• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Fearful Sights!

• Members

There are several passages that give general prophecies of judgement that also state if those same people turn from their sin, God would withhold the judgement, and also the opposite: if the righteous turn from righteousness, God will bring judgement. I’m not feeling well, but I am sure it is not too hard to find those passages.

Also, though Esau repented and later wanted the birthright, God did not change His mind on giving it to Jacob (it was His plan to give it to Jacob all along). Esau was never interested in walking with the Lord or getting any spiritual blessings - he just wanted to feed his fleshly appetites.

• Members
On 5/10/2021 at 9:26 AM, 1Timothy115 said:

"and fearful sights and great signs shall there be from heaven." [Luke 21:11]

Back on topic, I suppose there are no other scripture references which might shed further light on what these "fearful sights" and "great signs" coming "from heaven" might be besides...

Luke 21:25-26 and Mark 13:24-25

So, possibly that is the end of the original question...

What will these "fearful sights and great signs...from heaven" be? Is the Lord speaking of Godly signs, man-made signs, or signs of deception by Satan?

Yes, I will refer back to Isaiah and look closer at Thessalonians and the Revelation. But, I continue to think the answer is here in the 3 synoptic gospels. Thanks folks!

• Members
On 5/11/2021 at 4:10 PM, jeff_student_of_Jesus said:

Multitudes were taught erroneously that they would be saved from , or spared from, suffering if they became a 'Christian' in some gropus.    From all KJV and history, including the last ten years, and last couple centuries, and last 2000 years,

this is obviously not true testimony ,  not in line with Scripture at all, to tell them that they would not have to suffer or die for their faith in Jesus.

Could you clarify for me what it is you want to find out more about ?   It certainly has all be studied and studied and studied, and ten thousand times a thousand volumes written about so many points (maybe a slight exageration here, but it sure feels that way) ....  and in the world system, as written, most of the many points of course are to keep peope from ever finding the truth or from even seeking for the truth and reality and Jesus.   Thus, everything must be verified by Scripture, in Harmony with all of God's Word, Plan and Purpose as He Himself Reveals.

Yes, I agree that,  "Yea, and all that will live godly in Christ Jesus shall suffer persecution." [2 Timothy 3:12] however, to what degree all depends on the Lord. But, according to everything else I've read or studied and been taught, born again Christians will not suffer "great tribulation." I may see some tribulation, I think we all will, but not the seven years of of it from Daniel.

The original question is what I wanted to find out more about but, I'm beginning to believe I have the answer. That answer being the inclusion of... 

27 minutes ago, 1Timothy115 said:

Isaiah and look closer at Thessalonians and the Revelation.

There are so many key words in scriptures pointing toward this end time prophecy that I may be listening to Jesus explain it before I satisfy my curiosity.

• Members

True Christians will suffer tribulation, be persecuted, be martyred for their faith. This has happened all through history - and even now is happening in some other countries (maybe not much in North America) - so there is no need for true Christians to go through the Great Tribulation (ie. in the sense that “they are not undergoing persecution and tribulation now” - but they are, just not here - and who is to say there won’t be greater tribulation and persecution as this world turns further and further from God and His Word). Also, from several passages, it is clear that the whole seven year tribulation period is a time of God’s wrath. The Lord Jesus Christ has already endured the wrath for our sins and has promised we will not face it. We would be enduring it if we were here during those seven years.

Edited by Jerry

• Members
2 hours ago, 1Timothy115 said:

Back on topic, I suppose there are no other scripture references which might shed further light on what these "fearful sights" and "great signs" coming "from heaven" might be besides...

So, possibly that is the end of the original question...

Yes, I will refer back to Isaiah and look closer at Thessalonians and the Revelation. But, I continue to think the answer is here in the 3 synoptic gospels. Thanks folks!

Acts 2

[19] And I will shew wonders in heaven above, and signs in the earth beneath; blood, and fire, and vapour of smoke:
[20] The sun shall be turned into darkness, and the moon into blood, before that great and notable day of the Lord come:
[21] And it shall come to pass, that whosoever shall call on the name of the Lord shall be saved.

Not the synoptic gospels but authored by Luke nonetheless.

• Members
On 5/10/2021 at 9:50 AM, Pastor Scott Markle said:

Brother 1Timothy115,

I believe that contextually Luke 21:11 is a summary statement that looks forward to the statement of Luke 21:25.  Furthermore, I believe that contextually the phrase, "But BEFORE all these things," with which Luke 21:12 begins, places all that is reported in verses 12-24 as a contextual break between the report of Luke 21:11 and Luke 21:25.  As such, I would hold that Luke 21:12-24 reveals the events that will occur throughout "the times of Gentiles" (the time of the church age) as per verse 24; and I would hold that the report of Luke 21:11 & 25 (in union with one another) reveals events that will occur during the time of the Tribulation Period.

Since I hold that Luke 21:11 is a summary statement that looks forward to the statements of Luke 21:25-26, and thus should be viewed in union with Luke 21:25-26 (as per my reasoning above), I would further hold that Luke 21:11, 25-26 are to be viewed in parallel with Matthew 24:29 & Mark 13:24-25.  Now, contextually Matthew 24:29 & Mark 13:24-25 seem to place these events AFTER the "great tribulation" (as per Matthew 24:15-28 & Mark 13:14-23) which is initiated by "the abomination of desolation" (as per Matthew 24:15 & Mark 13:14).  Furthermore, I would hold that "the abomination of desolation" is to be defined as that future event wherein the antichrist will sit "in the temple of God, shewing himself that he is God" (as per 2 Thessalonians 2:4 & Revelation 13:1-18), which event seems to initiate the second half of the Tribulation Period (as per Revelation 12-13).  Thus I would hold that the events of Luke 21:11, 25-26, Matthew 24:15, and Mark 13:24-25 are to be viewed in parallel with the seven vial judgments of Revelation 16:1-21 (especially the fourth, fifth, and seventh).

(Note: Although I acknowledge that the Book of Revelation contains a number of allegorical elements, I would view the prophecies therein to be a bit more "linear" than Brother Mike seems to hold.)

• Members

As far as linear events go, yes, some passages refer back to earlier events and then bring us to the present (such as the initial verses of chapter 12) - but Revelation 1:19-20 and 4:1 clearly indicate that the rest of the book of Revelation takes places after the events of chapters 1-3 (which is the church age).

• Moderators
On 5/12/2021 at 11:49 AM, jeff_student_of_Jesus said:

No one posted any Scripture of God's "Promise" to destroy Nineveh.  

His Word is always True - there is no one God can swear by , no oath God can take on anything to make His Word more certain, is there ? 

Did God get persuaded "due to their repentance" ?  If so,  why ?   Esau, though he repented with tears, could not persuade God, right ?  Or the betrayer, Judas ?

God spared Nineveh because He wanted to .

When God sends a prophet do declare judgment against a city, that is a promise. Jonah, at God's commands, declared "Yet 40 days and Nineveh shall be overthrown" That is the prophet preaching to Nineveh the preaching that God bid him preach. That is a promise. However, God's will is that the wicked not perish, but that they repent. Nineveh repented, and they were spared, though God's judgment did eventually fall on them a century later. 

"And the word of the LORD came unto Jonah the second time, saying, Arise, go unto Nineveh, that great city, and preach unto it the preaching that I bid thee. So Jonah arose, and went unto Nineveh, according to the word of the LORD. Now Nineveh was an exceeding great city of three days' journey. And Jonah began to enter into the city a day's journey, and he cried, and said, Yet forty days, and Nineveh shall be overthrown. So the people of Nineveh believed God, and proclaimed a fast, and put on sackcloth, from the greatest of them even to the least of them. "

Notice, they didn't believe Jonah, the believed GOD. God spared them because He is gracious and merciful and doesn't wish the wicked to die, but to repent. 

• Members

Believe God:   i.e. make no promise, don't swear.

Matthew 5:36-37

King James Version

36 Neither shalt thou swear by thy head, because thou canst not make one hair white or black.

37 But let your communication be, Yea, yea; Nay, nay: for whatsoever is more than these cometh of evil.

• Members

And... the Random Comment of the Day Award goes to Jeff!

Also, don’t swear (ie. make an oath) is not the same thing as don’t make a promise. God is all for promises - but only He has the authority to make an oath by Himself; therefore, He is against men making oaths to affirm their word.

• Members
On 5/12/2021 at 2:49 PM, jeff_student_of_Jesus said:

No one posted any Scripture of God's "Promise" to destroy Nineveh.  

His Word is always True - there is no one God can swear by , no oath God can take on anything to make His Word more certain, is there ? 

Did God get persuaded "due to their repentance" ?  If so,  why ?   Esau, though he repented with tears, could not persuade God, right ?  Or the betrayer, Judas ?

God spared Nineveh because He wanted to .

God didn't change anything, if that's what you're trying to say. God spared Nineveh because they fell in line with God's eternal direction (His will). If I were to put it in the common vernacular, "my way or the highway."

"The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance." [2 Peter 3:9] "For I am the LORD, I change not; therefore ye sons of Jacob are not consumed." [Malachi 3:6]