• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Baptist Buffets…

• Members

Baptist loves to eat and I am one of them, I love going to church and the fellowship with the brothers and sisters in Christ, but sometimes, I believe the church is going a little too far with these buffets and dinners after church. I know we get our spiritual food first and then our physical food second. But we must remember that the church is a place of fellowship, worship and praise, to hear the gospel being preached, and to bring our ties and offering. The church is a place that must be respected add taken care of. Anything else we bring into the church could, believe me or not can hurt the church. what do you think about these churches, they have buffets and lunches and dinners every Sunday?

D8BF33C8-7C00-47BB-A1F7-EAE7D06F9EF6.jpeg.7de61e026e8e22f90c0bce9dec32eb0c.jpeg

• Members
3 hours ago, E Morales said:

Baptist loves to eat and I am one of them, I love going to church and the fellowship with the brothers and sisters in Christ, but sometimes, I believe the church is going a little too far with these buffets and dinners after church. I know we get our spiritual food first and then our physical food second. But we must remember that the church is a place of fellowship, worship and praise, to hear the gospel being preached, and to bring our ties and offering. The church is a place that must be respected add taken care of. Anything else we bring into the church could, believe me or not can hurt the church. what do you think about these churches, they have buffets and lunches and dinners every Sunday?

I've never heard of a Baptist church that has buffets or fellowship every week after service....I'm not against buffets or fellowships after church, but don't believe they should used every week. In most of the IFB churches I was in growing up and in my early married years, we usually had one fellowship on a Sunday evening a month. To say what each church should or shouldn't do is becoming legalistic, as each church is free to choose how they run their own worship, their own fellowships, etc. It's really NONE of our business how another church conducts their fellowships, unless of course, they're bringing a reproach upon the name of Christ.

• Administrators

We attended a church for a time that had lunch potluck each Sunday. But they did this because they were without a pastor, so their guest preacher would teach/preach Sunday School and the morning service, we'd eat lunch, and then have the afternoon service. That way the visiting preacher could get home in a timely manner (one of them came from several hours away, the others 1-2 hours). We liked it because we traveled almost 40 minutes one way, and had to cross the Hood Canal Bridge both times...the bridge opens at times which can cause a very long waiting time. One Sunday morning, we were unable to get to church because the bridge shut down and didn't reopen. 

Our current church was in the same circumstance when we began attending. No pastor, and a rotation of three different men preaching for the morning service. The members of the church had decided at the beginning of the circuit to bring lunch so that the speakers and their families could eat. There was no afternoon service; evening service was just the members. It was nice for a while, but then when my hubs became pastor, there were issues that arose...so he did away with the meal and went to just snacks. That had its own issues, and was done away with when Covid hit. He did institute our first Sunday potluck, which we still do. We have an afternoon service (at which my son teaches) and no evening service. It makes for a bit of different and we all enjoy it. 

I think if a church wants to have a meal together every week, that's their choice. I do know of a few churches that have a meal each Sunday. IMO, it's no biggie - in fact, meal time is a very good time to fellowship together. Something we all need.

• Members
2 minutes ago, HappyChristian said:

We attended a church for a time that had lunch potluck each Sunday. But they did this because they were without a pastor, so their guest preacher would teach/preach Sunday School and the morning service, we'd eat lunch, and then have the afternoon service. That way the visiting preacher could get home in a timely manner (one of them came from several hours away, the others 1-2 hours). We liked it because we traveled almost 40 minutes one way, and had to cross the Hood Canal Bridge both times...the bridge opens at times which can cause a very long waiting time. One Sunday morning, we were unable to get to church because the bridge shut down and didn't reopen. 

Our current church was in the same circumstance when we began attending. No pastor, and a rotation of three different men preaching for the morning service. The members of the church had decided at the beginning of the circuit to bring lunch so that the speakers and their families could eat. There was no afternoon service; evening service was just the members. It was nice for a while, but then when my hubs became pastor, there were issues that arose...so he did away with the meal and went to just snacks. That had its own issues, and was done away with when Covid hit. He did institute our first Sunday potluck, which we still do. We have an afternoon service (at which my son teaches) and no evening service. It makes for a bit of different and we all enjoy it. 

I think if a church wants to have a meal together every week, that's their choice. I do know of a few churches that have a meal each Sunday. IMO, it's no biggie - in fact, meal time is a very good time to fellowship together. Something we all need.

@HappyChristianGoodies to eat are nice; but it's the Biblical, spiritual food that really counts for lasting nourishment! ?

• Administrators
1 minute ago, farouk said:

@HappyChristianGoodies to eat are nice; but it's the Biblical, spiritual food that really counts for lasting nourishment! ?

I never said otherwise. But it is a truth that hungry people don't learn as well, so there's that, too.

• Members
Just now, HappyChristian said:

I never said otherwise. But it is a truth that hungry people don't learn as well, so there's that, too.

I also find that if I've eaten too much during the intermission, during the next sermon I might start to feel.....a bit....zzzzzz.......:)

• Members
5 hours ago, farouk said:

I also find that if I've eaten too much during the intermission, during the next sermon I might start to feel.....a bit....zzzzzz.......:)

Depends on what you choose to eat and just how much you eat! There are food combinations, even in foods that aren't ideal that will help keep one awake. Stay away from most of the carbs and sweets, and you shouldn't have a problem...unless of course, you're eating turkey! ?

• Administrators
13 hours ago, farouk said:

Which is why, on our potluck days, we don't have dessert until after the last service. People save room, and don't get the zzz feeling from the sugar.  As to that, folks need to be responsible and not eat so much they'll get sleepy. ?

• Members
On 9/19/2021 at 1:53 PM, E Morales said:

“And when they had fasted and prayed, and laid their hands on them, they sent them away.” - Acts 13:3 

The early church prayed and fasted before sending the missionaries out. I've never experienced this in a church. Usually it's stuffing the gullet and complaining why we have so many physical issues like sore feet because many of us are obese.

Edited by SureWord

• Members

What happens is those nice ladies that are working in the kitchen, warming the food and getting everything ready. When they should be hearing and participating in the service. The only members that should be walking around is security, or someone to use the rest room. Members hanging around outside is another problem, just talking.

56 minutes ago, SureWord said:

“And when they had fasted and prayed, and laid their hands on them, they sent them away.” - Acts 13:3 

The early church prayed and fasted before sending the missionaries out. I've never experienced this in a church. Usually it's stuffing the gullet and complaining why we have so many physical issues like sore feet because many of us are obese.

Most Baptist don't fast, this is a weakness, I agree.

• Members
On 9/19/2021 at 1:53 PM, E Morales said:

Baptist loves to eat and I am one of them, I love going to church and the fellowship with the brothers and sisters in Christ, but sometimes, I believe the church is going a little too far with these buffets and dinners after church. I know we get our spiritual food first and then our physical food second. But we must remember that the church is a place of fellowship, worship and praise, to hear the gospel being preached, and to bring our tithes and offering. The church is a place that must be respected and taken care of. Anything else we bring into the church could, believe me or not can hurt the church. what do you think about these churches, they have buffets and lunches and dinners every Sunday?

Spelling change for tithes also and...   Thanks

Edited by E Morales

• Administrators
5 hours ago, E Morales said:

What happens is those nice ladies that are working in the kitchen, warming the food and getting everything ready. When they should be hearing and participating in the service. The only members that should be walking around is security, or someone to use the rest room. Members hanging around outside is another problem, just talking.

Not at our church. Food is kept warm either in a crockpot or in the oven, turned on before any service begins. And no work to set it out until after the service is over. As for security, we have a very small church and our one "security" sits in the service along with everyone else. He has very quick reaction times... ? And members don't hang around outside just talking. Let's not broadbrush - maybe "what often happens" instead...

• Members
7 hours ago, HappyChristian said:

Not at our church. Food is kept warm either in a crockpot or in the oven, turned on before any service begins. And no work to set it out until after the service is over. As for security, we have a very small church and our one "security" sits in the service along with everyone else. He has very quick reaction times... ? And members don't hang around outside just talking. Let's not broadbrush - maybe "what often happens" instead...

I agree. In our church we have several "security" people...all carry guns, and i believe at least one is an officer somewhere nearby. In our church, being small (between 80 and 140 people on any given Sunday), our fellowships usually have the ladies and some men leaving the service just before the invitation to get the food warmed and put onto the tables. It doesn't take long. Fellowships are a great way to make sure that visitors feel welcomed if they've come on that particular Sunday, and we've had several come to the Lord because of the time spent on them on those Sundays. That's one thing I do love about our church. It was also, for my wife and I, a GREAT WAY to get to know other people who were in our SS class, in the church as deacons, and just to meet others our own age or a bit older. I wouldn't change a thing.

• Moderators
19 hours ago, E Morales said:

What happens is those nice ladies that are working in the kitchen, warming the food and getting everything ready. When they should be hearing and participating in the service. The only members that should be walking around is security, or someone to use the rest room. Members hanging around outside is another problem, just talking

I agree with that. We’ve had times where there’ll be three ladies setting up in the kitchen - where only one is needed - and Sometimes with children’s church on the other side of the divider. Or men taking long over their mid-service coffee. Adults forget and talk out loud and it was such a distraction to the kids. The fellowship can wait an extra ten minutes after service.

With Covid now, our basement fellowship space is service overflow. So now they can’t set up early and have to wait till after the service. ?

• Members
13 minutes ago, Salyan said:

I agree with that. We’ve had times where there’ll be three ladies setting up in the kitchen - where only one is needed - and Sometimes with children’s church on the other side of the divider. Or men taking long over their mid-service coffee. Adults forget and talk out loud and it was such a distraction to the kids. The fellowship can wait an extra ten minutes after service.

With Covid now, our basement fellowship space is service overflow. So now they can’t set up early and have to wait till after the service. ?

Salyan, I'm sure you already realize this, but it's not the same way in every church. In our church, they have Jr. Church in the area where we fellowship. But, at the present, because of Covid, they can use one of the other, larger rooms which is away from the kitchen and fellowship hall. Many smaller churches do have a problem like you mentioned, though, and that's a shame. They really should wait until the service is complete. I know in a smaller church my wife and I worked with in Illinois would have the congregation sing a couple of hymns or ask for testimonies while the ladies warmed the dishes. It worked pretty well. ? I believe that more than one lady will usually set up because it wouldn't seem fair to burden just one person when a second or third could help the process to be quicker. JMHO.