• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Churches Abandon Baptist Name

Go to solution Solved by Hugh_Flower,

• Members
54 minutes ago, TheGloryLand said:

John the Independent Baptist, started the first church. ?

LOL John was a Jew, and was a "baptizer," not a Baptist, per se. And we all know who founded the Christian church! ??✝️✡️

• Administrators

Matthew 3:1 (KJV) In those days came John the Baptist, preaching in the wilderness of Judaea,

Luke 7:28 (KJV) For I say unto you, Among those that are born of women there is not a greater prophet than John the Baptist: but he that is least in the kingdom of God is greater than he.

Luke 7:33 (KJV) For John the Baptist came neither eating bread nor drinking wine; and ye say, He hath a devil.

Matthew 11:12 (KJV) And from the days of John the Baptist until now the kingdom of heaven suffereth violence, and the violent take it by force.

• Members
4 hours ago, Jim_Alaska said:

Matthew 3:1 (KJV) In those days came John the Baptist, preaching in the wilderness of Judaea,

Luke 7:28 (KJV) For I say unto you, Among those that are born of women there is not a greater prophet than John the Baptist: but he that is least in the kingdom of God is greater than he.

Luke 7:33 (KJV) For John the Baptist came neither eating bread nor drinking wine; and ye say, He hath a devil.

Matthew 11:12 (KJV) And from the days of John the Baptist until now the kingdom of heaven suffereth violence, and the violent take it by force.

English TRANSLATION of a Greek/Hebrew/Aramaic word...his action was that of a baptizer, or "baptist." Using your reasoning, we could well call ourselves "The church of God," or "the church of God." ? 

Edited by BrotherTony
To put back in what my correction software deleted.

• Administrators

I was not contending that John was the founder of the church at all, someone else stuck that thought in there.

What I was pointing out is that God Himself, in the form if HIs Holy Spirit, as well as Jesus Himself, named John "The Baptist." That is why I gave Scripture to support this thought; Scripture calls him "The Baptist". Baptist was not his name, nor did it define what he did, but rather who he was. Baptist was his title, just as our title, being Baptists, is Baptist.

If God named John, " the Baptist" that is good enough for me and does not torture Scripture. Matthew 3:1 (KJV) In those days came John the Baptist, preaching in the wilderness of Judaea,

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members
On 5/16/2023 at 4:53 PM, Jim_Alaska said:

I was not contending that John was the founder of the church at all, someone else stuck that thought in there.

What I was pointing out is that God Himself, in the form if HIs Holy Spirit, as well as Jesus Himself, named John "The Baptist." That is why I gave Scripture to support this thought; Scripture calls him "The Baptist". Baptist was not his name, nor did it define what he did, but rather who he was. Baptist was his title, just as our title, being Baptists, is Baptist.

If God named John, " the Baptist" that is good enough for me and does not torture Scripture. Matthew 3:1 (KJV) In those days came John the Baptist, preaching in the wilderness of Judaea,

When John the Baptist was baptizing, was he in the Old Testament or he was already in the New Testament? Before Jesus started His ministry. When does the New Testament exactly begin? Before His birth, or at His birth.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members
1 minute ago, TheGloryLand said:

It might be a waste of time for you. Why ask why? We have many readers here. I don't say you are wasting my time.

Because hypotheticals ARE a waste of time in most instances. 

• Members
14 minutes ago, TheGloryLand said:

Maybe, like what you are eating. Just saying, it interesting for some.

What one is eating is a valid question when it comes to weird dreams. Any good doctor or psychologist will tell you that. Hasn't this thread gotten a bit off track?

• Members
12 minutes ago, BrotherTony said:

What one is eating is a valid question when it comes to weird dreams. Any good doctor or psychologist will tell you that. Hasn't this thread gotten a bit off track?

Yes, it has gotten off track