest European settlement in America. There's evidence that the Vikings were here long before that but they may have still been pagan at that time and their settlements didn't survive.

Now between Protestant and Baptist that depends on your history of the Baptist Church that you hold to. I'm probably in the minority in saying that the Baptist denomination as we know it in America was not started until Roger Williams but the groundwork was already laid by the Pilgrims, who were not Puritans but Brownists and closer to Baptists in many aspects. Both the Brownists and Puritans came out of the Church of England.

The Anabaptists and other Old World/German Baptists would be where the Amish, Conservative Brethren, Mennonites, etc. come from. 

So the Pilgrims came out of the CoE but laid the groundwork for American Baptist churches which was laid down beforehand by various separatists group back in England.

The Baptist denomination was in essence a protest against Protestantism as Lutheranism was a protest against Catholicism.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Well there are the Waldenses-churches in the valley of piedemont. A leader called Robert Waldo was famous among them.  They held to baptism by immersion for believers only.  Also never symbolised with Rome and before the reformation.  There are other christain independent church groups like this with different nick names eg.  Donatists.  The problem tho is often the history of these is told by their opponents.  So a God fearing group of churches could get called heretics 

• Members
Just now, Jerry said:

And Survey says, the number one Biblical/Sunday School answer is: Jesus!

Trying to be a little funny - but it is true, He was here before anyone else!

C'mon, man! Be realistic...did Jesus walk this continent? ? LOL

• Members
19 minutes ago, PastorMatt said:

arrested development we have a winner GIF

It's not that Jesus doesn't count, because, since he definitely created the UNIVERSE, or COURSE he would be here first...but HISTORICALLY in human form...who truly knows??? ? Hard to truly say.

• Administrators

Yes, but nobody's going to top God. lol

Reminds me when I was in school (Christian School) and the teacher asked me a question and I didn't know the answer to so I said Jesus. The puzzled teacher then politely told me that the was not the right answer in which I proceeded to say that Jesus is always the answer.  I was sent to the principles office. and got yelled at then spanked.

Spoiler

The teacher was my mom and the principle was my father. There is more to the story but telling just my side makes me look better. lol

• Members
3 hours ago, PastorMatt said:

Yes, but nobody's going to top God. lol

Reminds me when I was in school (Christian School) and the teacher asked me a question and I didn't know the answer to so I said Jesus. The puzzled teacher then politely told me that the was not the right answer in which I proceeded to say that Jesus is always the answer.  I was sent to the principles office. and got yelled at then spanked.

Hide contents

The teacher was my mom and the principle was my father. There is more to the story but telling just my side makes me look better. lol

I never got that bad! LOL  I never got a spanking in Christian school. I did pull some schenanigans, though! ?