• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Are Rock and Country/Western music wrong?

• Members

Are Rock and Country/Western music wrong?

Such idolatry in music is self-centered,  soulish and selfish.  It arouses sinful emotions and feelings and thoughts,  so yes, it is sin.

------------------------

Amos 6:4-6

"What a picture of excess and uselessness! Like Babylon, these people live in indolent luxury, surrounding themselves with the latest creature comforts, overindulging in rich and expensive food and drink. A glass or a cup is not enough for them—they must drink wine from bowls to satisfy their addictions! They sing songs that mean nothing, but in their hearts they think their songs and music equal to David's! Life is a party! And all they have to show for their lives is a lack of judgment."  John R.

Getting back to the original question. I do not believe a person can say that all country and western or rock music is wrong. To me it depends on the words. I know there is an area called Christian Rock. However, that is an area of which I am ignorant and hope others will talk about those songs.

With country and western, to me it depends on the words. There are bad and/or immoral C&W songs. An example is Conway Twitty's "You've never been this far before." 

There are funny C&W songs, such as, "Does Your Chewing Gum Loose its Flavor on the Bedpost Over Night. or "I don't look good naked anymore" The very old country song "Oh Suzanna" has funny lines such as "it was so hot I froze to death."

There are good advice songs such as the Carter Family's "Look on the sunny side."

There are beautiful instrumentals, such as, "Foggy Mountain Breakdown," "Orange Blossom Special," "Dueling Banjos" to name a few. 

There are sad songs, such as "Will the Circle Be Unbroken," "Monday Morning Church," "Old Shep," "God's Will," and "That Silver Haired Daddy of Mine." "If You're Reading This." Just a few of many.

There are country spiritual songs, such as, "I Saw God Today," "Believe", and "Jesus, Take the Wheel." Just 3 of many.

Of course there are the classic Christian hymns that are often played and sung in country and western music converts, such as, "The Old Rugged Cross," "Amazing Grace," "What a Friend We Have in Jesus." There are many more.

I could go on and on, but you get my drift. All country and western music cannot be lumped as bad.

I forgot to say that country music to be country music, unless it is an instrumental and some religious hymns, must tell a story. 

Examples:

Uncle Pen

The Wreck of the Old 97

There are songs that most folk on the board have never heard of and know nothing about. One is "Train 45," another is "Cumberland Gap." These instrumentals are demanding on the fiddle player. 

Speaking of fiddle players I doubt anyone on the board has ever heard of "Lost" John Ray. In the Appalachian Mountains he was a mythical figure, unmatched by those who made tons of money recording in Nashville. Watch the following video all the way through. Don't let his looks put you off. The video was taken at his home in the mountains of North Carolina. These mountain people viewed the world in black and white, good or wrong. There was no gray areas. If they liked you they would give you the last biscuit in the house and go hungry themselves. If they did not like you, well it was best to leave them alone. 

Edited by Bouncing Bill

• Members

The devil also tells a story,  ever since the Garden,  or maybe before that?

He uses music,  church,  politicians,  doctors,  pharmacy, education, and catholicism - babylon worldwide, every day.

Most people, billions daily,  listen to the devil,  knowingly or not.  They follow him instead of Jesus.

Ephesians 2