• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

The Scandal Rocking the Evangelical World

3 hours ago, SureWord said:

They are replacing the old time religion with a new age one.

They are replacing sinners with racists and the only racists will be whites and blacks who dare leave the progressive plantation. 

Racism and being a racist is a sin.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members
On 6/16/2021 at 2:35 PM, Bouncing Bill said:

Racism and being a racist is a sin.

I have a different take on this.  Since there is only one race of people, I call it bigotry.  Bigotry is hatred which of course is a sin, unless one is hating evil.

2 hours ago, swathdiver said:

I have a different take on this.  Since there is only one race of people, I call it bigotry.  Bigotry is hatred which of course is a sin, unless one is hating evil.

The word 'race' can  be used with either meaning. It is not restricted as you indicate. 

Race is a grouping of humans based on shared physical or social qualities into categories generally viewed as distinct by society. 

• Members
On 7/4/2021 at 9:28 AM, Bouncing Bill said:

The word 'race' can  be used with either meaning. It is not restricted as you indicate. 

Race is a grouping of humans based on shared physical or social qualities into categories generally viewed as distinct by society. 

I believe you're speaking of "ethnicity," not race. I don't see where God created any race other than the human race. It all started with Adam, so there IS only one...the human race.

10 minutes ago, BrotherTony said:

I believe you're speaking of "ethnicity," not race. I don't see where God created any race other than the human race. It all started with Adam, so there IS only one...the human race.

Check the dictionary. Yes, there is a human race. However, in English race can mean a particular group of people who share common physical characteristics. So the word, in English, can be used several ways. 

• Members
7 minutes ago, Bouncing Bill said:

Check the dictionary. Yes, there is a human race. However, in English race can mean a particular group of people who share common physical characteristics. So the word, in English, can be used several ways. 

If we go by the English dictionary...yes. If we go by the Bible...NO!

Edited by BrotherTony

28 minutes ago, BrotherTony said:

If we go by the English dictionary...yes. If we go by the Bible...NO!

I do not believe that statement holds. If we are going to be literal I am not sure the word 'race' appears in the Bible when talking about people or groups of people. In the King James Bible the word race appears 5 times and in each instance it is talking about running a race. 

Psalms 19:5 | View whole chapter | See verse in context
Which is as a bridegroom coming out of his chamber, and rejoiceth as a strong man to run a race.
Ecclesiasticus 26:21 | View whole chapter | See verse in context
So thy race which thou leavest shall be magnified, having the confidence of their good descent.
1 Corinthians 9:24 | View whole chapter | See verse in context
Know ye not that they which run in a race run all, but one receiveth the prize? So run, that ye may obtain.
Hebrews 12:1 | View whole chapter | See verse in context
Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us,
Ecclesiastes 9:11 | View whole chapter | See verse in context
I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favour to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all.

Also good Baptist sources do not agree with you.

https://www.biblegateway.com/resources/encyclopedia-of-the-bible/Race

https://obu.edu/stories/blog/2020/06/what-does-the-bible-say-about-race.php

• Members
3 minutes ago, Bouncing Bill said:

I do not believe that statement holds. If we are going to be literal I am not sure the word 'race' appears in the Bible when talking about people or groups of people. In the King James Bible the word race appears 5 times and in each instance it is talking about running a race. 

Psalms 19:5 | View whole chapter | See verse in context
Which is as a bridegroom coming out of his chamber, and rejoiceth as a strong man to run a race.
Ecclesiasticus 26:21 | View whole chapter | See verse in context
So thy race which thou leavest shall be magnified, having the confidence of their good descent.
1 Corinthians 9:24 | View whole chapter | See verse in context
Know ye not that they which run in a race run all, but one receiveth the prize? So run, that ye may obtain.
Hebrews 12:1 | View whole chapter | See verse in context
Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us,
Ecclesiastes 9:11 | View whole chapter | See verse in context
I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favour to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all.

Also good Baptist sources do not agree with you.

https://www.biblegateway.com/resources/encyclopedia-of-the-bible/Race

https://obu.edu/stories/blog/2020/06/what-does-the-bible-say-about-race.php

Again, BB....you're intentionally being obtuse and trying to play "word games" instead of going with the principle teaching of the Bible. God only created one race...and that's literal enough for me. Please, feel free to be literal in one thing and figurative in others. UGH!