Online Baptist Community
  • Newest Sermon Entry

• By 1Timothy115 in Devotionals
      Psalms 119:1-8                                         Sep. 5 - Oct. 2, 2019
      1 ALEPH. Blessed are the undefiled in the way, who walk in the law of the LORD.
      2 Blessed are they that keep his testimonies, and that seek him with the whole heart.
      3 They also do no iniquity: they walk in his ways.
      4 Thou hast commanded us to keep thy precepts diligently.
      5 O that my ways were directed to keep thy statutes!
      6 Then shall I not be ashamed, when I have respect unto all thy commandments.
      7 I will praise thee with uprightness of heart, when I shall have learned thy righteous judgments.
      8 I will keep thy statutes: O forsake me not utterly.
      The following verse stood out to me...
      5 O that my ways were directed to keep thy statutes!
      At first glance it seemed to me this person’s soul is poured out with intense desire to have God’s direction in keeping His Word.
      I made a small wood fire in our backyard for my granddaughter, Julia, since she would be staying overnight with us. My wife and Julia stayed outside at the fire for about half an hour. Then, I found myself alone to watch the fire die out on a particularly lovely evening. So I took my verse from above and began to repeat it for memorization. As I repeated the verse, I tried to contemplate the words and apply them to what I was seeing around me. 
      The moon and stars were out now peering through the scattered clouds above.
      [Genesis 1:16 And God made two great lights; the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night: he made the stars also. Genesis 1:17 And God set them in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth, Genesis 1:18 And to rule over the day and over the night, and to divide the light from the darkness: and God saw that it was good.]
      Thought 1         
      The moon has stayed his course since the day God created him, also the stars, obeying the statutes directed by God from the first day they were created. Can you imagine God’s direction to the Moon and stars, “moon you will have a path through the sky above the earth, stars you will occupy the firmament above the moon and be clearly visible in the cloudless night sky.”
      Then, the trees, grass, even the air we breathe obey the statues God gave them from the beginning. None of these creations have souls, none have hearts, none have intelligence, but they all observe God’s statutes, His instructions for their limited time on earth.
      Thought 2
      What if we were like the moon, stars, trees, grass, or the other creations which have no soul? We would be directed to keep God’s statutes without choosing to keep them. This is not the image of God, there would be no dominion over other creatures, or over the earth. We would not be capable of experiencing the joy and peace of learning the love of God
      Genesis 1:26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.
      Philippians 4:7 And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.
      Thought 3 (October 2, 2019)
      Is the psalmist pleading God to force God’s statutes to become the man’s ways? No, he is speaking of his own failure in keeping God’s statutes and his desire to keep them, very much like Paul in Romans 7:14-25.
      God doesn’t work through force to turn men from their ways that they would desire His statutes or desire God Himself. Men must reject (repent) put aside his own ways and voluntarily seek God and His statutes.

Please be in prayer for my Brother-In-Law..he's fighting Covid and ready to go on a ventilator tonight.

Rate this topic

• Members

My brother-in-law has been in the hospital in Augusta, GA for nearly a week now on oxygen...they just told his wife he has pnuemonia (Covid), and they are planning on putting him on a ventilator tonight if his breathing hasn't improved by 9 Eastern. His wife is still recovering from covid, as are his two sons who live in the same mobile home park in N. Augusta, SC. Many in our family in the Augusta area have covid right now. Many HAVE BEEN vaccinated...I'm sure they ALL would appreciate your prayers.

• Members
21 minutes ago, BrotherTony said:

My brother-in-law has been in the hospital in Augusta, GA for nearly a week now on oxygen...they just told his wife he has pnuemonia (Covid), and they are planning on putting him on a ventilator tonight if his breathing hasn't improved by 9 Eastern. His wife is still recovering from covid, as are his two sons who live in the same mobile home park in N. Augusta, SC. Many in our family in the Augusta area have covid right now. Many HAVE BEEN vaccinated...I'm sure they ALL would appreciate your prayers.

I’m sorry to hear this and it doesn’t sound good what your brother-in-law is going through at this moment. I pray that you and your family find comfort in the Word of God.  

• Members

Update on my BIL in Augusta. So far he has been able to avoid the ventilator. One reason his lungs are so bad and he had gotten pneumonia is that he started smoking again 10 years ago, just after my wife's sister divorced him. He had stopped for many years...But, the stress got to him. They are saying if they can't get his oxygen levels back up over 90, they'll have no choice. He's been in the hospital now for nearly a week. He's scared, and he should be. He's saved, thankfully, and I think this has been a wake-up call for him and his wife, sons, daughter and SIL and grandkids. I'd hate to see him pass away at such a young age...he's exactly 11 months younger than I am. Our family has had enough funerals for the past six years.

2 hours ago, BrotherTony said:

Update on my BIL in Augusta. So far he has been able to avoid the ventilator. One reason his lungs are so bad and he had gotten pneumonia is that he started smoking again 10 years ago, just after my wife's sister divorced him. He had stopped for many years...But, the stress got to him. They are saying if they can't get his oxygen levels back up over 90, they'll have no choice. He's been in the hospital now for nearly a week. He's scared, and he should be. He's saved, thankfully, and I think this has been a wake-up call for him and his wife, sons, daughter and SIL and grandkids. I'd hate to see him pass away at such a young age...he's exactly 11 months younger than I am. Our family has had enough funerals for the past six years.

Thanks for the update, though I am sorry to hear the news. I have been praying for him and his family.

• Lady Administrators

@BrotherTony, I don't know if they've tried this or not, but one thing that has literally saved many lives is planking. That is lying on the stomach. I know it seems to go counter intuitive for someone who has respiratory issues, but it is a real help. One of my nurse friends' sister was at death's door with CoV, and the hospital talked to her about planking. She was resistant because she didn't think it would help. No joke, they were planning her funeral. Finally she agreed to it, and it was just a matter of days before she came home. Maybe you could mention the idea of planking, if they haven't tried it?

• Members
5 minutes ago, HappyChristian said:

@BrotherTony, I don't know if they've tried this or not, but one thing that has literally saved many lives is planking. That is lying on the stomach. I know it seems to go counter intuitive for someone who has respiratory issues, but it is a real help. One of my nurse friends' sister was at death's door with CoV, and the hospital talked to her about planking. She was resistant because she didn't think it would help. No joke, they were planning her funeral. Finally she agreed to it, and it was just a matter of days before she came home. Maybe you could mention the idea of planking, if they haven't tried it?

They recommend sleeping on your stomach if you have Covid. 

A little off subject but I never sleep on my back because of the "shadow people" and sleep paralysis I would occasionally experience since I was 18. Ever since I stopped sleeping on my back the night terrors have stopped.

I believe it helps with my asthma too.

• Lady Administrators
4 minutes ago, SureWord said:

They recommend sleeping on your stomach if you have Covid. 

A little off subject but I never sleep on my back because of the "shadow people" and sleep paralysis I would occasionally experience since I was 18. Ever since I stopped sleeping on my back the night terrors have stopped.

I believe it helps with my asthma too.

Right - that's why I mentioned it (that's what planking is...don't know why they call it that lol). I don't know why it helps, but it makes sense that it would help your asthma, too. 

• Members
6 hours ago, HappyChristian said:

Yes, they've had him on his stomach for two hours at a time. They try to get him to walk a bit between the times when they wake him up to turn him over. They did this with my niece in Texas as well. It hasn't really helped much with my BIL, but they believe that is because he was a heavy smoker. I couldn't sleep on my stomach, and neither could my wife. We both used to, but with the damage to our spines, we both have either had to sleep on our backs (she does) and I sleep on my sides. I'm hoping they can bring him through this.

• Lady Administrators
11 hours ago, BrotherTony said:

Yes, they've had him on his stomach for two hours at a time. They try to get him to walk a bit between the times when they wake him up to turn him over. They did this with my niece in Texas as well. It hasn't really helped much with my BIL, but they believe that is because he was a heavy smoker. I couldn't sleep on my stomach, and neither could my wife. We both used to, but with the damage to our spines, we both have either had to sleep on our backs (she does) and I sleep on my sides. I'm hoping they can bring him through this.

I wondered if the damage from the smoking might impede. Still praying.

17 hours ago, SureWord said:

It sounds hipper. 😁

I talked to my doctor today about the why of doing it...I had assumed that gravity helped take the pressure off the lungs. He said I was correct, that the muscles don't have to work as hard. Interesting. He also said it was called proning, which makes more sense. Maybe it's a regional thing. lol

• Members
45 minutes ago, HappyChristian said:

I wondered if the damage from the smoking might impede. Still praying.

I talked to my doctor today about the why of doing it...I had assumed that gravity helped take the pressure off the lungs. He said I was correct, that the muscles don't have to work as hard. Interesting. He also said it was called proning, which makes more sense. Maybe it's a regional thing. lol

We just got another update on my BIL...he has a couple of blood clots in his lungs now. We wish we knew more, like whether or not they're going to intubate him. He said that he was positive that if he was intubated he wouldn't make it. He's got a strong will, and is a fighter. I just texted him and told him that I expect him to pull through. We're supposed to go fishing next summer! 

• Members
11 hours ago, BrotherTony said:

We just got another update on my BIL...he has a couple of blood clots in his lungs now. We wish we knew more, like whether or not they're going to intubate him. He said that he was positive that if he was intubated he wouldn't make it. He's got a strong will, and is a fighter. I just texted him and told him that I expect him to pull through. We're supposed to go fishing next summer! 

Brother, my mother got the blood clots after the jab. It will be a tough battle but with God's help he'll pull through.

• Members
16 minutes ago, SureWord said:

Brother, my mother got the blood clots after the jab. It will be a tough battle but with God's help he'll pull through.

We're all certainly hoping so. His youngest granddaughter doesn't really understand what's going on, just that Papaw is very sick and in the hospital. The older one does understand and is afraid. He and I had just talked about the coronavirus when my wife and I were down in Augusta, GA for our nieces graduation from Augusta University School of Nursings nursing program. She finally got her BS in nursing on August 4th after having to sit out because of her mother's passing away from breast cancer in 2019. My sister would have loved to have lived to see her graduate. He said then that if he caught the virus he would probably pass away if he had to be intubated. But, after he and my wife's sister divorced almost 15 years ago, he started smoking again. That has a lot to do with it. 

We just had a man from our church pass away from Covid pneumonia yesterday afternoon. He's younger than my wife and I. We were so sorry to get that news. We had been praying for him for three weeks. He was moved to ICU last week, and passed away yesterday.