• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Demon posession

• Members

That depends on what group "we Baptists" is . 

Some are deceived into thinking there are no demons, or there is no demon influence or no demon possession.

Others resist the demons and the demons flee ,  no worry.

A few others cast demons out,  easily, 

although some people want to keep demons around,  and the demons get to stay then,   until someone stronger comes along to clean house and the one delivered gets filled with God's Spirit so the demons can't come back.

According to Ephesians and Revelation,   most people on earth serve demons daily and won't repent of it.

• Members

I don't believe a demon can posses a true believer, but certainly believe they are still active in the world.

Have you ever seen footage of the Vineyard Church "Toronto Blessing" footage? Its people rolling on the ground, twitching, and in some cases barking and acting like animals claiming it was the holy spirit. If those people aren't acting then I can only attribute those kind of acts in God's name as demon possession.

• Members

Potato, Potahto,  semantics or definitions change year to year,  group to group, and the demonic forces keep getting stronger and more widespread - until worldwide as KJV says.

19 minutes ago, Disciple.Luke said:

I don't believe a demon can posses a true believer, but certainly believe they are still active in the world.

Have you ever seen footage of the Vineyard Church "Toronto Blessing" footage?

About a hundred of more years ago,  Jesse Penn-Lewis exposed the false revival practices common already then - counterfeit.    A book she wrote available online "War On The Saints" explains vividly (not hollywood style, but without pulling any punches) and distinctly how and when demons have overcome people,  even (at least called) Christians in revival,

yes,  just like the debacle in Toronto, circa 1991? , the laughing rolling unintelligible disorderly ungodly nonsense that spread like wildfire worldwide and harmed thousands or millions of fellowships around the world that were not strong enough to withstand the evil attack/ deception or ? sorceries ? .  

The Bible in Revelation 18 says

Rev 18:23

And the light of a candle shall shine no more at all in thee; and the voice of the bridegroom and of the bride shall be heard no more at all in thee: for thy merchants were the great men of the earth; for by thy sorceries were all nations deceived.

Tools

Rev 18:24

And in her was found the blood of prophets, and of saints, and of all that were slain upon the earth.

The Authorized Version or King James Version (KJV), 1611, 1769.
Outside of the United Kingdom, the KJV is in the public domain. Within the United Kingdom, the rights to the KJV are vested in the Crown.

• Members
20 minutes ago, jeff_student_of_Jesus said:

Potato, Potahto,  semantics or definitions change year to year,  group to group, and the demonic forces keep getting stronger and more widespread - until worldwide as KJV says.

About a hundred of more years ago,  Jesse Penn-Lewis exposed the false revival practices common already then - counterfeit.    A book she wrote available online "War On The Saints" explains vividly (not hollywood style, but without pulling any punches) and distinctly how and when demons have overcome people,  even (at least called) Christians in revival,

yes,  just like the debacle in Toronto, circa 1991? , the laughing rolling unintelligible disorderly ungodly nonsense that spread like wildfire worldwide and harmed thousands or millions of fellowships around the world that were not strong enough to withstand the evil attack/ deception or ? sorceries ? .  

The Bible in Revelation 18 says

Rev 18:23

And the light of a candle shall shine no more at all in thee; and the voice of the bridegroom and of the bride shall be heard no more at all in thee: for thy merchants were the great men of the earth; for by thy sorceries were all nations deceived.

Tools

Rev 18:24

And in her was found the blood of prophets, and of saints, and of all that were slain upon the earth.

The Authorized Version or King James Version (KJV), 1611, 1769.
Outside of the United Kingdom, the KJV is in the public domain. Within the United Kingdom, the rights to the KJV are vested in the Crown.

Yes that is the same Toronto Blessing I was referring to. It hard to even watch such nonsense, and it's unimaginable to me how they believe that kind of stuff is biblical. Maybe they need to study the bible a little more so they can recognize the true Spirit.

• Members

35 minutes ago, Disciple.Luke said:

it's unimaginable to me how they believe that kind of stuff is biblical. Maybe they need to study the bible a little more so they can recognize the true Spirit.

Let The Creator's Word, Scripture, The KJV Bible,  provide the clarity to Jesus' disciples,  those who are born again, who repented and were immersed in Jesus' Name as written,

as the Father is Pleased to Do (as Jesus Says), 

that there are those who might be studying day and night,  the Bible,  and remain in darkness.

Some who had Scripture in the Original Languages,  Memorized,  far greater and far more than anyone known today here,   yet they remained sons of the devil and sought to kill Jesus the Messiah,  and later His disciples.

Discernment is mentioned how many times in God's Word ?   I can't remember where it was, I think it says as someone honors Torah (All God's Word),  discernment is granted (gifted) to them or grows, (as the Father gives).  If even the Apostles trusted in themselves,  Jesus said they would already have failed even to be saved.  Yet even a babe who trusts in the Father,  Jesus says the Father is pleased to reveal His Word to them. (as Jesus did after breaking the bread , with the two men who walked to Emmaus with Him and did not even recognize Him until it was revealed,  and Jesus had shown them through all the Old Testament - Torah, Tanakh, Psalms and Prophets - the Father's Revelation of Jesus thru and thru as all those Scriptures spoke of Jesus.  Who knew?   Only those to whom the Father and Jesus revealed it,  opened their minds to understand.

• Members

We too often think demon possession, or possessed of devil's as the bible says, means "Mad Man of Gadarenes" or Linda Blair of The Exorcist type behavior. The Pharisees, Judas Iscariot, Herod, Pilate and the "ministers of the Angel of Light" were all possessed also. I would venture too say many politicians are either possessed or have some kind of pact with Satan. Especially those at the very top.

• Members

I'd agree that demons cannot possess a believer. The Holy Spirit indwelling a believer would repel that demon. 

Demons do though affect believers and nonbelievers.  I am pretty sure they can possess an unbeliever. 

I don't see scripture that points to demons having no longer possession over a human , but that as I said.. a believer being immune to possession.

• Members
3 hours ago, Disciple.Luke said:

Yes that is the same Toronto Blessing I was referring to. It hard to even watch such nonsense, and it's unimaginable to me how they believe that kind of stuff is biblical. Maybe they need to study the bible a little more so they can recognize the true Spirit.

I remember in the early 90s,  wasnt part of any baptist church and was going to a charismatic Methodist youth group. We all went to a big event in town that was part of the Toronto blessing thing. 

It had all that laughing,  crying, repetitive rocking,  etc.. at 

At the time it seemed weird and then when I got more involved in the youth group it became accepted. 

When I did find the truth through some Godly men teaching me, I saw a pattern in the way services like these were run,  that has been repeated, copied and pasted over and over and over for 30 plus years among Pentecostals and charismatics

• Members

I believe demons are fallen angels who joined Satan in his rebellion, and, as such, are much-more-powerful than any of us. However, they must obey God no matter how much they resist doing so, as did the ones Jesus ordered out of a man & allowed them to enter a herd of pigs. And I believe they can still possess people, if people either invite them, or do nothing to resist them, especially not using God's "armor" & "sword".

I believe Hitler allowed himself to be possessed for awhile by an especially strong demon by his dabbling in the occult in his youth. This demon manifested itself after Hitler's  WW1 service, enabling him to suddenly become a demagogue & master manipulator, "messing up" only with the "Beer Hall Putsch" of 1923. From then on, he did about everything right, thru the conquest of France, but I believe God ordered the demon to end fully possessing him after that, as it wasn't yet time for the antichrist to come. But the demon still watched over him, & partially possessed him, preventing  his assassination a number of times.  More proof he was possessed-When something went wrong, such as the Nazis losing a battle, he was seen more-than-once, lying on the floor, kicking, screaming, foaming at the mouth, turning purple, pounding his fists on the floor, & gnawing the edges of the carpet, if one was present. Thus, behind his back, many of his generals called him"Teppichfresser"   literally "Carpet-Eater".

When I was an unsaved teen, some friends invited me to attend a "Holiness" church service with them. it started out as an ordinary church service, but the preacher got louder & spoke faster, til he became unintelligible, & more & more of the congregation began raising their hands, then yelling & screaming, then dancing, & many lay on the floor, cutting dust angels. Though unsaved, I felt a great sense of EVIL in that place, believing I'd walked into a funny farm instead of a church. I quickly got out, got into my car, & left, without telling anyone goodbye.

Next day, my friends asked me why I'd vanished, & I told them. They tried to tell me it was Holy Spirit possession that'd occurred, & I said I'd sooner avoid THAT!

I actually think that experience kept me from coming to Jesus sooner, as I associated many churches with that ghastly spectacle. So, the demons had done their job for awhile!

But yes, I believe it still occurs, but any Christian can be an "exorcist" by invoking Jesus' name; no special person nor ceremony needed.

Edited by robycop3

• Members

In one of the Bible colleges I attended, one of the professors gave several lectures on demons, and his viewpoint was that these were some of the worst of the worst of the fallen angels, just above those who are reserved in chains for judgement. I'm not sure I totally agree with him, but, I can't say I'm totally against that view either. The church I grew up in had several cases of demon possession present themselves, and they scared the bajeepers out of me! I have never questioned the existence of such creatures. I also know from experience that there is a battle for people's minds, and that demon oppression (Christians CAN experience this) and demon POSESSION (Christians CANNOT experience this because of the indwelling of the Holy Spirit) are very real and present today. I fully believe that is why we, as Christians should be putting on the whole armor of God daily, and filling our mind with Scripture to combat the evil in our world with the help and guidance of the Holy Spirit.

• Members
2 hours ago, Hugh_Flower said:

Demons aren’t even fallen angels. ? 

Do you have sources for that, Hugh? Or possibly Scripture to back that statement up? 

Edited by BrotherTony

• Members
2 minutes ago, Ukulelemike said:

The Bible refers specifically to the Devil and his angels. If not fallen, then where did they come from? Satan cannot create, so he didn't create them: they came from somewhere.

2 minutes ago, Ukulelemike said:

The Bible refers specifically to the Devil and his angels. If not fallen, then where did they come from? Satan cannot create, so he didn't create them: they came from somewhere.

2Pe 2:4  For if God spared not the angels that sinned, but cast them down to hell, and delivered them into chains of darkness, to be reserved unto judgment;

Jud 1:6  And the angels which kept not their first estate, but left their own habitation, he hath reserved in everlasting chains under darkness unto the judgment of the great day.

The fallen Angels are bound until Tribulation. 
Devils are the spirits of the nephelim that died in the flood, since they have no souls they wander the earth