• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Why Is It That Some Baptists Use Books From Other Denominations To Teach Soulwinning & Other Things?

• Members

Growing up I heard many pastors lambasting other denominations. One example is the Presbyterian Church. The pastor I had used to say that they had faulty doctrine, but yet in our Soulwinning and Outreach program, they used Dr. D. James Kennedy's book on soulwinning...Evangelism Explosion! I always found this a double standard, and now I have several people asking me why the Baptist churches use books from the CoC, AoG, Methodists, and the Nazarenes. I know that every denomination has some doctrine that can be disputed, but I also realize that every denomination has some pretty good material on certain subjects dealing with the Christian walk. Do you use materials from other denominations?  If so, would you please give an example of such? It would be greatly appreciated. 

BT

• Members
9 hours ago, BrotherTony said:

Growing up I heard many pastors lambasting other denominations. One example is the Presbyterian Church. The pastor I had used to say that they had faulty doctrine, but yet in our Soulwinning and Outreach program, they used Dr. D. James Kennedy's book on soulwinning...Evangelism Explosion! I always found this a double standard, and now I have several people asking me why the Baptist churches use books from the CoC, AoG, Methodists, and the Nazarenes. I know that every denomination has some doctrine that can be disputed, but I also realize that every denomination has some pretty good material on certain subjects dealing with the Christian walk. Do you use materials from other denominations?  If so, would you please give an example of such? It would be greatly appreciated. 

BT

I like Dr. Kennedy.  I like a lot of preachers who weren't or aren't Baptist. I have no problem recommending books written by non-Baptists. I just bought an excellent book on the The Flood written by a Lutheran.

My guess is many Baptist preachers feel the need to promote the Baptist denomination as the only bearer of truth especially Landmark Baptists. Or maybe they feel that they are not being separated if the recommend material from other denominations. I'm not sure.