• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Cloven tongues like as of fire

Go to solution Solved by Jim_Alaska,

• Members

Acts.2

[1] And when the day of Pentecost was fully come, they were all with one accord in one place.
[2] And suddenly there came a sound from heaven as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled all the house where they were sitting.
[3] And there appeared unto them cloven tongues like as of fire, and it sat upon each of them.

What does cloven tongues like as of fire means?

• Administrators

Just think of a campfire. You look at the fire and it is not even, you see different peaks of fire coming up. That is the "cloven" aspect of what the Scripture calls cloven tongues.

So, the picture that Rebecca supplied it probably  a pretty close facsimile.

• Administrators
  • Solution
5 hours ago, E Morales said:

Amazing seeing something so different like this. Will this ever happen again, thanks.

If I am understanding what you ask, the answer is no. This was the empowering of the church as the institution that Jesus founded. His church has already been empowered on the day of Pentecost to carry out His work and there is no need for further empowering. The was only one day of Pentecost, so only one event is needed.

I hope I understood what you were asking.

• Members
44 minutes ago, Jim_Alaska said:

If I am understanding what you ask, the answer is no. This was the empowering of the church as the institution that Jesus founded. His church has already been empowered on the day of Pentecost to carry out His work and there is no need for further empowering. The was only one day of Pentecost, so only one event is needed.

I hope I understood what you were asking.

Yes, you answer my question thanks. But if it will never happen again, I'm not sure. I believe in the last days God will let man do mighty and great things again. In my opinion, not in the bible, like it will never happen again is not in the bible.

• Administrators
13 minutes ago, Hugh_Flower said:

Morales I believe there is actually scriptural evidence for this to happen again during revelation. When again, the Jews will be baptized for their forgiveness of their sins, like in early acts

This "baptism" is something quite different from the Holy Ghost empowering the church as an institution. The bible speaks of different kinds of baptisms and for different reasons. 

Baptism is NEVER a condition for salvation, no matter who it is that is being baptized; speaking of your statement of the Jews being baptized for forgiveness of their sins. Yes, all Israel will be saved, but not by baptism, but by the very same blood as we, the blood of Jesus, when they realize that Jesus really was The Messiah that they had denied.

• Members
1 hour ago, Jim_Alaska said:

This "baptism" is something quite different from the Holy Ghost empowering the church as an institution. The bible speaks of different kinds of baptisms and for different reasons. 

Baptism is NEVER a condition for salvation, no matter who it is that is being baptized; speaking of your statement of the Jews being baptized for forgiveness of their sins. Yes, all Israel will be saved, but not by baptism, but by the very same blood as we, the blood of Jesus, when they realize that Jesus really was The Messiah that they had denied.

Peter makes it clear that the Jews will have to be baptized with the baptism unto repentance for the forgiveness of sins to be saved as a nation. Yes, the blood of Christ will be involved but they can trample under foot and consider unclean the blood of the covenant as mention in Hebrews. Their salvation will be completed when the Lord returns as Peter mentioned in his epistle. 

The church will be complete and in heaven when this occurs. There will be no sealing of the Spirit except for the 144,000 virgins. 

This is why it's called the Great Tribulation. It will be a trial of all the souls of men unlike the age we live in.

Edited by SureWord

• Members
2 hours ago, Jim_Alaska said:

You are not wrong, you are just talking about a different dispensation. Early acts and during Christ’s life Jews had to be baptized to be saved, tribulation saints are not the Church, and they will have a different method of salvation, which is the same method before the the Holy Spirit came and sealed them.

Edited by Hugh_Flower

• Members
2 hours ago, Hugh_Flower said:

You are not wrong, you are just talking about a different dispensation. Early acts and during Christ’s life Jews had to be baptized to be saved, tribulation saints are not the Church, and they will have a different method of salvation, which is the same method before the the Holy Spirit came and sealed them.

This is the only way it can be explained other than saying Peter was mistaken or just twisting the passage to make it say something it doesn't. Or the third option, name calling