• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Why IFB churches are not Mega Churches

Go to solution Solved by BrotherTony,

• Members
4 hours ago, MikeWatson1 said:

It is interesting to see what people do going from a larger congregation to a small one.

I remember a young lady came in to our church of about 30 people at the time who was used to being in the back row, sort of incognito and and was all fidgety and seemed distracted.  Didn't like the exposure that comes with s small congregation. 

Course now they I think have nothing to do with Christianity.

One thing that most churches have in common, the members seem to own where they sit.

• Members
3 hours ago, TheGloryLand said:

Your sitting in my seat, I’ve been sitting here for 20 years…?

like a boss win GIF

Seems to me that once again you're focusing on negative things, Morales. Would LOVE to see you post something positive for a change. As I stated, there may indeed be some petty, childish adults in church who would say something like you posted. It would just go to show that they're more concerned with their own comfort than reaching others. 

• Administrators

In my opinion this is a rarity, most church members are just happy to see new people coming, doesn't matter where they sit. It is true that most church members like to sit in their favorite place, but not at the expense of asking someone else to move; that would be pretty rude.

• Members
6 hours ago, Jim_Alaska said:

In my opinion this is a rarity, most church members are just happy to see new people coming, doesn't matter where they sit. It is true that most church members like to sit in their favorite place, but not at the expense of asking someone else to move; that would be pretty rude.

Yes, It’s a good idea to change your sitting once in a while. Meeting others and fellowship is good.

• 6 months later...
  • Members

On 10/31/2022 at 5:33 PM, Jim_Alaska said:

I agree Jim. A lady at my previous  church used to like her seat and though we had a policy of not having reserved seats, sometimes coming in late not making any attempt to tiptoe and once complained that someone is sitting  in her seat.

I have never been in a large church. Our chapel has a out 80 seats and   most of them are taked each Sunday morning and I have a problem with remembering many of the names.  I would hate having to attend a church much larger. I wouldn't know anyone.

A church we used to try to get to when we went to France was at Laon. Once my wife and I visited with my daughter,  son in law and their  5 children.  The pastor  said we had more than doubled the  congregation they had the previous Sunday.  

Edited by Invicta

• Members

I've been in churches with congregations as large as 4,500 people, and in ones that have had 30-45 people. I don't recall any of them experiencing problems with seating. We did have those who liked their particular seat of choice, but it never became confrontational. And those churches that were over 800 people were ALL IFB churches.

• Members

In the far north of Scotland was a fishing port at Wick. The fishermen Went down the east coast of Scotland and England and theit wives followed them and worked processing the fish in the ports where their boats landed the catch. They were known as Fishwives. During some of these journeys some of the men were evangelised and were saved. They founded The Wick Harbour Mission and themselves evangelised as the visited other fishing ports. Then Britain joined the EU and due to the European Common Fisheries Policy, whe Wick fishermen lost their quotas as the fishing grounds had to be shared with the EU fishing states. 

A friend of ours was a missionary in the Philippines and had to come to the UK to get his adopted daughter's adoption recognised in UK. He was offered a furlough place 6-9 months in one of 3 churches. One of them was Wick where the old mission building was now known as Wick Harbour Mission Baptist Church, and was kept open by 5 elderly ladies. By the time he came over the other two churches had got pastors so he ended up in Wick. 

Later on his mission board asked if he would retire and become pastor at wick which he accepted and has been pastor there for a few years now.