• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Needed: Ideas for Make Ahead Breakfasts

• Members

My wife cooks breakfast every morning when she can, and I cook supper in the evenings. For the last five years, most mornings she has had 3 eggs and one slice of bacon, as I've had a bacon, egg and cheese sandwich...but we're looking to change things up. We've tried many casseroles for breakfast, but we'd sort of like to get away from so many eggs. Are there any quick, protein packed recipes or make aheads that we can make and just pop into the microwave each morning for the sake of time and clean-up? We've looked at several things in the old Taste of Home magazines we had, and nothing really seemed to be "our cup of tea!" What do you make ahead of time and freeze until needed or make the night before? Any input would be appreciated.

• Members
2 hours ago, Jim_Alaska said:

Protein? Quick and easy?  Open a can of beans, micro for 3 minutes. 

There, now you have proteins and quick and easy. There is more about NO cleanup, but I'll save it for another time. Happy Anniversary GIF

My wife's daddy used to open a can of beans about three times a week and eat them! I doubt she'd go for this, though I would! We used to have to do this on the farms I worked at in Illinois and Wisconsin. I love most beans...and you're right, they ARE VERY HIGH PROTEIN and ENERGY!  We keep a slew of them in stock here at the house for "lean" times. 

My wife will sometimes make some kind of casserole up in advance, but we just don't find this appealing any longer. It feeds us for several mornings. I do the same for supper...I'll make one of my Italian or Mexican Casseroles, and we'll eat on them for about four or five days. Or, I'll make a huge pot of chili, beans w/ cornbread, something my wife's grandmother used to call  her Rice and Tomato soup (also w/cornbread), or one of a hundred other things we love that will last us and be economical. It just seems like breakfast is the hardest meal to do this for. We can't seem to find anything that will stay away from as many eggs as we eat. Don't get me wrong, we like eggs, just not every day if there's something to switch off too! ?

• Members

BB, we usually eat oatmeal on the weekends. We'll put strawberries, peaches, apples or banana's in it. I used to eat uncooked oatmeal, but after the gastro physicians told me that was one of the things contributing to my blood loss, I stopped.

• Administrators

Maybe you could look into some keto muffins. When my hubs was eating keto (wish he still was - he was getting healthy then!), I made several different kinds of muffins. One that my son really liked was a cherry muffin, using sugar free jello. The "flour" was almond flour - simply finely ground almonds. It doesn't act exactly like wheat flour, but it does hold together. Between the almond flour and the gelatin in the sugar free jello, there was a lot of protein. The muffins do all take eggs, but you can't taste them. If you were concerned about the artificial sweetener in the jello, you could use plain gelatin and flavor it with whatever you wanted. And they freeze well. There are a number of other recipes you could give a try as well. I made my hubs apple cake using the almond flour. Protein and fruit (it also had nuts on top). 

You could also fix sausage/cheese biscuits (regular biscuits). They could be frozen and popped into the microwave when you were ready to eat them. And no egg necessary.

If you like cottage cheese, you could go that route - I've eaten cottage cheese, fruit, and toast for breakfast before. It's really pretty tasty and filling. Mom likes pineapple with her cottage cheese, which I do as well. But I actually prefer it with tomato (so I can salt and pepper it).  Not something you would fix in advance, but something that would be easy to throw together quickly.

If you like Mexican food, you could fix up some breakfast burritos using taco fixings instead of eggs. They would freeze well.

My son likes Spam (ugh!). Sliced thin and fried. He likes the whole can fried up so he can just grab a few slices whenever he wants.

Back to the keto idea, there is keto pancake and waffle mix, again using nut flour so quite full of protein. You could cook up a bunch of pancakes and/or waffles and freeze them. They could be zapped in the microwave or put in the toaster.

Mom has been on an English muffin kick for a while. She eats one every morning - slathered with cream cheese. Something like that would be quick to fix, and if you fried up a pound of bacon or sausage in advance, you could add that so you have a bit more protein.

Hope you find some things that will work for you. I know how it is to get tired of eggs. Myself, I enjoy a cup of instant oatmeal or instant cream of wheat and a slice of toast most mornings. Not much protein, though.