• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

When your Pastor starts loosing his touch...

• Members

This is part of life, when great men of God, pastors and preachers start loosing it. Their preaching start falling short and their teaching also. When some pastors, not all, as they age. How does the church handle such situations. Its so hard to say to this person, it is time to step down. 

Go Away Wind GIF by Fluffy Friends

• Members
22 minutes ago, E Morales said:

This is part of life, when great men of God, pastors and preachers start loosing it. Their preaching start falling short and their teaching also. When some pastors, not all, as they age. How does the church handle such situations. Its so hard to say to this person, it is time to step down. 

I think you could have chosen a better example...This man isn't even Baptist...and this is, after all, a Baptist site. 

Now as far as I can recall, I've been in four churches where the pastor has been asked to resign because he wasn't up to the task. The first was shortly after my wife and I were married. The church was not satisfied with the lack of depth in preaching given by the pastor at that time. He resigned, went to another church and was removed from that church after six months.

The second was when we lived in Illinois. A church accused the pastor and a deacon who were good friends and were constantly in each others company, of being romantically involved. They weren't. But, there were elements that wanted the pastor gone because the church was predominantly white, and the pastor was an American Indian. The "ruling" family of the church started stirring up trouble when some problems within their family were brought to light, because these problems were affecting the church....UGH! They also said he wasn't preaching the "whole counsel of God." Incorrect..they just wanted to see him leave.

The last two have been here in Tennessee over the past 26 1/2 years. It's never easy to tell a previously great preacher/pastor that he's not doing well any longer. It takes fasting, prayer, and a lot of Biblical searching and Godly direction to be able to tell one this. I'd never want to have to tell someone this again. 

• Members
1 hour ago, E Morales said:

Covid-19 (Covid-19), Covid-19 (Covid-19)...I'm gonna blow!!!....the wind of God.

• Administrators

We find in Scripture how Christians are supposed act and live which includes pastors. However, Pastor and deacons then have qualifications above and beyond the church member. God expects more from the pastor and gave them qualifications.

I don't need scripture. Part of my personal beliefs is that we are each responsible for ourselves. Don't worry about others. Put no one on a pedestal and expect more of them than of yourself. 

It is also my personal belief that if you are a Christian you are a minister. There are ministers who are hired by the church. Their job is to prepare the other ministers (all of us) for our ministries in the world. They  cannot go into all the areas of our worlds. Only we can and it is our job to minister there. For instance, where I worked no one without a clearance could come into the building. My pastor/preacher could not enter. Thus, it was up to other Christians who worked there to take Christ into that building.

2 minutes ago, PastorMatt said:

We find in Scripture how Christians are supposed act and live which includes pastors. However, Pastor and deacons then have qualifications above and beyond the church member. God expects more from the pastor and gave them qualifications.

That does not mean I should expect more of them than of myself. 

• Members
12 minutes ago, Bouncing Bill said:

Do you need a specific scripture to believe you should hold yourself to a high standard? Isn't it common sense if you are a Christian? 

What scripture do you use to justify the standard you hold for yourself?

Nasty photo. Abusive. 

Pastors are to "Feed the flock." That is their main duty...they are to feed the flock:

1 Peter 5:2

“Feed the flock of God which is among you, taking the oversight thereof, not by constraint, but willingly; not for filthy lucre, but of a ready mind;”

A good shepherd feeds the sheep...Protects and directs the sheep..even a good undershepherd will do this (John 10:1-21). In the passage given, Christ gives undershepherds an example. I'm not sure I know many undershepherds who would literally lay down their lives to save someone in their congregation, but I do know of some who MIGHT go that far...

So, BB, you say you "don't need Scripture." That's a pretty defining statement. Also, let me add that those who "rule well," or are our overseers in the church, pastors...SHEPHERDS of the flock, are worthy of "double honor" if they rule well....I just don't get  you, friend. It's been pretty obvious during my postings with you that you don't seem to care much about Scripture, and that worries me for you. I pray you're truly saved.

3 minutes ago, BrotherTony said:

Pastors are to "Feed the flock." That is their main duty...they are to feed the flock:

1 Peter 5:2

“Feed the flock of God which is among you, taking the oversight thereof, not by constraint, but willingly; not for filthy lucre, but of a ready mind;”

A good shepherd feeds the sheep...Protects and directs the sheep..even a good undershepherd will do this (John 10:1-21). In the passage given, Christ gives undershepherds an example. I'm not sure I know many undershepherds who would literally lay down their lives to save someone in their congregation, but I do know of some who MIGHT go that far...

So, BB, you say you "don't need Scripture." That's a pretty defining statement. Also, let me add that those who "rule well," or are our overseers in the church, pastors...SHEPHERDS of the flock, are worthy of "double honor" if they rule well....I just don't get  you, friend. It's been pretty obvious during my postings with you that you don't seem to care much about Scripture, and that worries me for you. I pray you're truly saved.

True, BT and that preparing should equip them to carry Christ to their workplace or wherever they go. Do you agree?

BT and Jerry,

What scripture do you look to to justify the standard you hold yourself to? 

Thinking about it I would say the Golden Rule. 

Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you: do ye even so to them: for this is the law and the prophets.

But, don't expect others to treat you that well. 

Edited by Bouncing Bill

• Members
46 minutes ago, Bouncing Bill said:

True, BT and that preparing should equip them to carry Christ to their workplace or wherever they go. Do you agree?

I agree that the Bible teaches we all who are Christians should do our best to serve him every day. I believe the undershepherd should be feeding the flock (they should also be feeding themselves as real sheep do...they eat grass, etc., and don't expect the shepherd to be handing them handfuls of grass and goodies) and guiding and directing them away from areas that aren't good for them. But, I DO expect a shepherd/undershepherd to have more authority placed on them because they ARE the shepherd. They should be equipped and should be equipping us with the knowledge and spiritual food from the Word of God. I don't believe you and I are coming from the same premise on this, so you'll probably disagree, as you always have seemed to do. 

• Administrators

Wait a second. BB, you said and I quote, "I don't need scripture", and then ask what Scripture I use? I'm curious why you want Scripture you said you don't need? You're deflecting from your original statement to get others defensive. Stand by your statement and stop deflecting when called out. 

2 hours ago, Bouncing Bill said:

That does not mean I should expect more of them than of myself. 

All I said was God has qualifications for Pastors. If you don't that, take it up with God, I'm just the messenger.  BTW...Scripture is my final authority, not man. 

God set special qualifications for a Pastor and deacons, which means he expects more out of them. Does not mean they are to be lifted up, just that God expects more than the member sitting in the pew. 

• Members
41 minutes ago, Bouncing Bill said:

BT and Jerry,

What scripture do you look to to justify the standard you hold yourself to? 

Thinking about it I would say the Golden Rule. 

Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you: do ye even so to them: for this is the law and the prophets.

But, don't expect others to treat you that well. 

Remember, BB, we don't live UNDER THE LAW AND THE PROPHETS any longer, but under grace. Christ fulfilled the requirements of the law and the prophets. I look to the 10 Commandments....they still contain the spirit of the law, but are a good guide for us...the Golden Rule is too. We won't be perfect here on earth, but we can certainly make it our goal to be as Christ-like as possible.