• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Baptist Buffets…

• Moderators

Never said it was every church.

Trust me, as someone who’s likely spent more time in church kitchens, when someone needs to be present to watch the ovens, one person is sufficient and more people slow things down (and distract each other by talking).  I think there’s a saying about that somewhere…

• Members
2 hours ago, Salyan said:

Never said it was every church.

Trust me, as someone who’s likely spent more time in church kitchens, when someone needs to be present to watch the ovens, one person is sufficient and more people slow things down (and distract each other by talking).  I think there’s a saying about that somewhere…

Please, pray tell, where I said it was in "every church." My aren't we touchy, or it seems so to me....am I reading you incorrectly? 

• Moderators

You have a short memory. ? 

46 minutes ago, BrotherTony said:

Please, pray tell, where I said it was in "every church." My aren't we touchy, or it seems so to me....am I reading you incorrectly? 

6 hours ago, BrotherTony said:

Salyan, I'm sure you already realize this, but it's not the same way in every church.

I don't appreciate having words put into my mouth, and I don't appreciate men mansplaining how they think a job they probably never do would work better (i.e. be 'fairer' or 'quicker') - but maybe I misread your intent on that second point. 

Also, if people aren't being touchy, suggesting they are being so is a great way to make them so. JMHO. ?  

• Members
21 minutes ago, Salyan said:

You have a short memory. ? 

I don't appreciate having words put into my mouth, and I don't appreciate men mansplaining how they think a job they probably never do would work better (i.e. be 'fairer' or 'quicker') - but maybe I misread your intent on that second point. 

Also, if people aren't being touchy, suggesting they are being so is a great way to make them so. JMHO. ?  

No offense was meant...but you DO seem to be a bit touchy to me. I wasn't "manslplaining...but, you're DEFINITELY entitled to your opinion. Again, no disrespect intended. I can only go by what the WOMEN in the churches I've attended and my wife have told me. I didn't hear much talk from them while I was teaching Childrens church just down the hall while they were preparing things.....As far as memory goes, I definitely DON'T have a short one! Have a nice evening.

Additional: I did look back over my post to you, and yes, I did use the words "every church," but you're taking the words out of context. Not cool!

Edited by BrotherTony

• Administrators

So, anyway...

We, as I said, are a very small church. We meet in a manufactured home, so the kitchen and the "auditorium" are in one big room. Hence, if someone were to begin warming food (or, as has happened, turn on the coffee pot or the oven) while the service is going on, it would disturb the entire service...and has.  So, my husband, not too long after he became pastor, had to institute  "no working in the kitchen during service" . That sure cut down on a lot of interruption.

As I said, after the service we get things ready. I had to ask my husband to announce that the men give the ladies a chance to get stuff out because there were two men who thought they were special (they honestly did...) and could just bulldoze in as things were being set out and dish up their food because they were hungry. Apparently they didn't think anyone else was. lol.  Now the issue is that our kitchen area is so small that if two ladies are working there, it gets quite crowded. When there are 4, nothing gets done in a timely manner...

We have had attenders who think that, just because the kitchen is there, they can go to the fridge and get a drink, or go through cupboards looking for something, etc., during the service; bring in their coffee or whatever to the service area, etc. So we had to "close the kitchen." From 5 minutes before Sunday School til after the morning service, the kitchen is closed. We have a sign that says such that we put out...have to because there are folks who think if it's not there that means free-for-all.

Meeting in a manufactured home can be problematic in that folks associate it with a home rather than a church building. My hubs has worked on creating a less casual attitude toward meeting to corporately worship. God is good and has definitely helped us.  

That, I think, can be an unintended consequence of potlucks (or other dinners, etc) in a small church as well. 

• Administrators

I have no problem with feeding the flock with physical food as well as Spiritual food. I guess you don't have to physically feed the folks if you are just there for an hour or so. It's the Lords day, not the Lord's morning.  We have at times taken breaks to eat so we can come right back for more preaching. Fellowship with the saints is an important part of our church. It's not about filling a pew, church is an event.