• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Looking for Bible verses for wedding

• Members

My daughter is getting married in July. She has asked me to say a verse or two. There's no way I can just choose ONE verse! What I'd like to do is talk quickly about the "trinity of marriage", God, man and wife. A way of emphasizing the importance of God being the rock of the relationship and without him in the marriage, it will be very rocky relying on only themselves.

Can anyone give me a few references/ verses to back up what I'm trying to say? I have a concordance I'm using looking up key words.

Thanks for any advice!

• Members
10 minutes ago, Miss Daisy said:

My daughter is getting married in July. She has asked me to say a verse or two. There's no way I can just choose ONE verse! What I'd like to do is talk quickly about the "trinity of marriage", God, man and wife. A way of emphasizing the importance of God being the rock of the relationship and without him in the marriage, it will be very rocky relying on only themselves.

Can anyone give me a few references/ verses to back up what I'm trying to say? I have a concordance I'm using looking up key words.

Thanks for any advice!

Ephesian 5:21-33 is a good start.

I Corinthians 11:3- But I would have you know, that the head of every man is Christ; and the head of the woman is the man; and the head of Christ is God.

• Members

Most people may know this,  I knew this for decades, and am surprised today how many times it is found in Scripture :

Ephesians 5:31

31 For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and shall be joined unto his wife, and they two shall be one flesh.

============================================

Genesis 2:24

24 Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh.

Matthew 19:5

And said, For this cause shall a man leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife: and they twain shall be one flesh?

Mark 10:8

And they twain shall be one flesh: so then they are no more twain, but one flesh.

=============================================

And then,  where is it written:   What God Has Joined,  let no man take apart ?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members
47 minutes ago, 1Timothy115 said:

To the groom...

Proverbs 31:10   "Who can find a virtuous woman?"

Follow up with, 'If the wisest man in the world needed help to find a virtuous woman what makes you think you did? ? ? ?

Probably not the best advice ?.

No kidding I have a pastor friend who only officiated funerals and not weddings because he says "they keep longer". Lol

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

At the moment, the best passage coming to mind for your purpose (the tri-unity of marriage) would be Ephesians 5:15(or18)-33. Most who know Scripture recognize Ephesians 5:22-33 as a significant marriage passage.  However, the passage actually begins with the instruction to be filled with the Spirit in Ephesians 5:18.  If you need a shorter passage, you could try Colossians 3:16-19.  In this passage the instruction to let the Word of Christ dwell in us richly (in verse 16) is employed in the place of the instruction to be filled with the Spirit (as per Ephesians 5:18).  I cannot think of any other "singular" passage that might serve to fulfill your purpose (to present the tri-unity of a good, godly marriage from a single passage of Scripture).

• 1 month later...