• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Hot dates: 2 spacecraft to make Venus flyby

It is always interesting to read articles such as this. The math that must be used to utilize the gravity of a planate to change and continue a space flight toward a successful mission is way beyond my comprehension. 

Two spacecraft are set to swoop past Venus within hours of each other this week, using the maneuver to do a little bit of bonus science on the way to their main missions at the center of our solar system.

The European Space Agency's Solar Orbiter probe, a cooperation with NASA, will swing around Venus early Monday, using the planet's gravity to help put it on a course to observe the Sun's poles.

About 33 hours later, the European-Japanese spacecraft BepiColombo will get even closer to Venus in a maneuver designed to help it slow down sharply and safely steer into the orbit of Mercury in 2025.

"Without the flyby, we would not be able to reach our target planet," said Elsa Montagnon, the spacecraft operations manager for BepiColombo. "The energy required to enter into orbit of Mercury would be prohibitively expensive in terms of propellant."

https://phys.org/news/2021-08-hot-dates-spacecraft-venus-flyby.html

• Members
8 minutes ago, PastorMatt said:

We're taking a step backwards....didn't us earthlings have a robot land on Venus in the 70's? Now a flyby is making news? 

I thought it was Venus...Yes..Terrans did have several craft land on Venus through the will of the Russians....

https://coolcosmos.ipac.caltech.edu/ask/44-Has-a-spacecraft-ever-landed-on-Venus-#:~:text=Has a spacecraft ever landed on Venus%3F Yes%2C,surface of Venus melted and crushed the landers.

• Members
3 minutes ago, PastorMatt said:

So they've landed around 14 times and we're making news to fly around the planet? So we're 50 years behind the Russians. ? 

That's what it sounds like, Brother! Can't believe they beat us on this! 

• Administrators

According to that article it is not Venus itself that is the target, it is the act of using the  gravity of Venus to "slingshot" the spacecraft out toward the sun.

We also need to keep in mind that our space program has not been useless and a waste of money. Science as well as industry has benefitted greatly from things in our space program that never would have happened or been known of except for the space program.

• Members
39 minutes ago, Jim_Alaska said:

According to that article it is not Venus itself that is the target, it is the act of using the  gravity of Venus to "slingshot" the spacecraft out toward the sun.

We also need to keep in mind that our space program has not been useless and a waste of money. Science as well as industry has benefitted greatly from things in our space program that never would have happened or been known of except for the space program.

Give some examples other than a pen that can write upside down and less-than-gravity lettuce.

NASA is a colossal waste of time and money, IMO, because nobody is going to colonize anything. There's nothing out there.

I have my doubts we even landed on the moon because of the Van Allen belts, the nature of space (if it is a void there's no way to control a rocket or module), the fact NASA claims we lost the technology to return to the moon. Really? The piece of junk lunar module actually travelled 237,000 miles when the superior ISS has only made it 248 miles up? I even have my doubts the Mars rover is on Mars and not on Devon Island in the Canadian Artic where they actually tested the rover. There are some sketchy photos of "Mars" surface and atmosphere.

I don't believe anything these liars say anymore but if it is true I wouldn't be trespassing up there.

Psalm 115:16- The heaven, even the heavens, are the LORD's: but the earth hath he given to the children of men.