• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

A Place Called Hell

Go to solution Solved by Jim_Alaska,

• Members

When was the last time you heard or preached on a place called Hell? This is not common, for many are afraid to or just don't believe in it.

Rev. 20:10. “The Devil That Deceived Them Was Cast Into The Lake Of Fire And Brimstone, Where The Beast And The False Prophet Are, And Shall Be Tormented Day And Night For Ever And Ever.” Matt. 25:41. “Then Shall He Say Also Unto Them On The Left Hand, Depart From Me, Ye Cursed, Into Everlasting Fire, Prepared For The Devil And His Angels.”

• Members

Happy Christian, that's not bad at all your reply, you can be in a Baptist church years, and never hear a message on a place called Hell. Now on giving or the tithe, we don't have this problem preaching on monthly. I do support giving, but this should not be the most important message. 

Edited by E Morales

• Members
3 hours ago, E Morales said:

Happy Christian, that's not bad at all your reply, you can be in a Baptist church years, and never hear a message on a place called Hell. Now on giving or the tithe, we don't have this problem preaching on monthly. I do support giving, but this should not be the most important message. 

Ive only been in ONE Baptist church where I've never heard a sermon on Hell, and that church was an American Baptist Conveention church that a friend attended. Looking back on the transcripts he kept of the sermons, I only saw the mention of Hell one time, and it was just in passing. I don't believe I agree with your comment, though, that one can be in a Baptist church for years and never hear a message on Hell. It's just not that common. 

• Administrators
  • Solution

I may be, and probably am, a bit paranoid when it comes to the "wording" of this subject. I hope I can explain what I am thinking, so that others don't get the wrong idea.

When I said "wording" above, I meant the exact wording, as in; "a place called Hell". My concern comes from what I have observed with Christians that are into "easy believism".  (sp?)

In my experience, these folks usually have a pre-rehearsed "spiel" that they use when going door to door. somewhere in that spiel they will talk about Hell with the homeowner, but in every instance I have heard, they invariably say; "a place called Hell". They NEVER say the word Hell alone. It's almost like a "follow the leader" kind of thing; where that is what they were taught and so, that is always the way they say it.

Why is this a concern to me? Simple, when I hear this said this way, I always associate it with easy believism, which I do not agree with at all. To me, it is an "indicator". You know, it's the stuff where they use a pre-rehearsed spiel and if the person they are witnessing to will repeat a made up prayer asking Jesus into their heart, they are pronounced "saved".

This seems to be a "numbers game". They keep track of the number of people that have "made a decision", and whoever gets the most is seen as a great soul winner. As you can probably tell, I don't like this sort of what I call, "make believe evangelism". I have seen way too much of this sort of thing; which usually results in, no follow up, no Baptism, no teaching and no follow through on the part of the person supposedly saved.

I hope I have not offended anyone, and this is not intended for any one person on this board. But this is based on my experience and dislike of this method of soul winning.

• Members

A place call Hell is mention much, in our bibles and should be preach but not abuse.

Bible, King James Version

64 matches.

Deut.32

1. [22] For a fire is kindled in mine anger, and shall burn unto the lowest hell, and shall consume the earth with her increase, and set on fire the foundations of the mountains.

2Sam.22

1. [6] The sorrows of hell compassed me about; the snares of death prevented me;

Job.11

1. [8] It is as high as heaven; what canst thou do? deeper than hell; what canst thou know?

Job.26

1. [6] Hell is naked before him, and destruction hath no covering.

Pss.9

1. [17] The wicked shall be turned into hell, and all the nations that forget God.

Pss.16

1. [10] For thou wilt not leave my soul in hell; neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption.

Pss.18

1. [5] The sorrows of hell compassed me about: the snares of death prevented me.

Pss.55

1. [15] Let death seize upon them, and let them go down quick into hell: for wickedness is in their dwellings, and among them.

Pss.86

1. [13] For great is thy mercy toward me: and thou hast delivered my soul from the lowest hell.

Pss.116

1. [3] The sorrows of death compassed me, and the pains of hell gat hold upon me: I found trouble and sorrow.

Pss.139

1. [8] If I ascend up into heaven, thou art there: if I make my bed in hell, behold, thou art there.

Prov.5

1. [5] Her feet go down to death; her steps take hold on hell.

Prov.7

1. [27] Her house is the way to hell, going down to the chambers of death.

Prov.9

1. [18] But he knoweth not that the dead are there; and that her guests are in the depths of hell.

Prov.15

1. [11] Hell and destruction are before the LORD: how much more then the hearts of the children of men?
  2. [24] The way of life is above to the wise, that he may depart from hell beneath.

Prov.23

1. [14] Thou shalt beat him with the rod, and shalt deliver his soul from hell.

Prov.27

1. [20] Hell and destruction are never full; so the eyes of man are never satisfied.

Isa.5

1. [14] Therefore hell hath enlarged herself, and opened her mouth without measure: and their glory, and their multitude, and their pomp, and he that rejoiceth, shall descend into it.

Isa.14

1. [9] Hell from beneath is moved for thee to meet thee at thy coming: it stirreth up the dead for thee, even all the chief ones of the earth; it hath raised up from their thrones all the kings of the nations.
  2. [15] Yet thou shalt be brought down to hell, to the sides of the pit.

Isa.28

1. [15] Because ye have said, We have made a covenant with death, and with hell are we at agreement; when the overflowing scourge shall pass through, it shall not come unto us: for we have made lies our refuge, and under falsehood have we hid ourselves:
  2. [18] And your covenant with death shall be disannulled, and your agreement with hell shall not stand; when the overflowing scourge shall pass through, then ye shall be trodden down by it.

Isa.57

1. [9] And thou wentest to the king with ointment, and didst increase thy perfumes, and didst send thy messengers far off, and didst debase thyself even unto hell.

Ezek.31

1. [16] I made the nations to shake at the sound of his fall, when I cast him down to hell with them that descend into the pit: and all the trees of Eden, the choice and best of Lebanon, all that drink water, shall be comforted in the nether parts of the earth.
  2. [17] They also went down into hell with him unto them that be slain with the sword; and they that were his arm, that dwelt under his shadow in the midst of the heathen.

Ezek.32

1. [21] The strong among the mighty shall speak to him out of the midst of hell with them that help him: they are gone down, they lie uncircumcised, slain by the sword.
  2. [27] And they shall not lie with the mighty that are fallen of the uncircumcised, which are gone down to hell with their weapons of war: and they have laid their swords under their heads, but their iniquities shall be upon their bones, though they were the terror of the mighty in the land of the living.

Amos.9

1. [2] Though they dig into hell, thence shall mine hand take them; though they climb up to heaven, thence will I bring them down:

Jonah.2

1. [2] And said, I cried by reason of mine affliction unto the LORD, and he heard me; out of the belly of hell cried I, and thou heardest my voice.

Hab.2

1. [5] Yea also, because he transgresseth by wine, he is a proud man, neither keepeth at home, who enlargeth his desire as hell, and is as death, and cannot be satisfied, but gathereth unto him all nations, and heapeth unto him all people:

4Ezra.2

1. [29] My hands shall cover thee, so that thy children shall not see hell.

4Ezra.4

1. [8] Peradventure thou wouldest say unto me, I never went down into the deep, nor as yet intohell, neither did I ever climb up into heaven.

4Ezra.8

1. [53] The root of evil is sealed up from you, weakness and the moth is hid from you, and corruption is fled into hell to be forgotten:

Tob.13

1. [2] For he doth scourge, and hath mercy: he leadeth down to hell, and bringeth up again: neither is there any that can avoid his hand.

Wis.16

1. [13] For thou hast power of life and death: thou leadest to the gates of hell, and bringest up again.

Wis.17

1. [14] But they sleeping the same sleep that night, which was indeed intolerable, and which came upon them out of the bottoms of inevitable hell,

Sir.21

1. [10] The way of sinners is made plain with stones, but at the end thereof is the pit of hell.

Sir.51

1. [5] From the depth of the belly of hell, from an unclean tongue, and from lying words.
  2. [6] By an accusation to the king from an unrighteous tongue my soul drew near even unto death, my life was near to the hell beneath.
  3. [66] O Ananias, Azarias, and Misael, bless ye the Lord: praise and exalt him above all for ever: far he hath delivered us from hell, and saved us from the hand of death, and delivered us out of the midst of the furnace and burning flame: even out of the midst of the fire hath he delivered us.

Matt.5

1. [22] But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire.
  2. [29] And if thy right eye offend thee, pluck it out, and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not that thy whole body should be cast into hell.
  3. [30] And if thy right hand offend thee, cut if off, and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not that thy whole body should be cast into hell.

Matt.10

1. [28] And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body inhell.

Matt.11

1. [23] And thou, Capernaum, which art exalted unto heaven, shalt be brought down to hell: for if the mighty works, which have been done in thee, had been done in Sodom, it would have remained until this day.

Matt.16

1. [18] And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

Matt.18

1. [9] And if thine eye offend thee, pluck it out, and cast it from thee: it is better for thee to enter into life with one eye, rather than having two eyes to be cast into hell fire.

Matt.23

1. [15] Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye compass sea and land to make one proselyte, and when he is made, ye make him twofold more the child of hell than yourselves.
  2. [33] Ye serpents, ye generation of vipers, how can ye escape the damnation of hell?

Mark.9

1. [43] And if thy hand offend thee, cut it off: it is better for thee to enter into life maimed, than having two hands to go into hell, into the fire that never shall be quenched:
  2. [45] And if thy foot offend thee, cut it off: it is better for thee to enter halt into life, than having two feet to be cast into hell, into the fire that never shall be quenched:
  3. [47] And if thine eye offend thee, pluck it out: it is better for thee to enter into the kingdom of God with one eye, than having two eyes to be cast into hell fire:

Luke.10

1. [15] And thou, Capernaum, which art exalted to heaven, shalt be thrust down to hell.

Luke.12

1. [5] But I will forewarn you whom ye shall fear: Fear him, which after he hath killed hath power to cast into hell; yea, I say unto you, Fear him.

Luke.16

1. [23] And in hell he lift up his eyes, being in torments, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom.

Acts.2

1. [27] Because thou wilt not leave my soul in hell, neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption.
  2. [31] He seeing this before spake of the resurrection of Christ, that his soul was not left inhell, neither his flesh did see corruption.

Jas.3

1. [6] And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body, and setteth on fire the course of nature; and it is set on fire of hell.

2Pet.2

1. [4] For if God spared not the angels that sinned, but cast them down to hell, and delivered them into chains of darkness, to be reserved unto judgment;

Rev.1

1. [18] I am he that liveth, and was dead; and, behold, I am alive for evermore, Amen; and have the keys of hell and of death.

Rev.6

1. [8] And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hellfollowed with him. And power was given unto them over the fourth part of the earth, to kill with sword, and with hunger, and with death, and with the beasts of the earth.

Rev.20

1. [13] And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works.
  2. [14] And death and hell were cast in

• Administrators

I agree Bro. Morales, Hell is mentioned much as you pointed out with your Bible verses. But that was not quite what I was talking about. In all of your verses the word "Hell" is mentioned. But what I was taking exception with was the words "a place called", and how many many people cannot say only the word Hell, without adding "a place called"  in front of the word Hell.

• Members
6 hours ago, Jim_Alaska said:

I agree Bro. Morales, Hell is mentioned much as you pointed out with your Bible verses. But that was not quite what I was talking about. In all of your verses the word "Hell" is mentioned. But what I was talk exception with was the words "a place called", and how many many people cannot say only the word Hell, without adding "a place called"  in front of the word Hell.

For me, because of the church I was raised in, I NEVER use the words "a place called Hell," and for the reason you gave. It's used often in the "easy believism" presentation of salvation. I never have liked it. I usually prefer to say that "Hell is real. It is hot, and is eternal." I've had people put off their decision to be saved because I didn't follow the "spiel," as you put it. It makes me feel like I'm trying to sell a used car when I have to give the plan of salvation in such a leading way instead of letting the Holy Spirit convict and work on people's hearts. 

• Members
8 hours ago, Jim_Alaska said:

I agree Bro. Morales, Hell is mentioned much as you pointed out with your Bible verses. But that was not quite what I was talking about. In all of your verses the word "Hell" is mentioned. But what I was talk exception with was the words "a place called", and how many many people cannot say only the word Hell, without adding "a place called"  in front of the word Hell.

Unfortunately like many other words of the Bible and names, the word hell has been twisted in our generation, it’s pretty much being more polite by saying a place called hell, rather then just saying, you will go to hell. This is my humble opinion.

• Members
3 hours ago, E Morales said:

Unfortunately like many other words of the Bible and names, the word hell has been twisted in our generation, it’s pretty much being more polite by saying a place called hell, rather then just saying, you will go to hell. This is my humble opinion.

I know of very few whom, when explaining Hell, use the phrase "a place called Hell." Would you please give an example of how it has been twisted? Most of the preachers and people who actively witness on a regular basis (at least the ones I know) are direct explaining that if they reject Jesus Christ as savior, they will spend an eternity in Hell. Thanks.

• Administrators
4 hours ago, BrotherTony said:

I know of very few whom, when explaining Hell, use the phrase "a place called Hell." Would you please give an example of how it has been twisted? Most of the preachers and people who actively witness on a regular basis (at least the ones I know) are direct explaining that if they reject Jesus Christ as savior, they will spend an eternity in Hell. Thanks.

Brother Tony, I think either I have not explained my concern accurately, or folks are not understand my concern. There is no example to give. My concern was my observations in regard to some brethren who, when out witnessing and door knocking, use this term: "a place called Hell".

It is not the term that is my concern, it is simply that in my experience this term indicates to me that they have been taught to witness using a system of "easy believism. This system uses a pre-rehearsed method of witnessing such as; 1 2 3 follow me, where the person being witnessed to follows through a series of steps that end with them following the door knocker in a prayer that asks Jesus into their heart. At which time they are pronounced "saved" by the one doing the witnessing.

My main concern in this is the method, not the words, witnessing to the lost is not supposed to be like a Mary Kay seminar.

Edited to read:

I am sorry brother Tony. In my reply to this I did not see that you had posted another reply that addressed my concerns perfectly. I had thought that you were asking me for an example and didn't see that you were asking Bro. Morales. Your example of the subject being like a used car salesman it just the kind of thing I was thinking of.