• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Why did God change our diet

Leviticus 11:3-12

King James Version

3 Whatsoever parteth the hoof, and is clovenfooted, and cheweth the cud, among the beasts, that shall ye eat.

4 Nevertheless these shall ye not eat of them that chew the cud, or of them that divide the hoof: as the camel, because he cheweth the cud, but divideth not the hoof; he is unclean unto you.

5 And the coney, because he cheweth the cud, but divideth not the hoof; he is unclean unto you.

6 And the hare, because he cheweth the cud, but divideth not the hoof; he is unclean unto you.

7 And the swine, though he divide the hoof, and be clovenfooted, yet he cheweth not the cud; he is unclean to you.

8 Of their flesh shall ye not eat, and their carcase shall ye not touch; they are unclean to you.

9 These shall ye eat of all that are in the waters: whatsoever hath fins and scales in the waters, in the seas, and in the rivers, them shall ye eat.

10 And all that have not fins and scales in the seas, and in the rivers, of all that move in the waters, and of any living thing which is in the waters, they shall be an abomination unto you:

11 They shall be even an abomination unto you; ye shall not eat of their flesh, but ye shall have their carcases in abomination.

12 Whatsoever hath no fins nor scales in the waters, that shall be an abomination unto you.

14 hours ago, Martyr_4_FutureJoy said:

How did Noah and those before or with Noah know the difference between clean and unclean animals etc ?   This was some number of years before Moses was even born yet, right ? 

Why did Peter say his dream was about unclean gentiles ? 

They probably didn't know and not knowing didn't care. 

• Members
On 8/25/2021 at 4:53 PM, Ukulelemike said:

God made the official allowance of the eating of meat after Noah and his family left the ark. I suspect, if it was common, to some extent, to eat meat before that, the Lord wouldn't have had to say much. And if they were eating meat before the flood, and it was a sin and a reason for bringing the flood, I don't suspect the Lord would have then allowed it. 

But the main problem is, the Bible is completely silent about it IF people were eating meat before the flood. If it never occurred to them, because all they ate, or needed to eat, was plants, there's no reason to assume they would have. 

Indeed! Possibly the unrighteous were eating meat, but the Bible does not say. Because it is silent on it, and God tells Noah after the flood that animals are now okay to eat I had just assumed they were not eaten before that point. I have also assumed that this change in the diet probably had to do with the changes to the earth that took place during the flood, and those changes would call for a need to change the diet. It is assumed that there was a water canopy that deluged the earth and was no longer there, which would change the earth, and obviously people's lifespans shortened considerably afterward. We can't know for sure because it isn't spelled out in scripture, but those were always my thoughts on it.

• Members
21 hours ago, Martyr_4_FutureJoy said:

How did Noah and those before or with Noah know the difference between clean and unclean animals etc ?   This was some number of years before Moses was even born yet, right ? 

It is very important for gentiles !   

Bill, Read the Bible (instead of the ungodly stuff you posted so far in the past daily), 

you could know, if God Permits (His Choice).  It is written there.

6 hours ago, Bouncing Bill said:

They knew.  They cared.   They obeyed.  They served God , the One True God,  instead of the flesh, the world and the devil.

21 hours ago, Martyr_4_FutureJoy said:

It is very important for gentiles !   

Bill, Read the Bible (instead of the ungodly stuff you posted so far in the past daily), 

you could know, if God Permits (His Choice).  It is written there.

6 hours ago, Bouncing Bill said:

They knew.  They cared.   They obeyed.  They served God , the One True God,  instead of the flesh, the world and the devil.

• Moderators
On 8/29/2021 at 11:07 AM, Martyr_4_FutureJoy said:

At that time, clean and unclean would have referred to animals used for sacrifice, since that had been already a practice since the time of Cain and Abel. Since Abel used sheep for his sacrifices, and he is considered a prophet, that means the Lord probably spelled out to him personally the animals clean and unclean for sacrificing. These are the same things mentioned in respect to the animals brought on the ark, that instead of two and two, it was seven and seven, to ensure there were plenty for sacrificial use. Until the law, all animals could be eaten.

As for his dream about Gentiles, it was because Peter understood that, according to the law, Jews were not to eat with Gentiles, because their diet wasn't according to the law-but it was also more general, because now, being able to eat with Gentiles, it meant that the diet restrictions for them that were according to the law, were now lifted, making it possible to have full fellowship with their Gentile brethren. The law, including the dietary laws, were a wall between them, but that wall was broken down in Christ.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members
On 8/30/2021 at 8:39 AM, trapperhoney said:

Indeed! Possibly the unrighteous were eating meat, but the Bible does not say. Because it is silent on it, and God tells Noah after the flood that animals are now okay to eat I had just assumed they were not eaten before that point. I have also assumed that this change in the diet probably had to do with the changes to the earth that took place during the flood, and those changes would call for a need to change the diet. It is assumed that there was a water canopy that deluged the earth and was no longer there, which would change the earth, and obviously people's lifespans shortened considerably afterward. We can't know for sure because it isn't spelled out in scripture, but those were always my thoughts on it.

Ms. trapperhoney: So on the subject of diet and natural remedies, etc., what do you think of herbal remedies and marijuana, etc.?

• Members
3 minutes ago, farouk said:

Ms. trapperhoney: So on the subject of diet and natural remedies, etc., what do you think of herbal remedies and marijuana, etc.?

God put plants/herbs here for our benefit. If there is a legitimate health/medical benefit from ANY herb I support it. There is always a danger of abuse, so it needs to be handled carefully. I do not support "recreational" use of any herb/drug. As to specific herbs, that is up to the individual's judgment and conscience to use responsibly.

• Members
On 8/24/2021 at 8:36 AM, E Morales said:

Adam and Eve were vegetarians and became meat eaters after they both sin in the garden of Eve. why couldn’t they remain vegetarian, even when they had to make sacrifice of blood later. Why did God change their diet?

leave will GIF

This, I think is pretty simple...

We know that in Genesis 1:29,30 God ordered that man and beast be vegetarians.  Now, as time marched on, I would guess that the decedents of Cain began eating meat.  IN fact, I would bet some of Seth's decedents did as well.   Were they condemned to hell?  There people that we all know that seem to find ways to justify their sin.  "It doesn't say in the Bible not to smoke cigarettes' or snort coke!" "As long as I am not drunk it is ok to drink."  :It's only a swear word because we say it is...it is just words".  Name the sin...

At the very least...those people are in violation of 1 Thessalonian 5:22 KJB and Romans 14 (you'll have to look up the verse about not causing your brother to stumble.).  There are good Baptist today that try and bend the rules.  I bet there were good Baptist (tongue and cheek...but we can trace Baptist back to within about 250 years or Jesus and the 12...no other group, denomination or cult can make this claim) in the Garden of Eden that bent the rules.  Maybe not unto death...but nonetheless. 

So, when did it change?  I believe with the flood...

Genesis 6 and Genesis 7:2.  Why would the flood change us?  Think about it...most of the whole earth was under water for about 6 months...some parts not as long and some longer...we understand that. When the 8 inhabitants of the Ark got off the boat...along with about 6,800 animals give or take...they would take a look around...and not find too much cabbage...in fact most vegetation would be gone...rather than plant some cabbage...and wait...and wait...and starve...God said...hey, I have idea...take 7 of the clean kind...so you can have a nice thanksgiving dinner after you get off the boat. 

This is confirmed in the New Testament with Peter!  Acts 10 and Acts 11.  

Peter is not given absolute license to eat unclean animals. AT least No...is the short answer.

What are the unclean animals: Leviticus 11 

OK...this is my take on the change and the why.  Anyone is welcome to add or change...since obviously...only part I can confirm with Scripture. 

in Daniel 1...Daniel and his 3 buddies - Shackup Meshack and Into Bed We Go... ? refused to eat the royal meat.  He begged the Kings pardon and put him to test which the King accepted...Daniel proofed that being vegan was not only healthy...it made them better...healthier and stronger than meat eaters.

Does this mean Daniel was a vegan his whole life?  The Bible does not say.  And it doesn't matter. Point was made.  Do we have to be vegan or omnivores?

No and no...however, we would all be healthier if we were vegan or at least close.  Don't get mad at me. ? Eat meat if you like. But just know you will be healthier even cutting down...eat meat once a week, every other day...or everyday...your choice.  Maybe try it and see if you are not healthier...just give it enough time to get over your toxic hunger...your body will tell you that you need meat.  Deny those cravings and you will be on your way!  

Great question. ?