Online Baptist Community
  • Newest Sermon Entry

• By 1Timothy115 in Devotionals
      Psalms 119:1-8                                         Sep. 5 - Oct. 2, 2019
      1 ALEPH. Blessed are the undefiled in the way, who walk in the law of the LORD.
      2 Blessed are they that keep his testimonies, and that seek him with the whole heart.
      3 They also do no iniquity: they walk in his ways.
      4 Thou hast commanded us to keep thy precepts diligently.
      5 O that my ways were directed to keep thy statutes!
      6 Then shall I not be ashamed, when I have respect unto all thy commandments.
      7 I will praise thee with uprightness of heart, when I shall have learned thy righteous judgments.
      8 I will keep thy statutes: O forsake me not utterly.
      The following verse stood out to me...
      5 O that my ways were directed to keep thy statutes!
      At first glance it seemed to me this person’s soul is poured out with intense desire to have God’s direction in keeping His Word.
      I made a small wood fire in our backyard for my granddaughter, Julia, since she would be staying overnight with us. My wife and Julia stayed outside at the fire for about half an hour. Then, I found myself alone to watch the fire die out on a particularly lovely evening. So I took my verse from above and began to repeat it for memorization. As I repeated the verse, I tried to contemplate the words and apply them to what I was seeing around me. 
      The moon and stars were out now peering through the scattered clouds above.
      [Genesis 1:16 And God made two great lights; the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night: he made the stars also. Genesis 1:17 And God set them in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth, Genesis 1:18 And to rule over the day and over the night, and to divide the light from the darkness: and God saw that it was good.]
      Thought 1         
      The moon has stayed his course since the day God created him, also the stars, obeying the statutes directed by God from the first day they were created. Can you imagine God’s direction to the Moon and stars, “moon you will have a path through the sky above the earth, stars you will occupy the firmament above the moon and be clearly visible in the cloudless night sky.”
      Then, the trees, grass, even the air we breathe obey the statues God gave them from the beginning. None of these creations have souls, none have hearts, none have intelligence, but they all observe God’s statutes, His instructions for their limited time on earth.
      Thought 2
      What if we were like the moon, stars, trees, grass, or the other creations which have no soul? We would be directed to keep God’s statutes without choosing to keep them. This is not the image of God, there would be no dominion over other creatures, or over the earth. We would not be capable of experiencing the joy and peace of learning the love of God
      Genesis 1:26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.
      Philippians 4:7 And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.
      Thought 3 (October 2, 2019)
      Is the psalmist pleading God to force God’s statutes to become the man’s ways? No, he is speaking of his own failure in keeping God’s statutes and his desire to keep them, very much like Paul in Romans 7:14-25.
      God doesn’t work through force to turn men from their ways that they would desire His statutes or desire God Himself. Men must reject (repent) put aside his own ways and voluntarily seek God and His statutes.

Something I've seen in a lot of Baptist Churches these days that is disturbing

Rate this topic

• Members

The meme I'm posting here is becoming something that is going on in many Baptist denominational churches. It's shameful and very disconcerting...but I guess that it's a sign of people's unwilligness to follow the Bible, wanting instead to be "all inclusive" in doctrine and practices. I hate what I've seen...but thanks be to God for those churches that are still standing for the truth! This meme was borrowed from FB

May be a cartoon of standing and text that says 'Pastors Doctrine Love & Acceptance 00 Lgbtq+ CRT Moralism @HonestYouthPastor @Honest Progressive Christians Biblical Churches'

• Independent Fundamental Baptist
18 minutes ago, BrotherTony said:

The meme I'm posting here is becoming something that is going on in many Baptist denominational churches. It's shameful and very disconcerting...but I guess that it's a sign of people's unwilligness to follow the Bible, wanting instead to be "all inclusive" in doctrine and practices. I hate what I've seen...but thanks be to God for those churches that are still standing for the truth! This meme was borrowed from FB

May be a cartoon of standing and text that says 'Pastors Doctrine Love & Acceptance 00 Lgbtq+ CRT Moralism @HonestYouthPastor @Honest Progressive Christians Biblical Churches'

Hey Brother Tony,

It appears that the top of the picture is cut off.  Being a pastor myself, I am curious what the "pastors" at the top of the "doctrinal castle" are portrayed as doing.

• Members

Brother Scott, this is all that was on the meme...At least that's all I got. I have seen this once before, and if I remember correctly, it's just the pastors looking over the edge at what's going on...not really doing anything. I know this isn't true of all pastors, but it's getting to be true of most. I'm thankful that most of the preachers/pastors I know are standing for something!

Posted (edited)

Concerning the burden of the thread discussion itself -

There is no doubt that Biblical love is a central theme of Biblical doctrine and godliness.  However, the problem arises when we follow an unbiblical, worldly idea of love, rather than a Biblical, godly idea of love.  Biblical, godly love does NOT accept the sinner WITH his sin.  Rather, Biblical, godly love seeks to reach the sinner in his sin and to draw that sinner unto the Savior who will DELIVER the sinner FROM his sin.  In relation to sin, Biblical, godly love is a delivering and transforming love; it is not an accepting and enabling love.

Edited by Pastor Scott Markle

• Moderators

This, of course, speaks to the importance of repentance in salvation. The lost must understand the reality of sin in their lives, and the need to be willing to reject sin, (not sins, as this is the act that come after salvation, the fruit meet for repentance), because it is sin that is taking them to Hell. And with a prepared heart at salvation, the Spirit and the word will bring about that change as part of being saved. 

I don't believe we can, or should, deal with the specifics of their sins, when leading them to Christ, but the reality and consequences of SIN, as the whole, and when this is done properly, when born again, they are better prepared to deal with their sins.

• Moderators

Well, that meme picture has about a million variations... :laugh:

I looked it up to try to answer Pr Scott's question above. I can't find that exact meme, but in similar ones, the person at the top is portrayed as just watching while the people below open the gates. 

• Administrators

I don't know where or how folks come up with this kind of thing. Then the next thing they say about whatever it is, is that "MOST" churches are doing whatever it is. This has not been my experience and to me speaks more to the need for sincere, grounded Christians to be in and loyal to, their own churches.

As I have said so many times before, there is no need for church members to be getting their spiritual food in any other place than your own church. If you do not agree or are not getting fed in your local church, you need to be somewhere else. Church hopping is only asking for trouble.

• 1 month later...
On 8/17/2021 at 1:39 PM, Salyan said:

Well, that meme picture has about a million variations... :laugh:

I looked it up to try to answer Pr Scott's question above. I can't find that exact meme, but in similar ones, the person at the top is portrayed as just watching while the people below open the gates. 

@Salyan Seems like cartoons can sometimes convey a serious point in a cheerful way...:

Pin on Christianspinterest

On 8/17/2021 at 2:50 PM, Jim_Alaska said:

I don't know where or how folks come up with this kind of thing. Then the next thing they say about whatever it is, is that "MOST" churches are doing whatever it is. This has not been my experience and to me speaks more to the need for sincere, grounded Christians to be in and loyal to, their own churches.

As I have said so many times before, there is no need for church members to be getting their spiritual food in any other place than your own church. If you do not agree or are not getting fed in your local church, you need to be somewhere else. Church hopping is only asking for trouble.

@Jim_AlaskaCertainly feeding the flock is an injunction in Acts 20 which applies particularly to local elders and teachers.

• Members

Leading the flock as an undershepherd should take on more importance in the lives of those who are called to such a service. I do believe that a person attending a church should be following their pastors teaching, as long as it is in line with Scripture. Those of us who have been lay-preachers, deacons or SS teachers in the church should be trying to help our pastors in any way that we can, serving the Lord with gladness. There are things within EVERY denomination that are bringing shame to Christ and the church, and followers of Christ should be on their guard against such things.

• 2 weeks later...

17 Thou shalt not hate thy brother in thine heart: thou shalt in any wise rebuke thy neighbour, and not suffer sin upon him. 18 Thou shalt not avenge, nor bear any grudge against the children of thy people, but thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself: I am the LORD. Leviticus 19:17-18

Loving my neighbour Biblically means I deal with sin in his life - I do not suffer or allow it to remain there.