• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Why did God change our diet

3 hours ago, E Morales said:

Adam and Eve were vegetarians and became meat eaters after they both sin in the garden of Eve. why couldn’t they remain vegetarian, even when they had to make sacrifice of blood later. Why did God change their diet?

leave will GIF

Why do you think it was God who changed the diet? 

• Members
5 hours ago, E Morales said:

Adam and Eve were vegetarians and became meat eaters after they both sin in the garden of Eve. why couldn’t they remain vegetarian, even when they had to make sacrifice of blood later. Why did God change their diet?

leave will GIF

I think they were still supposed to be vegetarians after the fall but took it upon themselves to eat meat.  It was after the flood when God allowed to a degree flesh eating.

It seems like mankind started killing and eating meat after the fall but this isn't what God wanted but he allowed it after the flood. One of those "hardness of heart" issues like with God allowing divorce in the OT and to a degree under the NT even though it wasn't his original intent.

Notice in Genesis 9:3-6 the injunction against eating raw meat is in the context of murdering people. This tells me that mankind became so violent before the flood that cannibalism was a common thing.  So, after the flood God OK'd eating cooked animal meat but nothing with blood and especially no human meat.

Edited by SureWord

• Moderators
7 hours ago, E Morales said:

leave will GIF

When did Adam and Eve eat meat? The Bible says nothing about them eating meat, Adam tilled the earth, he was a gardener, as He was created to be. "And unto Adam he said, Because thou hast hearkened unto the voice of thy wife, and hast eaten of the tree, of which I commanded thee, saying, Thou shalt not eat of it: cursed is the ground for thy sake; in sorrow shalt thou eat of it all the days of thy life; Thorns also and thistles shall it bring forth to thee; and thou shalt eat the herb of the field;" (Gen 3:17, 18)

Cain was a gardener, as well. Abel raised flocks, but we don't see anywhere that they ate of the meat-we know he used them for sacrifices, and they probably used the wool for clothing, and possibly drank the milk, but we see nothing about anyone eating meat until after the flood, and that was probably because, during the flood, much of the minerals in the soil were washed into the oceans, and the best way to get the vitamins we needed was through the animals, which produced those vitamins from the depleted soils much more efficiently than we could. 

• Members
13 hours ago, E Morales said:

During the days before the flood there was much sin and party going on, like today. Its hard not to see a grill in the picture.

Meat Grilling GIF by NETFLIX 

There is still no direct Scripture saying that meat was being eaten at that time. It doesn't matter what we can picture or not, it's what we have provided through scripture. That's all that matters since the Bible is our main resource for faith and practice!

• Members
2 hours ago, BrotherTony said:

There is still no direct Scripture saying that meat was being eaten at that time. It doesn't matter what we can picture or not, it's what we have provided through scripture. That's all that matters since the Bible is our main resource for faith and practice!

Who first had meat to eat in the Bible? Old or New, I know Peter said that is unclean Lord to eat.

• Members
11 minutes ago, E Morales said:

Who first had meat to eat in the Bible? Old or New, I know Peter said that is unclean Lord to eat.

I would take it that it was Noah or one of his sons after the Ark came to rest on the Mountains of Ararat. The only condition was that they wouldn't eat the meat with the blood in it! Genesis 9:3-4. I think you already know that this is in the OT. Is there something in particular you're looking for, because if you are, you'll need to be a bit more specific about what you're looking for. When it came to Peter in the NT, this was where God was showing through the use of meats that were unclean for the Hebrews were no longer unclean...a comparison to how the Gentiles were no longer unclean, but were partakers in the administration of the Grace of Jesus Christ.

• Members
11 minutes ago, BrotherTony said:

I would take it that it was Noah or one of his sons after the Ark came to rest on the Mountains of Ararat. The only condition was that they wouldn't eat the meat with the blood in it! Genesis 9:3-4. I think you already know that this is in the OT. Is there something in particular you're looking for, because if you are, you'll need to be a bit more specific about what you're looking for. When it came to Peter in the NT, this was where God was showing through the use of meats that were unclean for the Hebrews were no longer unclean...a comparison to how the Gentiles were no longer unclean, but were partakers in the administration of the Grace of Jesus Christ.

Eating meat is not a sin, I was just wondering when did man first ate meat. Why did it take so long to start eating meat. I know that in the blood their is life, that the blood is used to cover sins in the Old and New. So it took 2000 years for this to happen, Noah and sons.

• Members
11 minutes ago, E Morales said:

Eating meat is not a sin, I was just wondering when did man first ate meat. Why did it take so long to start eating meat. I know that in the blood their is life, that the blood is used to cover sins in the Old and New. So it took 2000 years for this to happen, Noah and sons.

If you're referring to Noah and sons being 2000 years after the garden, Further explanation of your placement of the 2000 years. I think it was closer to 1700 years from the Garden to the flood. But, who's going to quibble over a few hundred years? As far as eating meat being a sin, no, I don't believe it was or is. There are many brothers/sisters who won't eat meat and eat only a vegetarian diet. Some of them seem far more healthy than those who eat meat. 

• Moderators

God made the official allowance of the eating of meat after Noah and his family left the ark. I suspect, if it was common, to some extent, to eat meat before that, the Lord wouldn't have had to say much. And if they were eating meat before the flood, and it was a sin and a reason for bringing the flood, I don't suspect the Lord would have then allowed it. 

But the main problem is, the Bible is completely silent about it IF people were eating meat before the flood. If it never occurred to them, because all they ate, or needed to eat, was plants, there's no reason to assume they would have. 

I have read the Jewish dietary laws were written in the 6th century BC. I do now know when they came into practice in that culture. My guess is some centuries before they were written down.

Genesis 9:3 gives permission to eat meat.

KJV of Genesis 9:3

Every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you; even as the green herb have I given you all things.

Edited by Bouncing Bill

• Members
3 hours ago, Bouncing Bill said:

I have read the Jewish dietary laws were written in the 6th century BC. I do now know when they came into practice in that culture. My guess is some centuries before they were written down.

Genesis 9:3 gives permission to eat meat.

KJV of Genesis 9:3

Every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you; even as the green herb have I given you all things.

Yeah. I remembered something like this… I was confused what you guys where saying.

The only meat I know that is unclean now is meet offered to idols? And even then I believe we in the Church are told not to dissuade those from eating it?