• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Coma and Salvation

• Members

I have somewhat of an odd question and hope that it doesn't sound too silly. I was wondering what would happen to a saved person who slips into a coma and forgets that they were once saved? would this person still retain their memory of their salvation or forget about it when they awaken? or would God not allow a saved person to slip into a coma?

Love,
Madeline

• Members

That sounds like a reasonable guess. The important thing is, if one was saved prior to a coma, they are still saved whether they awaken or not.

On a similar note, I think it's important to witness to those who are lost and in a coma. It's yet possible the Holy Ghost could reach them and they could respond even if they appear unresponsive outwardly.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Not a silly question. I've actually wondered that myself. I personally know an evangelist who lost his memory of everything (salvation, wife, how to speak, how to walk, who he was, his history, etc.) due to meningitis. He is saved, of course, but when he re-learned everything, I wondered if it was necessary for him to be "born again, again", or if his salvation, although he didn't remember it, was good still. You may have heard of John Bishop. He's now a great evangelist.

• Members

God saves so, yes they are still saved by grace.

What if they didn't live a godly life after the comma? Is this any different than a backslider having salvation and not living for Christ? How many of us, have backslid, I have to raise my hand; however, I was still saved by grace. I believe they may be in danger of being taken out by some other preemptive act of God.

I think that is the context of the scriptures below (not for comma but maybe applicable).

1Cor.5
[1] It is reported commonly that there is fornication among you, and such fornication as is not so much as named among the Gentiles, that one should have his father's wife.
[2] And ye are puffed up, and have not rather mourned, that he that hath done this deed might be taken away from among you.
[3] For I verily, as absent in body, but present in spirit, have judged already, as though I were present, concerning him that hath so done this deed,
[4] In the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, when ye are gathered together, and my spirit, with the power of our Lord Jesus Christ,
[5] To deliver such an one unto Satan for the destruction of the flesh, that the spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord Jesus.
[6] Your glorying is not good. Know ye not that a little leaven leaveneth the whole lump?

• 1 month later...
  • Administrators

I have somewhat of an odd question and hope that it doesn't sound too silly. I was wondering what would happen to a saved person who slips into a coma and forgets that they were once saved? would this person still retain their memory of their salvation or forget about it when they awaken? or would God not allow a saved person to slip into a coma?
Love,
Madeline

Hard to say. The Holy Spirit will still dwell in them so I would think they may have some kind of sense that they are saved.

• Members

Interestingly, I have never met anyone who was a true Christian that has slipped into a coma, had schizophrenia, or any sort of mental disorder. I knew of one evangelist who slipped into a coma, and before he died spake these last words..."did I serve the Lord to the best of my ability?" Regardless, the soul is freed when the body is dead and God WILL bring into account all of our deeds done in the body because He is Almighty God.

Love,
Madeline