Jump to content
Online Baptist Community
  • Newest Sermon Entry

    • By 1Timothy115 in Devotionals
         11
      Psalms 119:1-8                                         Sep. 5 - Oct. 2, 2019
      1 ALEPH. Blessed are the undefiled in the way, who walk in the law of the LORD.
      2 Blessed are they that keep his testimonies, and that seek him with the whole heart.
      3 They also do no iniquity: they walk in his ways.
      4 Thou hast commanded us to keep thy precepts diligently.
      5 O that my ways were directed to keep thy statutes!
      6 Then shall I not be ashamed, when I have respect unto all thy commandments.
      7 I will praise thee with uprightness of heart, when I shall have learned thy righteous judgments.
      8 I will keep thy statutes: O forsake me not utterly.
      The following verse stood out to me...
      5 O that my ways were directed to keep thy statutes!
      At first glance it seemed to me this person’s soul is poured out with intense desire to have God’s direction in keeping His Word.
      I made a small wood fire in our backyard for my granddaughter, Julia, since she would be staying overnight with us. My wife and Julia stayed outside at the fire for about half an hour. Then, I found myself alone to watch the fire die out on a particularly lovely evening. So I took my verse from above and began to repeat it for memorization. As I repeated the verse, I tried to contemplate the words and apply them to what I was seeing around me. 
      The moon and stars were out now peering through the scattered clouds above.
      [Genesis 1:16 And God made two great lights; the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night: he made the stars also. Genesis 1:17 And God set them in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth, Genesis 1:18 And to rule over the day and over the night, and to divide the light from the darkness: and God saw that it was good.]
      Thought 1         
      The moon has stayed his course since the day God created him, also the stars, obeying the statutes directed by God from the first day they were created. Can you imagine God’s direction to the Moon and stars, “moon you will have a path through the sky above the earth, stars you will occupy the firmament above the moon and be clearly visible in the cloudless night sky.”
      Then, the trees, grass, even the air we breathe obey the statues God gave them from the beginning. None of these creations have souls, none have hearts, none have intelligence, but they all observe God’s statutes, His instructions for their limited time on earth.
      Thought 2
      What if we were like the moon, stars, trees, grass, or the other creations which have no soul? We would be directed to keep God’s statutes without choosing to keep them. This is not the image of God, there would be no dominion over other creatures, or over the earth. We would not be capable of experiencing the joy and peace of learning the love of God
      Genesis 1:26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.
      Philippians 4:7 And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.
      Thought 3 (October 2, 2019)
      Is the psalmist pleading God to force God’s statutes to become the man’s ways? No, he is speaking of his own failure in keeping God’s statutes and his desire to keep them, very much like Paul in Romans 7:14-25.
      God doesn’t work through force to turn men from their ways that they would desire His statutes or desire God Himself. Men must reject (repent) put aside his own ways and voluntarily seek God and His statutes.

Baptist Buffets…

Rate this topic


Recommended Posts

  • Members

Baptist loves to eat and I am one of them, I love going to church and the fellowship with the brothers and sisters in Christ, but sometimes, I believe the church is going a little too far with these buffets and dinners after church. I know we get our spiritual food first and then our physical food second. But we must remember that the church is a place of fellowship, worship and praise, to hear the gospel being preached, and to bring our ties and offering. The church is a place that must be respected add taken care of. Anything else we bring into the church could, believe me or not can hurt the church. what do you think about these churches, they have buffets and lunches and dinners every Sunday?

D8BF33C8-7C00-47BB-A1F7-EAE7D06F9EF6.jpeg.7de61e026e8e22f90c0bce9dec32eb0c.jpeg

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
3 hours ago, E Morales said:

Baptist loves to eat and I am one of them, I love going to church and the fellowship with the brothers and sisters in Christ, but sometimes, I believe the church is going a little too far with these buffets and dinners after church. I know we get our spiritual food first and then our physical food second. But we must remember that the church is a place of fellowship, worship and praise, to hear the gospel being preached, and to bring our ties and offering. The church is a place that must be respected add taken care of. Anything else we bring into the church could, believe me or not can hurt the church. what do you think about these churches, they have buffets and lunches and dinners every Sunday?

D8BF33C8-7C00-47BB-A1F7-EAE7D06F9EF6.jpeg.7de61e026e8e22f90c0bce9dec32eb0c.jpeg

 

 

 

 

I've never heard of a Baptist church that has buffets or fellowship every week after service....I'm not against buffets or fellowships after church, but don't believe they should used every week. In most of the IFB churches I was in growing up and in my early married years, we usually had one fellowship on a Sunday evening a month. To say what each church should or shouldn't do is becoming legalistic, as each church is free to choose how they run their own worship, their own fellowships, etc. It's really NONE of our business how another church conducts their fellowships, unless of course, they're bringing a reproach upon the name of Christ.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Lady Administrators

We attended a church for a time that had lunch potluck each Sunday. But they did this because they were without a pastor, so their guest preacher would teach/preach Sunday School and the morning service, we'd eat lunch, and then have the afternoon service. That way the visiting preacher could get home in a timely manner (one of them came from several hours away, the others 1-2 hours). We liked it because we traveled almost 40 minutes one way, and had to cross the Hood Canal Bridge both times...the bridge opens at times which can cause a very long waiting time. One Sunday morning, we were unable to get to church because the bridge shut down and didn't reopen. 

Our current church was in the same circumstance when we began attending. No pastor, and a rotation of three different men preaching for the morning service. The members of the church had decided at the beginning of the circuit to bring lunch so that the speakers and their families could eat. There was no afternoon service; evening service was just the members. It was nice for a while, but then when my hubs became pastor, there were issues that arose...so he did away with the meal and went to just snacks. That had its own issues, and was done away with when Covid hit. He did institute our first Sunday potluck, which we still do. We have an afternoon service (at which my son teaches) and no evening service. It makes for a bit of different and we all enjoy it. 

I think if a church wants to have a meal together every week, that's their choice. I do know of a few churches that have a meal each Sunday. IMO, it's no biggie - in fact, meal time is a very good time to fellowship together. Something we all need.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, HappyChristian said:

We attended a church for a time that had lunch potluck each Sunday. But they did this because they were without a pastor, so their guest preacher would teach/preach Sunday School and the morning service, we'd eat lunch, and then have the afternoon service. That way the visiting preacher could get home in a timely manner (one of them came from several hours away, the others 1-2 hours). We liked it because we traveled almost 40 minutes one way, and had to cross the Hood Canal Bridge both times...the bridge opens at times which can cause a very long waiting time. One Sunday morning, we were unable to get to church because the bridge shut down and didn't reopen. 

Our current church was in the same circumstance when we began attending. No pastor, and a rotation of three different men preaching for the morning service. The members of the church had decided at the beginning of the circuit to bring lunch so that the speakers and their families could eat. There was no afternoon service; evening service was just the members. It was nice for a while, but then when my hubs became pastor, there were issues that arose...so he did away with the meal and went to just snacks. That had its own issues, and was done away with when Covid hit. He did institute our first Sunday potluck, which we still do. We have an afternoon service (at which my son teaches) and no evening service. It makes for a bit of different and we all enjoy it. 

I think if a church wants to have a meal together every week, that's their choice. I do know of a few churches that have a meal each Sunday. IMO, it's no biggie - in fact, meal time is a very good time to fellowship together. Something we all need.

@HappyChristianGoodies to eat are nice; but it's the Biblical, spiritual food that really counts for lasting nourishment! 🙂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, HappyChristian said:

I never said otherwise. But it is a truth that hungry people don't learn as well, so there's that, too.

I also find that if I've eaten too much during the intermission, during the next sermon I might start to feel.....a bit....zzzzzz.......:)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
5 hours ago, farouk said:

I also find that if I've eaten too much during the intermission, during the next sermon I might start to feel.....a bit....zzzzzz.......:)

Depends on what you choose to eat and just how much you eat! There are food combinations, even in foods that aren't ideal that will help keep one awake. Stay away from most of the carbs and sweets, and you shouldn't have a problem...unless of course, you're eating turkey! 🙂

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Lady Administrators
13 hours ago, farouk said:

I also find that if I've eaten too much during the intermission, during the next sermon I might start to feel.....a bit....zzzzzz.......:)

Which is why, on our potluck days, we don't have dessert until after the last service. People save room, and don't get the zzz feeling from the sugar.  As to that, folks need to be responsible and not eat so much they'll get sleepy. 😉

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
On 9/19/2021 at 1:53 PM, E Morales said:

Baptist loves to eat and I am one of them, I love going to church and the fellowship with the brothers and sisters in Christ, but sometimes, I believe the church is going a little too far with these buffets and dinners after church. I know we get our spiritual food first and then our physical food second. But we must remember that the church is a place of fellowship, worship and praise, to hear the gospel being preached, and to bring our ties and offering. The church is a place that must be respected add taken care of. Anything else we bring into the church could, believe me or not can hurt the church. what do you think about these churches, they have buffets and lunches and dinners every Sunday?

D8BF33C8-7C00-47BB-A1F7-EAE7D06F9EF6.jpeg.7de61e026e8e22f90c0bce9dec32eb0c.jpeg

 

 

 

“And when they had fasted and prayed, and laid their hands on them, they sent them away.” - Acts 13:3 

The early church prayed and fasted before sending the missionaries out. I've never experienced this in a church. Usually it's stuffing the gullet and complaining why we have so many physical issues like sore feet because many of us are obese.

Edited by SureWord
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

What happens is those nice ladies that are working in the kitchen, warming the food and getting everything ready. When they should be hearing and participating in the service. The only members that should be walking around is security, or someone to use the rest room. Members hanging around outside is another problem, just talking.

56 minutes ago, SureWord said:

“And when they had fasted and prayed, and laid their hands on them, they sent them away.” - Acts 13:3 

The early church prayed and fasted before sending the missionaries out. I've never experienced this in a church. Usually it's stuffing the gullet and complaining why we have so many physical issues like sore feet because many of us are obese.

Most Baptist don't fast, this is a weakness, I agree.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
On 9/19/2021 at 1:53 PM, E Morales said:

Baptist loves to eat and I am one of them, I love going to church and the fellowship with the brothers and sisters in Christ, but sometimes, I believe the church is going a little too far with these buffets and dinners after church. I know we get our spiritual food first and then our physical food second. But we must remember that the church is a place of fellowship, worship and praise, to hear the gospel being preached, and to bring our tithes and offering. The church is a place that must be respected and taken care of. Anything else we bring into the church could, believe me or not can hurt the church. what do you think about these churches, they have buffets and lunches and dinners every Sunday?

D8BF33C8-7C00-47BB-A1F7-EAE7D06F9EF6.jpeg.7de61e026e8e22f90c0bce9dec32eb0c.jpeg

 

Spelling change for tithes also and...   Thanks

 

 

Edited by E Morales
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Lady Administrators
5 hours ago, E Morales said:

What happens is those nice ladies that are working in the kitchen, warming the food and getting everything ready. When they should be hearing and participating in the service. The only members that should be walking around is security, or someone to use the rest room. Members hanging around outside is another problem, just talking.

 

Not at our church. Food is kept warm either in a crockpot or in the oven, turned on before any service begins. And no work to set it out until after the service is over. As for security, we have a very small church and our one "security" sits in the service along with everyone else. He has very quick reaction times... 😄 And members don't hang around outside just talking. Let's not broadbrush - maybe "what often happens" instead...

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
7 hours ago, HappyChristian said:

Not at our church. Food is kept warm either in a crockpot or in the oven, turned on before any service begins. And no work to set it out until after the service is over. As for security, we have a very small church and our one "security" sits in the service along with everyone else. He has very quick reaction times... 😄 And members don't hang around outside just talking. Let's not broadbrush - maybe "what often happens" instead...

 

I agree. In our church we have several "security" people...all carry guns, and i believe at least one is an officer somewhere nearby. In our church, being small (between 80 and 140 people on any given Sunday), our fellowships usually have the ladies and some men leaving the service just before the invitation to get the food warmed and put onto the tables. It doesn't take long. Fellowships are a great way to make sure that visitors feel welcomed if they've come on that particular Sunday, and we've had several come to the Lord because of the time spent on them on those Sundays. That's one thing I do love about our church. It was also, for my wife and I, a GREAT WAY to get to know other people who were in our SS class, in the church as deacons, and just to meet others our own age or a bit older. I wouldn't change a thing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderators
19 hours ago, E Morales said:

What happens is those nice ladies that are working in the kitchen, warming the food and getting everything ready. When they should be hearing and participating in the service. The only members that should be walking around is security, or someone to use the rest room. Members hanging around outside is another problem, just talking

I agree with that. We’ve had times where there’ll be three ladies setting up in the kitchen - where only one is needed - and Sometimes with children’s church on the other side of the divider. Or men taking long over their mid-service coffee. Adults forget and talk out loud and it was such a distraction to the kids. The fellowship can wait an extra ten minutes after service.

With Covid now, our basement fellowship space is service overflow. So now they can’t set up early and have to wait till after the service. 😏

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
13 minutes ago, Salyan said:

I agree with that. We’ve had times where there’ll be three ladies setting up in the kitchen - where only one is needed - and Sometimes with children’s church on the other side of the divider. Or men taking long over their mid-service coffee. Adults forget and talk out loud and it was such a distraction to the kids. The fellowship can wait an extra ten minutes after service.

With Covid now, our basement fellowship space is service overflow. So now they can’t set up early and have to wait till after the service. 😏

 

Salyan, I'm sure you already realize this, but it's not the same way in every church. In our church, they have Jr. Church in the area where we fellowship. But, at the present, because of Covid, they can use one of the other, larger rooms which is away from the kitchen and fellowship hall. Many smaller churches do have a problem like you mentioned, though, and that's a shame. They really should wait until the service is complete. I know in a smaller church my wife and I worked with in Illinois would have the congregation sing a couple of hymns or ask for testimonies while the ladies warmed the dishes. It worked pretty well. 🙂 I believe that more than one lady will usually set up because it wouldn't seem fair to burden just one person when a second or third could help the process to be quicker. JMHO.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderators

Never said it was every church.

Trust me, as someone who’s likely spent more time in church kitchens, when someone needs to be present to watch the ovens, one person is sufficient and more people slow things down (and distract each other by talking).  I think there’s a saying about that somewhere…

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
2 hours ago, Salyan said:

Never said it was every church.

Trust me, as someone who’s likely spent more time in church kitchens, when someone needs to be present to watch the ovens, one person is sufficient and more people slow things down (and distract each other by talking).  I think there’s a saying about that somewhere…

 

Please, pray tell, where I said it was in "every church." My aren't we touchy, or it seems so to me....am I reading you incorrectly? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderators

You have a short memory. 😄 

46 minutes ago, BrotherTony said:

Please, pray tell, where I said it was in "every church." My aren't we touchy, or it seems so to me....am I reading you incorrectly? 

6 hours ago, BrotherTony said:

Salyan, I'm sure you already realize this, but it's not the same way in every church.

I don't appreciate having words put into my mouth, and I don't appreciate men mansplaining how they think a job they probably never do would work better (i.e. be 'fairer' or 'quicker') - but maybe I misread your intent on that second point. 

Also, if people aren't being touchy, suggesting they are being so is a great way to make them so. JMHO. 😉  
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
21 minutes ago, Salyan said:

You have a short memory. 😄 

I don't appreciate having words put into my mouth, and I don't appreciate men mansplaining how they think a job they probably never do would work better (i.e. be 'fairer' or 'quicker') - but maybe I misread your intent on that second point. 

Also, if people aren't being touchy, suggesting they are being so is a great way to make them so. JMHO. 😉  
 

No offense was meant...but you DO seem to be a bit touchy to me. I wasn't "manslplaining...but, you're DEFINITELY entitled to your opinion. Again, no disrespect intended. I can only go by what the WOMEN in the churches I've attended and my wife have told me. I didn't hear much talk from them while I was teaching Childrens church just down the hall while they were preparing things.....As far as memory goes, I definitely DON'T have a short one! Have a nice evening.

Additional: I did look back over my post to you, and yes, I did use the words "every church," but you're taking the words out of context. Not cool!

Edited by BrotherTony
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Lady Administrators

So, anyway...

We, as I said, are a very small church. We meet in a manufactured home, so the kitchen and the "auditorium" are in one big room. Hence, if someone were to begin warming food (or, as has happened, turn on the coffee pot or the oven) while the service is going on, it would disturb the entire service...and has.  So, my husband, not too long after he became pastor, had to institute  "no working in the kitchen during service" . That sure cut down on a lot of interruption.

As I said, after the service we get things ready. I had to ask my husband to announce that the men give the ladies a chance to get stuff out because there were two men who thought they were special (they honestly did...) and could just bulldoze in as things were being set out and dish up their food because they were hungry. Apparently they didn't think anyone else was. lol.  Now the issue is that our kitchen area is so small that if two ladies are working there, it gets quite crowded. When there are 4, nothing gets done in a timely manner...

We have had attenders who think that, just because the kitchen is there, they can go to the fridge and get a drink, or go through cupboards looking for something, etc., during the service; bring in their coffee or whatever to the service area, etc. So we had to "close the kitchen." From 5 minutes before Sunday School til after the morning service, the kitchen is closed. We have a sign that says such that we put out...have to because there are folks who think if it's not there that means free-for-all.

Meeting in a manufactured home can be problematic in that folks associate it with a home rather than a church building. My hubs has worked on creating a less casual attitude toward meeting to corporately worship. God is good and has definitely helped us.  

That, I think, can be an unintended consequence of potlucks (or other dinners, etc) in a small church as well. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 7 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
×
×
  • Create New...