• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Why Did God Seem to Taunt Satan, Even Dare Him to Attack Job? (THEORY FOR DISCUSSION)

• Moderators

Okay, so again I repeat, this is only a theory, really more of a fun hypothesis, and certainly not doctrine. Just curious about what anyone thinks.

Job is, supposedly, the oldest written book of scripture-I have never understood how they know that, but we can go with it.  It is often attributed to the time of the patriarchs, but I have seen differences in timing for hundreds of years, so who really knows?

Anyways, I have, for years had a thought rolling around in my mostly empty head, and wanted to share it here, (assuming I haven't already). What if Job existed around the same time period as Abram/Abraham, and God purposely taunted Satan to attack Job, not once but twice, in order to keep his attention away from the call of Abram, and his entering into Canaan? Job was an important guy, loved the Lord, eschewed sin, maybe was even associated with the order of Melchezidek, not as a priest, obviously, but a follower, hence how he knew the Lord as he did. So what if God, desiring to protect Abram and shield him from the eyes of Satan and his minions, allowed Job to be tested the way he was? The benefit being Abram not being bothered in his journey, Job gaining spiritual growth and insight, and all believers of all time reading the account of Job, benefitting from his situation.

That's it. Any thoughts? Again, just playing with an idea, nothing more. Probably brought on by my ADHD.