• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

• Members
On 7/27/2021 at 3:55 AM, Brother Stafford said:

When I discovered the truth about Santa, as a child, it was devastating to me; not just because Santa was not real, but because I realized that the adults in my life were not as trustworthy as I had previously believed.  When I began to question the Santa story, many people went to great lengths to convince me that my suspicions were unfounded and that I could really believe in Santa.  The night I discovered the truth, I felt humiliated and foolish and began to question the existence of God and, eventually, concluded that God must be a fable as well.

Tangent to your purpose perhaps,  or directly in line concerning trustworthiness in life ?  >

When people have trusted government and church all their life,  and find out gradually or suddenly all at once that they are lied to every day by their government and their church and family that they trusted since childhood,  (or not so long),  

will the book,  story,   plot,   help them to come to grips with this reality ?    

Will it help others to learn how to bring someone through the sifting of satan (if it can be called that), 

without losing hope,  without giving up on God ? 

• Members
1 hour ago, Brother Stafford said:

Give them a listen and tell me what you think.  I'm very interested in feedback and suggestions.  That's why I made this thread.

I listened to all of A House Needs a Builder  (8) and liked it.

Then listened a couple minutes to Rumple (3) ,  and didn't like that one enough to keep listening.

In the start of it,  when it got about the buying shoes,  I started not to like it,  and listened a little bit more to see if it got 'better'.    It didn't appeal to me - no motivation to listen.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

The concept seems interesting and the way you are doing it is pretty professional. Good job! As a kid I liked these sorts oft things and a nice uncle (like uncle charley on kids corner) helping out with life lessons for youngsters seem pretty neat. While you want to be accurate and moral for the listeners, a character with small failings is more approachable than one who seems perfect. 

• Members

I like these kinds of things. I used to listen to the stories on the radio like Lake Wobegon (Minnesota) and some of the old stories like detective series, etc. My wife and I had thought about trying something like this for our great nieces and nephews to give them some stories to LISTEN to instead of watch on the tele. We used to do something like this with our foster kids. Great idea...and you seem to have a knack for it! 

• Administrators
On 7/27/2021 at 4:55 AM, Brother Stafford said:

Hello all,

Over the last several months, I have been writing and recording stories as a character I came up with named, “Uncle Murray,” and I have been uploading these audio stories to YouTube in hopes of developing the idea into a successful Channel.  (To be clear, I don't really sound like Uncle Murray; it's just a voice that I came up with)

The stories started out as Uncle Murray recording audio letters to his nephew, “Abe,” (who had lost his glasses, preventing him from reading and writing).  Uncle Murray would try to convince Abe that all the fables and fairy tales that he had heard, about people like Tarzan and Rumpelstiltskin &c, were not true and that he would tell Abe the true stories behind them all.

I was enjoying it at first, but then it started to feel wrong.  I was spending a great deal of time coming up with nonsense alternatives to the original nonsense stories and was muddling the concept of truth in the process.  I kept thinking that I was being an hypocrite because of my strong feelings about the Santa Claus myth.

When I discovered the truth about Santa, as a child, it was devastating to me; not just because Santa was not real, but because I realized that the adults in my life were not as trustworthy as I had previously believed.  When I began to question the Santa story, many people went to great lengths to convince me that my suspicions were unfounded and that I could really believe in Santa.  The night I discovered the truth, I felt humiliated and foolish and began to question the existence of God and, eventually, concluded that God must be a fable as well.

So I decided to make Uncle Murray come clean with Abe and admit that he’d been lying to him and why what he had been doing was wrong; telling Abe that his stories were true.  Then Murray decides to abandon those kinds of stories and he tells Abe that he could have been telling him about all of the wonderful stories in the Bible and that those stories really are all true.

As of this posting, I have recorded eight Uncle Murray stories.  The first six are the retellings of the classic fables and the following two are Uncle Murray beginning to tell Abe about the Bible.  At first, I was going to remove the first six stories, but then, I thought that, perhaps, it would be better to leave them up and show Uncle Murray admitting his mistakes and then changing his focus from wasting his time, trying to impress his nephew with foolish stories and lies, to trying to teach him about the truth of the Bible and the glory of God.

I’m hoping that, perhaps, I can use Uncle Murray as an interesting way to share the Gospel and biblical truths with young people as well as older people.

The reason that I have posted this here is because I am looking for feedback and input on the whole idea because I'm still not sure about it.  I want to make sure that what Uncle Murray is teaching Abe is faithful to scripture and is also not irreverent.  I’ve included links to the stories down below this post and would very much appreciate any feedback or suggestions you may have.

#1 Da True Story of Tarzan of De Apes

#2 Da True Story of Rumpelstiltskin

#3 Rumpelstiltskin Explained in Four Minutes

#4 Da True Story of Cinderella

#5 Da True Zombie Origins of Baseball

#6 The Little Mermaid of New York

#7 Uncle Murray's Confession

#8 A House Needs a Builder

I'll listen to these when I travel and I'll get back to with feedback. I just listened to a few seconds and the NY accent had me feeling at home. ? 

• Members
12 minutes ago, PastorMatt said:

I'll listen to these when I travel and I'll get back to with feedback. I just listened to a few seconds and the NY accent had me feeling at home. ? 

I have a BIL from New York, and a friend as well. I have always loved that accent...and I also love the accent I hear when I call Boston!