• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Anyone else here of Irish heritage?

• Members

I am of Irish heritage on both my mother's side and my birth father's sides of the family....of course, there are other things mixed in...Spanish, Morroccan, Italian, American Indian and so on....I used to hear my grandfather say this short phrase often when I was a child....and I heard it several years ago on Celtic Thunder's presentation on PBS.... I know what it means having learned SOME of the Irish....but do any of you know what it means without looking it up? 

A Thiarna, déan trócaire
A Chríost, déan trócaire
A Thiarna, déan trócaire

• Members
3 minutes ago, Bouncing Bill said:

A tiny bit Irish. Only God knows all that is mixed in my heritage. Lines of ancestors on from my mother and father trace back to the 1600s here in the new world. 

We've actually traced some of our lineage back to the 980 AD. Was surprised that they could do that, but some of my birth father's family history is pretty well preseerved. My mother's side has been traced back to the 1360's. That's a pretty rare feat from what I've been told.

• Administrators

Both my husband and I have a good dose of Irish. My husband is actually descended from High King O'Neill. One of my lines of Irish ancestry is the Devlins (my great-grandfather Devlin came to America as a young boy during the potato famine).

There is a mishmash of other lineage - Scottish, English, Welsh, German, American Indian 

My hubs got the anglo Irish look - blonde and blue eyes, while I have the black Irish look  - dark hair and green eyes. Our son got the red hair and blue eyes that is so Celtic (of course, the fact that I prayed for a red-haired, blue-eyed boy had nothing to do with it, right? heehee).

A fun note is that Scottish heritage is actually Irish...the word Scotus, which is from which Scots came, literally means Irish. So by saying a person has Scotch-Irish lineage (which I do - MacPheters) one is literally saying they have Irish-Irish lineage. =D That is the reason that the Scotch language is just called Gaelic, while the Irish language is Irish Gaelic. A fascinating read is How the Irish Saved Civilization. There is some language in it that is not good, but that, sadly, is the Irish way.

Once upon a time we had thought God was calling us to Ireland as missionaries. I began studying the Irish language, as languages have always fascinated me, and the history. I did learn some things about how to pronounce words, but not necessarily their meanings. My favorite is Dia Dhuit: pronounced Jee-uh Gwitch. That means good day. Add "er mawjin" (spelled phonetically) and it means good morning. 

As to the words you posted, @BrotherTony, I did not know what they were so had to look them up (even though I've heard the song...). I did know that Chriost was Christ, and that Thiarna had something to do with the Godhead.

• Members
23 hours ago, HappyChristian said:

Both my husband and I have a good dose of Irish. My husband is actually descended from High King O'Neill. One of my lines of Irish ancestry is the Devlins (my great-grandfather Devlin came to America as a young boy during the potato famine).

There is a mishmash of other lineage - Scottish, English, Welsh, German, American Indian 

My hubs got the anglo Irish look - blonde and blue eyes, while I have the black Irish look  - dark hair and green eyes. Our son got the red hair and blue eyes that is so Celtic (of course, the fact that I prayed for a red-haired, blue-eyed boy had nothing to do with it, right? heehee).

A fun note is that Scottish heritage is actually Irish...the word Scotus, which is from which Scots came, literally means Irish. So by saying a person has Scotch-Irish lineage (which I do - MacPheters) one is literally saying they have Irish-Irish lineage. =D That is the reason that the Scotch language is just called Gaelic, while the Irish language is Irish Gaelic. A fascinating read is How the Irish Saved Civilization. There is some language in it that is not good, but that, sadly, is the Irish way.

Once upon a time we had thought God was calling us to Ireland as missionaries. I began studying the Irish language, as languages have always fascinated me, and the history. I did learn some things about how to pronounce words, but not necessarily their meanings. My favorite is Dia Dhuit: pronounced Jee-uh Gwitch. That means good day. Add "er mawjin" (spelled phonetically) and it means good morning. 

As to the words you posted, @BrotherTony, I did not know what they were so had to look them up (even though I've heard the song...). I did know that Chriost was Christ, and that Thiarna had something to do with the Godhead.

@HappyChristianDid you ever get to visit/travel a bit in Ireland? fascinating country....

And Northern Ireland....well, in some ways Northern Ireland is as different from the Republic as Texas is from Alaska... ?

• Members

I'm one of the "Black Irish,"  as I used to have jet black hair and green eyes. My grandfather and mom both had jet black hair as well! Mom's is white/grey now like mine, but my mom's sister had black hair until the day she passed away a couple of years ago at the age of 80. I was always told that the Irish were the "scum of the earth," and it bothered me as a child...but, when I grew older and saw all of the things that the Irish had actually done in this country, I was proud to be Irish. Most of the family from my birth father's side were Irish nobility. They had to start changing their names and the spellings of the last name, even going as far as taking their wive's maiden names to avoid being killed in the many conflicts in the country between the  800's and 1600's. Many moved to Morocco and Spain, where they ended up intermarrying with the family of Christopher Columbus, who owned the castle next to my ancestors. I'm related to some very interesting people in history, and I am so thankful that several of my relatives thought to keep records over the years, and other decided to do some historical research. My great grandfather used to be a basket weaver in Southern Indiana, along with his father and five brothers. My grandfather's baskets were owned by the Czar of Russia, Kaiser Wilhelm, Lenin and others from overseas. He was one of the best in the world. He's listed in the Indiana University historical pages because of his basket weaving, and they used to teach some of his methods back in the day. Now, it's a lot art because of automation!

• Administrators
13 hours ago, farouk said:

@HappyChristianDid you ever get to visit/travel a bit in Ireland? fascinating country....

And Northern Ireland....well, in some ways Northern Ireland is as different from the Republic as Texas is from Alaska... ?

No, I haven't had the opportunity to visit yet. Hubs did when we were talking/praying about going. He loved it and, if it weren't for me and our son being here in the states, didn't want to come back. lol. Our church took on a missionary-to-Ireland family last year. We've known the young man since just after his birth and the young lady served in ministry with us for quite a while. My hope is that we can visit over there some time.

Northern Ireland is the stomping ground of much of my roots. As I mentioned, I am of Devlin descent...look up the name Bernadette Devlin and you'll see some of my very-distant family. ???

7 hours ago, BrotherTony said:

I'm one of the "Black Irish,"  as I used to have jet black hair and green eyes. My grandfather and mom both had jet black hair as well! Mom's is white/grey now like mine, but my mom's sister had black hair until the day she passed away a couple of years ago at the age of 80. I was always told that the Irish were the "scum of the earth," and it bothered me as a child...but, when I grew older and saw all of the things that the Irish had actually done in this country, I was proud to be Irish. Most of the family from my birth father's side were Irish nobility. They had to start changing their names and the spellings of the last name, even going as far as taking their wive's maiden names to avoid being killed in the many conflicts in the country between the  800's and 1600's. Many moved to Morocco and Spain, where they ended up intermarrying with the family of Christopher Columbus, who owned the castle next to my ancestors. I'm related to some very interesting people in history, and I am so thankful that several of my relatives thought to keep records over the years, and other decided to do some historical research. My great grandfather used to be a basket weaver in Southern Indiana, along with his father and five brothers. My grandfather's baskets were owned by the Czar of Russia, Kaiser Wilhelm, Lenin and others from overseas. He was one of the best in the world. He's listed in the Indiana University historical pages because of his basket weaving, and they used to teach some of his methods back in the day. Now, it's a lot art because of automation!

We, too, have many interesting and fascinating ancestors. My favorite is George Washington. ?  Of course, he had no children, but we are related to him via his mom's cousin (therefore his, duh) Moses Ball. While we were living in IN, I met another woman who was also related to him via Moses. Cool beans.

I think you would enjoy the book I mentioned. It really has some fascinating information. Thomas Cahill is the author.