• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Why did God change our diet

• Members
1 hour ago, trapperhoney said:

God put plants/herbs here for our benefit. If there is a legitimate health/medical benefit from ANY herb I support it. There is always a danger of abuse, so it needs to be handled carefully. I do not support "recreational" use of any herb/drug. As to specific herbs, that is up to the individual's judgment and conscience to use responsibly.

Ms. trapperhoney: Yes, it's a pity that for years before it was widely legalized some of the huge pharmaceutical companies were raking in enormous profits for patent monopolies of conventional meds, when, altenatives, if safely researched, based on cannabis resin could have cut the costs greatly for those who were ill. (Remarkable that along the border with Mexico and Canada, seniors would cross the border to buy the same conventional meds sometimes for 1/20th of the cost.)

There was a video of a lady in Vancouver, Canada using a vending machine from the Vancouver Pain Society and becoming the first vending machine customer for marijuana: if the person is a genuine patient, I think like you that it can be a positive thing.

Probably baking cookies into which very carefully measured cannabis resin has been added is a better way of ingesting it medicinally rather than smoking it, isn't it?

(An added advantage to its open market availability is that it puts dealers out of business.)

These issues have proven to be rather searching for some Christians, but people should be able to get genuine medical benefit with a clear conscience, imho.

On 8/31/2021 at 3:53 PM, Ukulelemike said:

At that time, clean and unclean would have referred to animals used for sacrifice, since that had been already a practice since the time of Cain and Abel. Since Abel used sheep for his sacrifices, and he is considered a prophet, that means the Lord probably spelled out to him personally the animals clean and unclean for sacrificing. These are the same things mentioned in respect to the animals brought on the ark, that instead of two and two, it was seven and seven, to ensure there were plenty for sacrificial use. Until the law, all animals could be eaten.

As for his dream about Gentiles, it was because Peter understood that, according to the law, Jews were not to eat with Gentiles, because their diet wasn't according to the law-but it was also more general, because now, being able to eat with Gentiles, it meant that the diet restrictions for them that were according to the law, were now lifted, making it possible to have full fellowship with their Gentile brethren. The law, including the dietary laws, were a wall between them, but that wall was broken down in Christ.

Yes, Peter's vision in Acts is a very significant passage, I think.

• Members
1 hour ago, farouk said:

Hi @Rebecca So is medicinal marijuana legal in Taiwan?(I'm not talking about 'opium den' type establishments; more the medicinal use of resin for baking in cookies, and so forth...)

No, marijuana in any form is an illegal substance in Taiwan. 

• Members
15 minutes ago, Rebecca said:

No, marijuana in any form is an illegal substance in Taiwan. 

@RebeccaAs discussed, above, people should be able to get genuine medical benefit with a clear conscience, imho. As @trapperhoney put it excellently, "God put plants/herbs here for our benefit. If there is a legitimate health/medical benefit from ANY herb I support it. There is always a danger of abuse, so it needs to be handled carefully. I do not support "recreational" use of any herb/drug. As to specific herbs, that is up to the individual's judgment and conscience to use responsibly."

Edited by farouk

• Members
2 hours ago, farouk said:

Probably baking cookies into which very carefully measured cannabis resin has been added is a better way of ingesting it medicinally rather than smoking it, isn't it?

There are other options, such as CBD oil or tinctures, many without the concerning THC, and still gives excellent pain relieving benefits. My husband has a serious degenerative arthritis and the VA wants to give him narcotics for the pain. He does not want to become dependent or an addict so he has refused. He has had success with CBD that does not contain the THC that gives the typical side effects.

• Members
32 minutes ago, trapperhoney said:

There are other options, such as CBD oil or tinctures, many without the concerning THC, and still gives excellent pain relieving benefits. My husband has a serious degenerative arthritis and the VA wants to give him narcotics for the pain. He does not want to become dependent or an addict so he has refused. He has had success with CBD that does not contain the THC that gives the typical side effects.

@trapperhoneyThank-you; and I'm sorry about your husband's condition. My wife has thought for a while that she has the beginnings of arthritis although it seems like what she goes through isn't anything like what you said your husband has. I saw this informational video by a medical doctor about CBD, and thought it was helpful:

I suppose there is the issue of how to ingest very low amounts of hemp derived CBD. A lot of baptist Christians might definitely prefer not to smoke it. The emerging possibilities of vaping might be regarded by some as less inappropriate. Otherwise another option might of course be baking it into cookies, etc.

The whole culture of diets and herbs with medicinal value - under the Creator - is an absorbing area and of course individuals will have their own preferences and conclusions. I hope your husband's condition does not degenerate more.

• Members

It's good also to remember that some believers in other countries who operate simple dispensaries in rather basic conditions will often have to make decisions on the basis of limited availability about items for ingestion based on herbs and plants, in places where there is little regulatory regime at all.

It would be unwise to try to hold such believers - sometimes veteran missionaries - to what is supposedly "correct and proper" in very conservative local church circles in North America, when the situations they have faced for years are markedly different.