Jump to content
Online Baptist Community
  • Newest Sermon Entry

    • By 1Timothy115 in Devotionals
         11
      Psalms 119:1-8                                         Sep. 5 - Oct. 2, 2019
      1 ALEPH. Blessed are the undefiled in the way, who walk in the law of the LORD.
      2 Blessed are they that keep his testimonies, and that seek him with the whole heart.
      3 They also do no iniquity: they walk in his ways.
      4 Thou hast commanded us to keep thy precepts diligently.
      5 O that my ways were directed to keep thy statutes!
      6 Then shall I not be ashamed, when I have respect unto all thy commandments.
      7 I will praise thee with uprightness of heart, when I shall have learned thy righteous judgments.
      8 I will keep thy statutes: O forsake me not utterly.
      The following verse stood out to me...
      5 O that my ways were directed to keep thy statutes!
      At first glance it seemed to me this person’s soul is poured out with intense desire to have God’s direction in keeping His Word.
      I made a small wood fire in our backyard for my granddaughter, Julia, since she would be staying overnight with us. My wife and Julia stayed outside at the fire for about half an hour. Then, I found myself alone to watch the fire die out on a particularly lovely evening. So I took my verse from above and began to repeat it for memorization. As I repeated the verse, I tried to contemplate the words and apply them to what I was seeing around me. 
      The moon and stars were out now peering through the scattered clouds above.
      [Genesis 1:16 And God made two great lights; the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night: he made the stars also. Genesis 1:17 And God set them in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth, Genesis 1:18 And to rule over the day and over the night, and to divide the light from the darkness: and God saw that it was good.]
      Thought 1         
      The moon has stayed his course since the day God created him, also the stars, obeying the statutes directed by God from the first day they were created. Can you imagine God’s direction to the Moon and stars, “moon you will have a path through the sky above the earth, stars you will occupy the firmament above the moon and be clearly visible in the cloudless night sky.”
      Then, the trees, grass, even the air we breathe obey the statues God gave them from the beginning. None of these creations have souls, none have hearts, none have intelligence, but they all observe God’s statutes, His instructions for their limited time on earth.
      Thought 2
      What if we were like the moon, stars, trees, grass, or the other creations which have no soul? We would be directed to keep God’s statutes without choosing to keep them. This is not the image of God, there would be no dominion over other creatures, or over the earth. We would not be capable of experiencing the joy and peace of learning the love of God
      Genesis 1:26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.
      Philippians 4:7 And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.
      Thought 3 (October 2, 2019)
      Is the psalmist pleading God to force God’s statutes to become the man’s ways? No, he is speaking of his own failure in keeping God’s statutes and his desire to keep them, very much like Paul in Romans 7:14-25.
      God doesn’t work through force to turn men from their ways that they would desire His statutes or desire God Himself. Men must reject (repent) put aside his own ways and voluntarily seek God and His statutes.

Can men wear rings?

Rate this topic


Recommended Posts

  • Members

I see no Biblical reason why a man cannot wear rings. I used to wear a turquoise ring that my grandfather made for me years ago. I've since had to put it away as my finger outgrew it. I also wore my wedding ring until 20 years ago when it got too tight on my finger. Plus, I worked on a conveyer belt, and it wasn't good to get my finger caught in the mechanism. Why do you ask such a question...just for reference sake?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
On 8/20/2021 at 10:17 AM, BrotherTony said:

I would also prefer it not be in one's ear...A couple of my nephews have them in their ears, and I'd like to reach up and pull the things right out of their ear lobes!

Well, you must know your nephews...:) At the small, local, conservative independent church that my wife and I attend probably a majority of the young men and boys that attend sometimes, have worn earrings; it simply is a widespread custom now, after all, and has been for years.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 There's nothing in SCRIPTURE against wearing rings; just about wearing bling to show off wealth, etc. While some congregations holler about ANY bling or makeup, I dismiss their stuff because it's all man-made, I I, as well as my church, are Sola Scriptura, not following nor believing any man-made rules or tenets of faith/worship.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
10 hours ago, E Morales said:

I want to look cool when I go to church, but I’m too fat. Rings placed anywhere won’t help me look good.

 

If that is your only motivation to wearing "rings" to church, then you've already defeated the purpose of going to church in the first place! The focus shouldn't be on you, it should be on Christ.

On 9/10/2021 at 8:54 PM, farouk said:

Well, you must know your nephews...:) At the small, local, conservative independent church that my wife and I attend probably a majority of the young men and boys that attend sometimes, have worn earrings; it simply is a widespread custom now, after all, and has been for years.

It may be a "custom," but custom doesn't make it right. It wasn't acceptable in mainstream Christianity for years, and it just another sign of how close Christians want to see about getting to the world. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
3 hours ago, BrotherTony said:

If that is your only motivation to wearing "rings" to church, then you've already defeated the purpose of going to church in the first place! The focus shouldn't be on you, it should be on Christ.

It may be a "custom," but custom doesn't make it right. It wasn't acceptable in mainstream Christianity for years, and it just another sign of how close Christians want to see about getting to the world. 

I was just kidding about looking cool... : ) the only ring that should be used, is the wedding ring. All others rings and piercing are for show and tell. Trying to be different, as putting many tattoos. Not to change the subject. This post is about rings, can someone loose their salvation for it. No Sir.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Independent Fundamental Baptist

The Bible does not forbid men from wearing jewelry - however, the Bible does show earrings on men in a bad light. In several passages where they are mentioned, they are connected with their idolatry AND when they repented or were rebuked for their sin, the men removed their earrings (referring specifically to Jacob’s sons in Genesis 35 and Israel’s sin with the golden calf in Exodus 32).

On another note, the Bible always forbids piercings/cuttings (other than earrings) and tattoos on God’s people (someone mentioned piercings - and the same passages that forbid them also forbid tattoos).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, BrotherTony said:

If that is your only motivation to wearing "rings" to church, then you've already defeated the purpose of going to church in the first place! The focus shouldn't be on you, it should be on Christ.

It may be a "custom," but custom doesn't make it right. It wasn't acceptable in mainstream Christianity for years, and it just another sign of how close Christians want to see about getting to the world. 

It's interesting that for centuries sailors would often wear earrings: the idea being that, doing sometimes hazardous work overseas, they might die and so the earring - often gold - was intended to pay for what was regarded as a Christian burial. In other words, the earring was actually an oblique identification with Christianity.

 

I'm not a legalist myself, or an independent baptist; I just respect customs, including independent baptist ones.

 

PS: I have a male cousin who has worn an earring for years and no one even comments; and he used to bring his son to Sunday School: I guess the question I would ask is, What is deemed more important; having families come and hear the Word of God, or enforcing independent baptist culture?

Edited by farouk
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Independent Fundamental Baptist

It is not specifically Baptist culture. I knew many Christians that were against earrings on men before I became a Baptist.

The Bible teaches us not to be like the world. Typically, I find it is the worldly “Christian” crowd that has the men wearing earrings, that is tattooing for Jesus, that has long hair on men and short hair on women, that is rocking out in the sanctuary. Better not to be conformed to the world.

Historically, as far as sailors go, they usually have a baaaad reputation for carousing and womanizing, among other things - so they certainly are not an example of Godly men to follow.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Independent Fundamental Baptist

I know the topic of rings got sidetracked by earrings, but wanted to make one other point. In the Bible, we also see a passage where earrings are specifically stated to be worn by those who are not God’s people.

Judges 8:24 And Gideon said unto them, I would desire a request of you, that ye would give me every man the earrings of his prey. (For they had golden earrings, because they were Ishmaelites.)

Does that prove earrings are a sin if worn by men? No, not directly - however, we should always learn the principles and examples set in the Bible. In this case, the principle is that it is associated with idolatry, worldliness, pagan cultures; therefore, if we want our lives to be Biblical and patterned after godliness, I believe it is something true, mature Christian men should avoid.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
5 hours ago, farouk said:

It's interesting that for centuries sailors would often wear earrings: the idea being that, doing sometimes hazardous work overseas, they might die and so the earring - often gold - was intended to pay for what was regarded as a Christian burial. In other words, the earring was actually an oblique identification with Christianity.

 

I'm not a legalist myself, or an independent baptist; I just respect customs, including independent baptist ones.

 

PS: I have a male cousin who has worn an earring for years and no one even comments; and he used to bring his son to Sunday School: I guess the question I would ask is, What is deemed more important; having families come and hear the Word of God, or enforcing independent baptist culture?

I don't "enforce" Baptist culture...that's not my job. I'm not so offended by someone having an earring that it would stop me from associating with them. I have many friends who have them...but that doesn't mean I like it...I don't have to. Everyone can give account for what they put in or on their bodies, just as I have to give an account...I don't answer for them, and they don't answer for me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Jerry said:

I know the topic of rings got sidetracked by earrings, but wanted to make one other point. In the Bible, we also see a passage where earrings are specifically stated to be worn by those who are not God’s people.

Judges 8:24 And Gideon said unto them, I would desire a request of you, that ye would give me every man the earrings of his prey. (For they had golden earrings, because they were Ishmaelites.)

Does that prove earrings are a sin if worn by men? No, not directly - however, we should always learn the principles and examples set in the Bible. In this case, the principle is that it is associated with idolatry, worldliness, pagan cultures; therefore, if we want our lives to be Biblical and patterned after godliness, I believe it is something true, mature Christian men should avoid.

It's interesting also that in Psalm 40 the bondservant imagery is used: "Mine ears hast Thou opened"; i.e., opened = Hebrew, digged, i.e, pierced. This thematically links in general terms with Philippians 2: the 'form of a Servant'.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My wife seems pleased I wear the wedding ring she gave me....:) Kind of: "He's off limits!" 🙂

At the small, independent church that we go to, some of the young men and boys have worn earrings; often they are rather unobtrusive, anyway.  I remember nearly 40 years ago being at various baptisms by immersion in different places connected with independent churches and it was the widespread custom among young men then to wear earrings and indeed I think some of the young men being baptized then did also.

As regards the custom of women wearing 2 each side, etc., well this has been going on for several decades; if a teen and her mom had doubles put in in the late 70s, for example, an 18 year old would be 60 now and if her mom was 48 then, she would be 90 now. It's thoroughly established and unremarkable now for women of all ages.

 

(Post partly in response to another post, now deleted.)

Edited by farouk
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/12/2021 at 6:23 AM, E Morales said:

 the only ring that should be used, is the wedding ring. All others rings and piercing are for show and tell.

@E MoralesWell, what about neckties? I would have thought that earrings are in a similar category as neckties. Policing earrings doesn't make sense in my humble view.

 

PS: Someone mentioned hair; having it quite long at the top and trimmed at the sides can be an option for professional women; very broadly this is the kind of cut that my wife has had for many years; her dyed colour has varied over the years.

 

15 Fantastic Mohawk Hairstyles - Pretty Designs

prettydesigns dot com

Edited by farouk
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Advanced Member
On 9/12/2021 at 12:03 PM, Jerry said:

The Bible does not forbid men from wearing jewelry - however, the Bible does show earrings on men in a bad light. In several passages where they are mentioned, they are connected with their idolatry AND when they repented or were rebuked for their sin, the men removed their earrings (referring specifically to Jacob’s sons in Genesis 35 and Israel’s sin with the golden calf in Exodus 32).

On another note, the Bible always forbids piercings/cuttings (other than earrings) and tattoos on God’s people (someone mentioned piercings - and the same passages that forbid them also forbid tattoos).

The are also mention  I believe, in slavery or bondage.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Advanced Member

I don't  wear a ring. My wife did not object when we were getting married and I said I didn't want to wear one. I don't wear any jewelry.  My wife now wears her grandma's wedding ring as her own became too tight for her to wear.  My wife's mother never had a wedding ring, and she was not a Christian.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...