• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

What Books Are You Reading?

• Members

I have a slew of books, two of which are going to be required reading for me. One of those two is "Renovation of the Heart: Putting on the Character of Christ" by Dallas Willard, and the second is "Unfinished Business:  Returning the Ministry to the People of God" by Greg Ogden. I'm looking forward to reading them when they get here.  I also will be reading the "Kingdom Men" series from Dr. Tony Evans. He has been one of my favorite speakers over the years. His preaching kept me interested in things of the Lord when I left the ministry many years ago, and was partially responsible for my returning to church in 1999. 

So, what books are you reading, or would you recommend as something to read? 

You did not restrict the replies to Christian books, so I will answer.

Currently I am reading:

1. The Lab Girl by Hope Jahren. From the back cover: Geobiologist Hope Jahren has spent her life studying trees, flowers, seeds, and soil. Lab Girl is her revelatory treatise on plant life—but it is also a celebration of the lifelong curiosity, humility, and passion that drive every scientist. In these pages, Hope takes us back to her Minnesota childhood, where she spent hours in unfettered play in her father’s college laboratory. She tells us how she found a sanctuary in science, learning to perform lab work “with both the heart and the hands.” She introduces us to Bill, her brilliant, eccentric lab manager. And she extends the mantle of scientist to each one of her readers, inviting us to join her in observing and protecting our environment. Warm, luminous, compulsively readable, Lab Girl vividly demonstrates the mountains that we can move when love and work come together. 
  2. The Secret Battle. A.P. Herbert. First published in 1919 the book, a novel, draws on his experiences as an infantry officer in World War I in Gallipoli. The book has been praised for its accuracy in describing the mental effects of the war on those who fought. 

• Members
1 hour ago, Bouncing Bill said:

You did not restrict the replies to Christian books, so I will answer.

Currently I am reading:

1. The Lab Girl by Hope Jahren. From the back cover: Geobiologist Hope Jahren has spent her life studying trees, flowers, seeds, and soil. Lab Girl is her revelatory treatise on plant life—but it is also a celebration of the lifelong curiosity, humility, and passion that drive every scientist. In these pages, Hope takes us back to her Minnesota childhood, where she spent hours in unfettered play in her father’s college laboratory. She tells us how she found a sanctuary in science, learning to perform lab work “with both the heart and the hands.” She introduces us to Bill, her brilliant, eccentric lab manager. And she extends the mantle of scientist to each one of her readers, inviting us to join her in observing and protecting our environment. Warm, luminous, compulsively readable, Lab Girl vividly demonstrates the mountains that we can move when love and work come together. 
  2. The Secret Battle. A.P. Herbert. First published in 1919 the book, a novel, draws on his experiences as an infantry officer in World War I in Gallipoli. The book has been praised for its accuracy in describing the mental effects of the war on those who fought. 

Sounds interesting.

17 minutes ago, BrotherTony said:

Sounds interesting.

I am finding both interesting. Hope Jahren pulls no punches. She gives vivid descriptions. She talks about how impossible the odds are of any plant making it to maturity. Early on she worked in a hospital. Her description of patients and nurses leave nothing to the imagination. I expect there are some who would find her descriptions disturbing. Her descriptions of plants are very detailed. 

The book about World War I is also very clear in the descriptions of the life of the soldier. It was a miserable life with the psychological results being very bad. I do not see how anyone can go through a war and still be even semi-sane.  

• Members
11 hours ago, BrotherTony said:

I have a slew of books, two of which are going to be required reading for me. One of those two is "Renovation of the Heart: Putting on the Character of Christ" by Dallas Willard, and the second is "Unfinished Business:  Returning the Ministry to the People of God" by Greg Ogden. I'm looking forward to reading them when they get here.  I also will be reading the "Kingdom Men" series from Dr. Tony Evans. He has been one of my favorite speakers over the years. His preaching kept me interested in things of the Lord when I left the ministry many years ago, and was partially responsible for my returning to church in 1999. 

So, what books are you reading, or would you recommend as something to read? 

I've been pecking away at:

The Flood In the Light of the Bible, Geology & Archaeology 

by Alfred M. Rehwinkel

• Members
8 hours ago, deaconpete said:

I am also reading "Unfinished Business:  Returning the Ministry to the People of God" by Greg Ogden. Highly recommended!

I'm still waiting for my copy to show up from the bookstore. They've ordered both of these books for me, and I had to order one of them from Amazon because the bookstore said they couldn't get it but would try again. I didn't count on them getting it. So, I've paid for one of those books 2x. That's okay, though. I can sell it to one of the other class members. Thanks for your input on this book. I greatly look forward to reading more than the excerpts I've already read. 

On 7/23/2021 at 10:14 PM, SureWord said:

I've been pecking away at:

The Flood In the Light of the Bible, Geology & Archaeology 

by Alfred M. Rehwinkel

Now, THAT sounds like an interesting book! I might try to find a copy. I love geology and archeology! 

1 hour ago, BrotherTony said:

I'm still waiting for my copy to show up from the bookstore. They've ordered both of these books for me, and I had to order one of them from Amazon because the bookstore said they couldn't get it but would try again. I didn't count on them getting it. So, I've paid for one of those books 2x. That's okay, though. I can sell it to one of the other class members. Thanks for your input on this book. I greatly look forward to reading more than the excerpts I've already read. 

Now, THAT sounds like an interesting book! I might try to find a copy. I love geology and archeology! 

I read reviews on this book on "Good Reads." It sounds like a good book, similar to the writings of Caryle Marney, Elton Trueblood and others back in the 1960's and what became the "Lay Renewal" movement. My wife and I were quite involved and worked with Reid Hardin, Dave Haney, and others. I would suggest those interested in 'lay renewal' to look into Truebloods "Yokefellows." If you can lay your hands on Trueblood's "The Incendiary Fellowship" or "The Company of the Committed" you should read them. The same is true with Carlyle Marney's "Priests To Each Other," and "The Coming Faith." Lyman Coleman's booklets to use in small groups are very good.

The laity are the hope for Christianity in America.   

• Members
6 hours ago, Bouncing Bill said:

I read reviews on this book on "Good Reads." It sounds like a good book, similar to the writings of Caryle Marney, Elton Trueblood and others back in the 1960's and what became the "Lay Renewal" movement. My wife and I were quite involved and worked with Reid Hardin, Dave Haney, and others. I would suggest those interested in 'lay renewal' to look into Truebloods "Yokefellows." If you can lay your hands on Trueblood's "The Incendiary Fellowship" or "The Company of the Committed" you should read them. The same is true with Carlyle Marney's "Priests To Each Other," and "The Coming Faith." Lyman Coleman's booklets to use in small groups are very good.

The laity are the hope for Christianity in America.   

Thank you for your suggestions. I will definitely try to find these books and read them. I always like to expand my library when I can. I appreciate that input. ?

18 minutes ago, BrotherTony said:

Thank you for your suggestions. I will definitely try to find these books and read them. I always like to expand my library when I can. I appreciate that input. ?

You probably will have to search for them on Amazon. I am sure they are all out of print. You should be able to find used ones at a moderate price. 

52 minutes ago, BrotherTony said:

This made me start thinking of other books that influenced me. For instance,

Keith Miller's "Taste of New Wine."

"The 7 Last Words of the Church. 'We've Never Done It That Way Before.' Can't remember the author.

"Include Me Out" ... can't remember the authro.

"Cost of Discipleship" by Dietrich Bonhoeffer.

"Letters and Papers From Prison," by Bonhoeffer. 

"Renew My Church," by David Haney.

"A Shepherd Looks at the 23rd Psalm", can't remember the author.

"The Christian's Secret to a Happy Life," by Hannah Whitall Smith. 

"The Practice of the Presence of God," by Brother Lawrence. You can download this book free from https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/5657  Brother Lawrence lived in the 17th century

I know there are others and if I think of them I'll pass them on to you. Wow, it has been up to 50 years since I read some of those books/.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Dallas Willard is a heretic and Tony Evans is an Emerging Church leader. Both should be avoided or read with extreme discernment, comparing all that is said with the Word of God.

Galatians 5:9 A little leaven leaveneth the whole lump.

Proverbs 19:27 Cease, my son, to hear the instruction that causeth to err from the words of knowledge.

Bonhoeffner believed in and taught a works-based salvation (especially in The Cost Of Discipleship - ie. continuing to the end to BE saved).

A Shepherd Looks at the 23rd Psalm was written by Phillip Keller who denied the supernatural aspects of the Bible - therefore was unsaved! He denied the miracles, the virgin birth, etc.

Ugh, maybe I shouldn’t visit this thread. I can’t stand by while people are led astray, even unknowingly.

GENIUSES AT WAR: Bletchley Park Colossus and the Dawn of the Digital Age

By David A. Price

The dramatic, untold story of the brilliant team whose feats of innovation and engineering created the world’s first digital electronic computer—decrypting the Nazis’ toughest code, helping bring an end to WWII, and ushering in the information age.

I have never read a book that describes in such detail the technical and mathematical work of code breaking done at Bletchley Park in England during World War II.