• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

The Experience...A Denomination by Oprah Winfrey, Joel Osteen and Rick Warren?

• Members

In a conversation with a preacher this week, a group of men in our area was told of a new denomination that has been started by the former talk show host/actress/weight-loss guru, Oprah Winfrey. We were told it's called, "The Experience." There are several campus' throughout Middle Tennessee, and it is said that Oprah is backing preachers like Joel Osteen, in cooperation with people like Beth Moore, Rick Warren, and several other high profile preachers/motivational speakers. This is disconcerting to me, since the "doctrine" preached by Oprah is anything but sound, Biblically, and Joel Osteen's lack of a firm grasp on the preaching of the whole counsel of God, is infiltrating so many lives these days. Do any of you have any experience with this group of people, and if so, what can you tell us about it? There is only one way to God, and that is clear in the Scriptures...it is through Jesus Christ, and him alone. We need to be ready to combat this threat, and to be clothed in the full armor of God.

This is one of the documentations of what Oprah believes....

Edited by BrotherTony
addition of link

• Members

"This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come.

For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy,

Without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accusers, incontinent, fierce, despisers of those that are good,

Traitors, heady, highminded, lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God;

Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away.

For of this sort are they which creep into houses, and lead captive silly women laden with sins, led away with divers lusts,

Ever learning, and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth." - 2 Timothy 3:1-7

• Members

The world was made chaos ,  dark,  void,  in the past.   It was desperately evil and demon filled like today in the days of Noah.    Sodom and Gomorrah did not do so well,   yet they might rise in judgment of this generation.

"Jeremiah 4:22-23   King James Version

"For my people is foolish, they have not known me; they are sottish children, and they have none understanding: they are wise to do evil, but to do good they have no knowledge.

"I beheld the earth, and, lo, it was without form, and void; and the heavens, and they had no light.

"Read full chapter"

-------------------------------------------------------------

1 hour ago, swathdiver said:

despisers of those that are good,

Traitors, heady, highminded, lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God;

• Members

I spent a long time yesterday searching the internet looking for churches connected to Oprah. I did see 4-5 churches in Tennessee that are connected and use the name "Experience" in the church name, but I couldn't find anything linking them to Oprah. That doesn't mean her new age beliefs haven't influenced the leadership though. 

It appears that she attends the Potters House Church with T.D. Jakes as her Pastor...at least from what I could find.

• Members

Just a bunch of grifters that will have no problem finding a a slew of apostates who are looking to hook their wagons to rich celebrity ministries.

Whoever did the canvasing in Tennessee for these cons must have found it a fertile ground to hustle at. Lots of backslidden Christians fallen to the wayside ready for the buzzards to swoop in on. Add to that all the Christians who are perpetual babes in Christ because barely any churches teach sound doctrine anymore. And add to that all the "upstanding leaders of the community" who are looking for social connections to boost their bank accounts and status. It should be a field day.

• Members
31 minutes ago, SureWord said:

Lots of backslidden Christians fallen to the wayside ready for the buzzards to swoop in on. Add to that all the Christians who are perpetual babes in Christ because barely any churches teach sound doctrine anymore. 

I wouldn't say that they are backslidden, I would say that they are false converts and have no wisdom.  I'm backslidden and have been backslidden but no way is TD Jakes or Oprah or Jeremiah Wright going to seduce me into following them.

One could argue that the perpetual babes are backslidden because they refuse to obey and learn and if so, are their names really in the lamb's book of life with that kind of fruit?

In John 10:27 the Lord says, "My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:"

• Members
4 hours ago, swathdiver said:

I wouldn't say that they are backslidden, I would say that they are false converts and have no wisdom.  I'm backslidden and have been backslidden but no way is TD Jakes or Oprah or Jeremiah Wright going to seduce me into following them.

One could argue that the perpetual babes are backslidden because they refuse to obey and learn and if so, are their names really in the lamb's book of life with that kind of fruit?

In John 10:27 the Lord says, "My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:"

Carnal babes. America is loaded with them because they aren't taught sound doctrine after conversion. This has been a major problem within Sword of the Lord type Baptist churches who compete with each other driving up the number on conversions but couldn't care less about grounding believers in sound doctrine sometimes even mocking it. Hyles was notorious about this.   I know, personally, I was never taught much sound doctrine in church. I learned mostly on my own by listening to preachers/teachers "outside my local church". I was steered in the right direction by a preacher who headed a Christian camp for troubled teens but as far as learning doctrine in a local church it's been slim pickin's.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members
On 8/4/2021 at 3:21 PM, SureWord said:

Carnal babes. America is loaded with them because they aren't taught sound doctrine after conversion. This has been a major problem within Sword of the Lord type Baptist churches who compete with each other driving up the number on conversions but couldn't care less about grounding believers in sound doctrine sometimes even mocking it. Hyles was notorious about this.   I know, personally, I was never taught much sound doctrine in church. I learned mostly on my own by listening to preachers/teachers "outside my local church". I was steered in the right direction by a preacher who headed a Christian camp for troubled teens but as far as learning doctrine in a local church it's been slim pickin's.

I've been blessed beyond words that my local church teaches doctrine.  If only some of my family would listen, they do not have ears to hear with.

• Members
13 hours ago, swathdiver said:

I've been blessed beyond words that my local church teaches doctrine.  If only some of my family would listen, they do not have ears to hear with.

I've tried to document and verify some of the accusations against this particular church/group of churches, to make sure that Winfrey, Osteen and Warren were indeed involved...The preacher who gave the information told me that it is well documented, but has yet to give any of that documentation. I called a couple of the churches bearing the name and got an overall picture of what was going on, but not any confirmation of who were some of the backers. Yet, some of the people who attend say that the people mentioned above are indeed the backers of this group, if not wholely, in part. This would not surprise me. I know the doctrine taught in the church, after speaking with several people who attend, is deceptive at best, basically expounding the same garbage, false gospel that Osteen speaks. It's frightening to know that they have grown so quickly here in our area and others throughout the country. It just goes to further prove to me that the love of many indeed is waxing cold and that they are searching with itching ears for something that will appease their lifestyle choices and lack of love for God.