• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Calvinism vs Arminianism: A Discussion

• Members

I am going to start a discussion by offering my perspective on the theology of eternal destiny. I post this to sharpen my perspective through the counsel of others.

To begin, there are clear scriptures that God desires all to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth (1 Timothy 2:1-4), for all to come to faith in His Son Jesus Christ (John 3:16-18), for all to be disobedient but to then be shown mercy (Romans 11:32), and that He hates the death of those that stay wicked (Ezekiel 18:23, Ezekiel 33:11). A less clear but powerful verse seems to say that God forbears Judgment because He desires all to repent (2 Peter 3:8-9).

God also, according to scripture, knows all things (1 John 3:20), knows the end from the beginning (Isaiah 46:10), will be at the beginning and the end (Revelation 21:6, Revelation 22:13), yet many passages and parables say that many die to go to hell and this punishment is perfectly just.

Now I'm a type of compatibilist and argue that all these things are true. That God can do something that to our limited wisdom as mankind seems impossible. These are just mysteries we will understand when we are glorified before Christ.

My claim is that hundreds of different logical explanations abound for how to reconcile biblical passages on eternal destiny. These explanations, whether Arminian or Calvinist are adding to what the text says by using human wisdom. I believe we should embrace all the clear teachings of scripture and leave them in tension, if they seem to clearly contradict.

Am I right? Am I wrong? If I am, how am I wrong?

• Administrators

Steven, just FYI, this issue has been beaten to death on this message forum. You would be well advised to search out threads on Calvinism and Arminianism. You will find a lot of information there and also be able to reply to the thread.