• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Churches Abandon Baptist Name

Go to solution Solved by Hugh_Flower,

• Members
29 minutes ago, PastorMatt said:

Don't disagree with you there at all. .... But if it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it probably is a duck. Or it may just say it's a bird because other ducks gave ducks a bad name.  ?

Having been in at least three churches that had serious sexual and other scandals, I can't say I blame those who have changed their names. As you yourself would agree, being autonomous they have every right to do so if they choose. There is nothing in scripture compelling them to use that particular moniker, especially not to please others. To be fair, your comparison "doesn't fly." LOL 

Edited by BrotherTony

• Administrators
30 minutes ago, BrotherTony said:

Having been in at least three churches that had serious sexual and other scandals, I can't say I blame those who have changed their names. As you yourself would agree, being autonomous they have every right to do so if they choose. There is nothing in scripture compelling them to use that particular moniker, especially not to please others. To be fair, your comparison "doesn't fly." LOL 

My comparison is in the Baptist beliefs.  For example, over here, many nondomination churches say they are Baptistic in doctrine. I really don't care what name is on a church sign. I just find it ironic. To me, that's what a title does, tell you what the basic beliefs are. I've seen some Baptist churches that should just remove Baptist off it. lol

• Members
6 minutes ago, PastorMatt said:

My comparison is in the Baptist beliefs.  For example, over here, many nondomination churches say they are Baptistic in doctrine. I really don't care what name is on a church sign. I just find it ironic. To me, that's what a title does, tell you what the basic beliefs are. I've seen some Baptist churches that should just remove Baptist off it. lol

I can wholeheartedly agree with that. Personally I would PREFER they keep the name regardless of what has or hasn't happened in the past. It keeps them accountable. But, remember, I am a realist. 

• Members

Most of the churches that I saw, I believe want to remove the name Baptist from their churches, is because they are moving towards being more liberal, more Pentecostal faith, or simply trying to please the community. I believe they’re selling out, or the former pastor passed away, and the new generation is taken over. ?

• Members
6 minutes ago, TheGloryLand said:

Most of the churches that I saw, I believe want to remove the name Baptist from their churches, is because they are moving towards being more liberal, more Pentecostal faith, or simply trying to please the community. I believe they’re selling out, or the former pastor passed away, and the new generation is taken over. ?

It's possible that some are removing the name for the wrong reasons, ie wanting to become more liberal. But I have to say that many have finally realized that they've implemented a lot of man-made rules and traditions in the place of the Bible and are trying to distance themselves from their past. There's nothing wrong with that. After God called and changed people's lives he often changed their names for a fresh start.

• Members
4 minutes ago, BrotherTony said:

It's possible that some are removing the name for the wrong reasons, ie wanting to become more liberal. But I have to say that many have finally realized that they've implemented a lot of man-made rules and traditions in the place of the Bible and are trying to distance themselves from their past. There's nothing wrong with that. After God called and changed people's lives he often changed their names for a fresh start.

I will say, that the name Baptist has lost its ranks or power, in the world today. Similar to America, we have lost our ranks around the world. we were Generals, but now we are Lieutenant. 

• Administrators

I believe that churches that want to remove the name Baptist, do so because they do not want to be identified with what traditional Baptists have always stood for doctrinally, as well as in faith and practice. Baptists have been a hated people from their beginning. First they were hated primarily by the Jews of their day; but once the Reformation came into being, they were hated equally by all of the Roman Catholics and her sister denominations.

If you are ashamed to be identified as a Baptist, shame on you, for you trample under foot the blood of our Baptist and Anabaptist forefathers.

• Members

In regards to landmark Baptist's saying only Baptist's are saved.. I have never heard of this.

This is a misunderstanding of when the body of Christ is called only local. 

Since they would usually separate the Family of God, entered at salvation... From the body of Christ.. joined after salvation as a local church.. then there are millions of people who are not Baptist but still saved. 

As for only Baptist churches being in the churches of God.. all this means is churches that conform to the NT pattern are God's churches. 

So... a church having no Baptist in the name..but conforms to the biblical pattern of a NT church is one of them.

• Administrators
16 minutes ago, MikeWatson1 said:

In regards to landmark Baptist's saying only Baptist's are saved.. I have never heard of this.

Since they would usually separate the Family of God, entered at salvation... From the body of Christ.. joined after salvation as a local church.. then there are millions of people who are not Baptist but still saved. 

As for only Baptist churches being in the churches of God.. all this means is churches that conform to the NT pattern are God's churches. 

So... a church having no Baptist in the name..but conforms to the biblical pattern of a NT church is one of them.

There is a vast difference between a church "having no Baptist in the name," and churches that are removing the name Baptist.

• Members
4 hours ago, MikeWatson1 said:

I also never heard Baptist were the only one saved? I was raised Catholic, they did planted a seed, in my opinion, but later in life. I was presented with the gospel of salvation. This was through the Baptist ministry. Notice, I said ministries, not the church. I got saved at my home, by a follow up visit. Visitation is good my friends. 

• Members

The pastor  who dropped "Baptist" from the church's name still holds all the same doctrines and "Baptist distinctives". I think having a clear cut Statement of Faith is more important than the denominational title. I've been to Baptist churches that had no Statement of Faith anywhere to be found.  Many of their websites are notorious for this. 

Edited by SureWord

• Members
On 5/13/2023 at 6:51 PM, Jim_Alaska said:

There is a vast difference between a church "having no Baptist in the name," and churches that are removing the name Baptist.

Yes true. A church that started with a name that has no Baptist but has the NT pattern is very different to one that takes the Baptist name off and removes key characteristics of a NT church.