• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Why do believers have to go to church?

• Members

Some believers and unbelievers are not interesting going to church because:
1. the preachers' sermons are boring that not apply to their lives.
2. they may know pastors are interesting in your wallets than souls.
3. they are more interesting in entertainments than go to independent baptist churches that they have to sit and listen the sermons.
4. They would says it is waste of time to go to church for just sit and listen.
5. They would say work is more important than go to church.

Also there are some independent baptist churches do not accept or want any handicap come to their church such as blind or deaf or so forth. They send them to other churches that they provide ministries for any kind of handicapped. I think that is rude. Don't you agree?

My question is why do believers have to go to church?
[i know that you would use Hebrews 10:23-25. I just would like to gather information from you so that I can make a sermon in you tube to deaf believers and unbelievers.]

Evan57

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Guest

Check out the website for my IFB church....http://www.CRBC-online.org. The sermon last night, 6-15-08, is my pastor preaching his series on..."Intimacy with God". His sermon should be on the internet in a couple of days...if it isn't there already. It was a great message that covers all of this. :thumb

candlelight

P.S. ~ The Internet doesn't do any IFB church justice, IMO. It is there...for those who can't make it into God's house...w/o the fellowship of believers gathered together in the presence of the Holy Spirit...reaping the rewards from God. :smile

• Administrators

1. We need the preaching...the Holy Spirit has prepared the pastor with the spiritual food that we need (that doesn't discount our studying on our own - this is extra, like dessert. :Green )
2. We need the fellowship with likeminded believers. Our churches are our spiritual families (or should be) and the fellowship should be sweet.

Guest Guest

As far as the handicapped? My church is handicapped accessible. We have wheel chairs for the elderly as well...or anyone that needs one. :smile

candlelight

P.S. ~ Everyone should want to come and fellowship. The IFB church should be there for the wealthy, middle class, and the poor. No matter who you are! We are here on earth to serve Our Almighty God and Saviour...and oneanother.

MAKE ME A SERVANT

Make me a servant...humble and meek.
Lord, let me lift up those who are weak.
And, let the prayer of my heart always be...
Make me a servant.
Make me a servant.
Make me a servant.
TODAY!

A little song to help...I am unsure of the author. :smile

• Administrators

Yeah - our church is handicap accessible also - we have a lot of wheelchair bound members, and some who can walk but not well. We have a Shepherd's ministry (retarded). We do not have a deaf ministry at this time, but I know that we will eventually.

I like that song, candlelight!

There's another one that's called "The Ground is Level at the Foot of the Cross." And churches should remember that!

Guest Guest
Candlelight,

I am hearing impaired and unable to understand the preacher preaches thru audio. Oh well. Thanks, anyway.
Though your church has many ministries that is good. Praise the Lord. :praise:

Evan57

Evan...I am so sorry it didn't help. My assistant pastor's wife uses sign language during service when we have the hearing impaired in church. This gives me :ideas: I will mention this to my pastor, about your situation. Thank you for the compliment about my IFB church. May Jesus shine on you today. :bible:

candlellight

P.S. ~ We have an area where sermons are written out...and Daily Manna from God's word...to my pastor's fingertips. You can check out that section if you want. I will find my notes, and scriptures from last night's sermon. I will get back to you, though, b/c...I am going to do errands now. :wave:

Guest Guest
Yeah - our church is handicap accessible also - we have a lot of wheelchair bound members, and some who can walk but not well. We have a Shepherd's ministry (retarded). We do not have a deaf ministry at this time, but I know that we will eventually.

I like that song, candlelight!

There's another one that's called "The Ground is Level at the Foot of the Cross." And churches should remember that!

Thank you H.C....about the song, and ITA about the above song. :amen:

• Members

Evan...I am so sorry it didn't help. My assistant pastor's wife uses sign language during service when we have the hearing impaired in church. This gives me :ideas: I will mention this to my pastor, about your situation. Thank you for the compliment about my IFB church. May Jesus shine on you today. :bible:

candlellight

P.S. ~ We have an area where sermons are written out...and Daily Manna from God's word...to my pastor's fingertips. You can check out that section if you want. I will find my notes, and scriptures from last night's sermon. I will get back to you, though, b/c...I am going to do errands now. :wave:

Thanks. I am looking forward to read the sermon of your pastor from last night.

Evan57 :wave:

• Members

Rom 10:14 How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?
Rom 10:15 And how shall they preach, except they be sent? as it is written, How beautiful are the feet of them that preach the gospel of peace, and bring glad tidings of good things!
Rom 10:16 But they have not all obeyed the gospel. For Esaias saith, Lord, who hath believed our report?
Rom 10:17 So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.
Rom 10:18 But I say, Have they not heard? Yes verily, their sound went into all the earth, and their words unto the ends of the world.

With all due respect to Ezra, hearing impiared or not, you can access preaching in the format correct for you, and that's a blessing.

But the context of this passage is sitting under the preaching of God's word, not a reading program (though that is good too!).

We have a big sign hanging in our sancturary that says TRES PARA CRECER. (Three to Grow).

Believers must go to church because God has disigned us for fellowship with one another. Christianity is not only believing something, but Christianity is also belonging to something.

Since the beginning the Lord has desired that we have felowship with others. In fact He looked at Adam and in a perfect environment of the garden, He said,
Gen 2:18 And the LORD God said, It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him an help meet for him.

God never intended us to go it alone. A Christian without a church home where he serves and is served is no better than an orphan.

Being in a congragational setup helps us to develop the attributes if Christ. Loving one another, helping one another, exhorting one another, serving one another, encouraging one another.

In fact the New Testament uses the phrase in some form or fashion "one another" over 50 times. There is no way you can be right with God and not want to be with your brethren on a regular basis.

None of these things can be done at home from the armchair. In fact, those that lay out of church or abandon church gatherings are demonstrating inmaturity. What they have is a White board Christianity. Unless my Christianity is put to the test, how can it be improved upon, tested for it's strengths and weaknesses?

Many of us know John 3:16 but how many have memorized 1 John 3:16?

God bless,

Calvary

• Members

I work on a handicap bus for our church and we bring in two people in wheelchairs. We also have wheelchairs at the church for whoever may need them, or the occasional teen wheelchair race... :lol: We have no deaf ministry as of yet, probably because we have no deaf people. (Though many members have selective hearing, lol)

Christians need to go to church because we need fellowship. A Christian needs friends to help him/her and exhort him/her. And young Christians need a pastor/preacher to guide them and teach them. And if a Christian loves God, he/she should desire to hear as much of his word as possible. Church can also hold you accountable and keep you from backsliding.

Guest Guest
Some believers and unbelievers are not interesting going to church because:
1. the preachers' sermons are boring that not apply to their lives.
2. they may know pastors are interesting in your wallets than souls.
3. they are more interesting in entertainments than go to independent baptist churches that they have to sit and listen the sermons.
4. They would says it is waste of time to go to church for just sit and listen.
5. They would say work is more important than go to church.

Except for maybe number two(and it could also well be) all these "issues" quoted here are heart problems in the person not wanting to attend. If someone doesn't want to go, no one should make them, it is a privilege not a curse after all. If they don't go it will hurt them and if they are saved the Lord will chasten them, but if someone wants to depart let them depart.

As it is written:

"Mark 2:17 When Jesus heard it, he saith unto them, They that are whole have no need of the physician, but they that are sick: I came not to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance."

Of course there is none righteous, so Jesus is speaking of those that know they have a need. In like manner If someone believes they are fine without attending church, they may leave and find out if they wish, prayer for them is the only recourse. Sometimes people need the time out of church to make them grateful to God for it. If they never return to church, scripture says:

"1 John 2:19 They went out from us, but they were not of us; for if they had been of us, they would no doubt have continued with us: but they went out, that they might be made manifest that they were not all of us."

Considering that this is obviously addressed to a church and speaking of those that chose to leave church, that alone should be enough to show where a Christian should be.

The bottom line though is the church is best reserved for those who wish to be there.

As it is written:

"Psalm 122:1 A Song of degrees of David. I was glad when they said unto me, Let us go into the house of the LORD."

• Members
Also there are some independent baptist churches do not accept or want any handicap come to their church such as blind or deaf or so forth. They send them to other churches that they provide ministries for any kind of handicapped. I think that is rude. Don't you agree?

Sending them away would be rude - but not all churches are equipped to have ministries to the deaf or are wheelchair accessible. It is great when a church can offer that kind of ministry or even have a separate service in another language to reach more people - but it is not always possible.

There is no one in my church capable of teaching Sunday school or interpreting for the deaf. Our church's sanctuary is on the second floor, reached by stairs. And the children's Sunday school classrooms, fellowship hall and bathrooms are downstairs, reached also by stairs. We wouldn't turn people away, but on a practical basis, we are not equipped to be taking wheelchaired visitors up and down stairs (or even into the bathroom, as the bathroom has a raised entrance).

Guest Guest

Good morning, Evan. I will do the best I can with my notes I took from my pastor's sermon on 6-15-08...6:00 P.M. service. I hope they help you. :smile

"Practicing the Presence of God in 2008"Title: The Importance of God's Family
Scripture: Acts 2:42-47
Hebrews 10:24-25
(We stood for the reading of God's word here...those who can stand).
My pastor asked what our personal involvement in the church was.

I) When we corporately worship we meet Christ in a special way.
Revelation 1:9-20
Matthew 18:20
In the book of Revelation John writes: the "lampstands represent the churches".

II) The church gives us the opportunity to show our love to God.
Our love to God demonstates where God is in our lives. Are we doing what a church should? Are we serving, supportive, honest...are broken people accepted?

A. Our commitment to weekly worship speaks volumes to a watching world and to a watching God.
B. We serve eachother.
Matthew 25:31-46
Our service to others are acts of kindness to oneanother.
C. We demonstrate our love through service.
Malachi 4:8-10
We are robbing God if we don't give with our tithes and offerings. I will insert here...that EVERYTHING we have belongs to God...and we have it because God has given it to us.
***God is honored when we honor Him with our finances***

III) We find strength for difficult times.
We NEED eachother!!!

IV) We find completeness.
We are incomplete when we are in isolation. He referred to this as the "Body Life."

V) The church is a classroom for Christian living.
I John 3:16-18
The church is a place where we can practice what we believe.
To win we need eachother.
The church is complete, has purpose, and is whole. I will add: Everyone is important...we are all members of one body, and w/o a member...we are incomplete. Everyone should have a job, and a purpose in the local church.
My pastor added that...It is an encouragement when he sees us in church.

*What is your personal involvement in the church?
*Are we doing what a church should?

He read a testimony from a deaf man. Someone asked the man why he went to church if he couldn't hear? The man replied, "I want my neighbors to know which side I am on".

Do we make an effort to welcome visitors? Do we welcome newcomers?
The church gives us an opportunity to give.

We, as believers should make an effort to invite new people to church...put ourselves in a place where we can meet them. My pastor challenged us to invite a new person to church this week. :smile

Quote: "The church is to the Christian...as the battlefield is to the soldier". I am sorry that I didn't catch the author's name.

My pastor also read a joke at the beginning of the service. He also used quotes from man and women to illustate his points.

Evan...I hope and pray that this is a help tp you. I tried my best with my notes. :wink

candlelight

P.S. ~ May God get the glory, as he spoke through my pastor on this topic. :amen:

• Members
Good morning, Evan. I will do the best I can with my notes I took from my pastor's sermon on 6-15-08...6:00 P.M. service. I hope they help you. :smile

"Practicing the Presence of God in 2008"Title: The Importance of God's Family
Scripture: Acts 2:42-47
(We stood for the reading of God's word here...those who can stand).
My pastor asked what our personal involvement in the church was.

I) When we corporately worship we meet Christ in a special way.
Revelation 1:9-20
Matthew 18:20
In the book of Revelation John writes: the "lampstands represent the churches".

II) The church gives us the opportunity to show our love to God.
Our love to God demonstates where God is in our lives. Are we doing what a church should? Are we serving, supportive, honest...are broken people accepted?

A. Our commitment to weekly worship speaks volumes to a watching world and to a watching God.
B. We serve eachother.
Matthew 25:31-46
Our service to others are acts of kindness to oneanother.
C. We demonstrate our love through service.
Malachi 4:8-10
We are robbing God if we don't give with our tithes and offerings. I will insert here...that EVERYTHING we have belongs to God...and we have it because God has given it to us.
***God is honored when we honor Him with our finances***

III) We find strength for difficult times.
We NEED eachother!!!

IV) We find completeness.
We are incomplete when we are in isolation. He referred to this as the "Body Life."

V) The church is a classroom for Christian living.
I John 3:16-18
The church is a place where we can practice what we believe.
To win we need eachother.
The church is complete, has purpose, and is whole. I will add: Everyone is important...we are all members of one body, and w/o a member...we are incomplete. Everyone should have a job, and a purpose in the local church.
My pastor added that...It is an encouragement when he sees us in church.

*What is your personal involvement in the church?
*Are we doing what a church should?

He read a testimony from a deaf man. Someone asked the man why he went to church if he couldn't hear? The man replied, "I want my neighbors to know which side I am on".

Do we make an effort to welcome visitors? Do we welcome newcomers?
The church gives us an opportunity to give.

We, as believers should make an effort to invite new people to church...put ourselves in a place where we can meet them. My pastor challenged us to invite a new person to church this week. :smile

Quote: "The church is to the Christian...as the battlefield is to the soldier". I am sorry that I didn't catch the author's name.

My pastor also read a joke at the beginning of the service. He also used quotes from man and women to illustate his points.

Evan...I hope and pray that this is a help tp you. I tried my best with my notes. :wink

candlelight

P.S. ~ May God get the glory, as he spoke through my pastor on this topic. :amen:

Thanks,
That give me points about what the scriptures say about to edify the church by encourage, support, help others and pray for others.

If any of you have more to say or type about why believers should go to church, go ahead. It is fun to learn from other believers about this issue.

For example: I met a believer said that "go to church is waste of time." I know what he/she meant is he/she knows the scriptures and the preacher preached/taught same old things or preached too long make him/her felt boring. There was nothing news to learn. It make him/her feel is not worth to go to church. This believer would rather things to do than just sit and listen. How am I be able to convince this believer to come to church that is different than the old church we went to before?

Evan57