• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

doctrines among denominations?

• Members

There are many unsaved people in churches that don't preach the gospel but there are also a lot of saved people in churches that teach Biblical salvation outside of the Baptist church. Free Evangelicals, the Reformed Church, many Presbyterians(especially PCA), the Missionary Church, Bible Churches, and probably many others.

• Members

yea, I do not think that I was being pro-methodist, and if I came across that way, then I apologize. My point is denominational labels give a decent description of the church, but 1.) they are not the end all be all and 2.) if a church group feels they do not "fit" with the stereotype, I have no problem with them choosing a name that does not have the "title" in it.

• Members

Kevin,

I do believe there are people who are saved in other denominations, but God clearly states that many will stand before him thinking they are saved and he will say "Depart from me, I never knew you". I believe that most of these people will be from the denominations that have perverted the truth. The have 95% truth and 5% lie. That 5% will send them to hell.

• Members
Kevin,

I do believe there are people who are saved in other denominations, but God clearly states that many will stand before him thinking they are saved and he will say "Depart from me, I never knew you". I believe that most of these people will be from the denominations that have perverted the truth. The have 95% truth and 5% lie. That 5% will send them to hell.

Oh I agree that many people will be in Hell as a result of the false teachings they have received from their churches. However, there will be scores there from other denominations, as well, that still do teach the truth about salvation.

• Members
There are many unsaved people in churches that don't preach the gospel but there are also a lot of saved people in churches that teach Biblical salvation outside of the Baptist church. Free Evangelicals' date=' the Reformed Church, many Presbyterians(especially PCA), the Missionary Church, Bible Churches, and probably many others.[/quote']
But you can only say that because you have an idea of what the doctrines are among those denominations... ironic, eh? :saint

• Members

lol. Sure, I know that they, for the most part, teach Biblical salvation. But my point was that people in other denominations can be God's children, as well, not whether or not they should have denominational names. :frog
Plus, I don't really have a problem if someone wants to be part of a denomination, I don't care for it but I don't really have a problem with it. I only have a problem when the name becomes more important than bearing Christ's name, that of Christianity and it is used to alienate other Christians.

• Members
I spent many years of my life as an unsaved Baptist...and I believe there are many unsaved Baptists as well...they are just playin church.

I agree that there will be plenty of Baptists in hell also.

My point is that in 2008, there are very few churches, that aren't Baptist, that are truly preaching the Gospel.

Assembly of God - Adds to salvation
Methodist - Social Gospel
Charismatics - Adds to salvation
Lutherans - Social Gospel
Catholics - Works Salvation
Brethren - Works Salvation
Weslyans - Social Gospel
Seeker Sensitive - Social Gospel

and the list goes on. I have ment only a few people who are members of one of these denominations that has truly been saved. They claim to be saved, but when asked what they are trusting in to get to Heaven, their responses are always about their good works, they have always been saved, or their good church people.

On the other hand, I have been to many Baptist churches where the vast majority of the people were saved. The difference is simply the Baptist church predominantly preaches that to be saved one must put their trust in Jesus Christ alone and repent of their sins.

• Members

You may very well be right about those denominations that you listed but I don't think we can say that they make up the majority of denominations in the US. There are still a lot of churches, probably more than we realize, that teach true salvation. Not all churches even adhere to the beliefs of the denomination to which they are a part of who's authority they are under.

• Members
I gave a list of denominations a few posts back.

"Free Evangelicals, the Reformed Church, many Presbyterians(especially PCA), the Missionary Church, Bible Churches, and probably many others."

I wouldn't include any of these, except 1, in a list of churches that preach the Gospel.

Reformed churches hold to Calvinism in which repentance is not necessary because if God wants you saved, you will be saved.
Presbyterians - Social Gospel
Missionary Church - My BIL is a member and his wife is unsaved.
Bible Churches - Here is one I can agree with you on. There are many Bible churches that are really baptist churches.

• Members
Reformed churches hold to Calvinism in which repentance is not necessary because if God wants you saved, you will be saved.

Actually, they do believe in the necessity of repentance. They believe that God has foreordained people unto salvation but that you must repent and call on Christ just the same as we believe it. It is simply a different view of God's direction in a person's salvation but I don't know any Calvinists who don't believe in salvation as you and I believe it. Maybe you are thinking about hypercalvinists.

Presbyterians - Social Gospel

Some Presbyterians yes, but most certainly not all. If you look up many Presbyterian churches, you will find that they believe in true salvation. You'll probably find it more with PCA churches as opposed to PCUSA, which is far larger and much more liberal.

Missionary Church - My BIL is a member and his wife is unsaved.

I don't think that is evidence that the church doesn't teach salvation. lol
A lot of Baptists go to church and aren't saved either. Does that mean that Baptists don't teach salvation?

Bible Churches - Here is one I can agree with you on. There are many Bible churches that are really baptist churches.

I'm glad we're agreed but they aren't actually Baptist churches, they're Bible churches. lol If they have right doctrine, it's Biblical doctrine, not Baptist doctrine. After all, then couldn't you say that a Baptist church is actually a Bible church? :bonK: