• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Biblical Archaeology’s Top 10 Discoveries of 2020

• Members
On 5/6/2021 at 8:23 AM, Bouncing Bill said:

Fascinating, but #7 really? Some of these pot heads have been trying to turn Moses, Jesus, the Apostles, etc into pot smokers for years like the pervs have been finding "evidence" that men like Hamilton and Lincoln were gay. 

Even if some weed was burnt on the altar this is no proof that it was in worship of Jehovah. It could have been when the Jews were backslidden worshipping Baal or even some other religious group that hijacked the altar to burn weed upon. The Arabs were notorious hashish smokers.

11 minutes ago, SureWord said:

Fascinating, but #7 really? Some of these pot heads have been trying to turn Moses, Jesus, the Apostles, etc into pot smokers for years like the pervs have been finding "evidence" that men like Hamilton and Lincoln were gay. 

Even if some weed was burnt on the altar this is no proof that it was in worship of Jehovah. It could have been when the Jews were backslidden worshipping Baal or even some other religious group that hijacked the altar to burn weed upon. The Arabs were notorious hashish smokers.

We will probably never know the context in which "pot" was used. It does not bother me how it was used and does not affect my beliefs in any way. 

• Members
1 hour ago, Bouncing Bill said:

We will probably never know the context in which "pot" was used. It does not bother me how it was used and does not affect my beliefs in any way. 

The article you posted a link to,   what was there that was of interest to you ?

Do you believe any of the article is true ?  Do you believe any of it can be trusted ?

The "context" of the use of marijuana in the united states before 1950 is fairly well known. 

The "context" of using anything that impairs the mind or spirit is also explained pretty well , I think,  in God's Word, KJV

3 hours ago, jeff_student_of_Jesus said:

The article you posted a link to,   what was there that was of interest to you ?

Do you believe any of the article is true ?  Do you believe any of it can be trusted ?

The "context" of the use of marijuana in the united states before 1950 is fairly well known. 

The "context" of using anything that impairs the mind or spirit is also explained pretty well , I think,  in God's Word, KJV

Why would they lie? I am not a cynical, conspiracy theory person. I spend my working life doing research, finding information for engineers, computer programmers, etc. I learned that trained experts in their field do not go around looking to lie. I am sure the finds are real. The interpretation of finds, well I leave that up to people trained in the field of archeology. 

My personal philosophy is follow the leads to the truth and if I don't like the truth, then I have to reorder my beliefs to incorporate the truth. Facts can be nasty things showing up our preconceived pet beliefs. 

[Very gently said.]

• Members
8 hours ago, Bouncing Bill said:

No, it may not effect your beliefs, but it's just more bunk to push the marijuana money making scam through. Jesus and Moses smoked weed so it's OK for everyone.

I see where a suburb of Chicago is going to pay reparations to black folks from the taxes on the weed that they'll be selling to black folks. 

Edited by SureWord

9 hours ago, SureWord said:

No, it may not effect your beliefs, but it's just more bunk to push the marijuana money making scam through. Jesus and Moses smoked weed so it's OK for everyone.

I see where a suburb of Chicago is going to pay reparations to black folks from the taxes on the weed that they'll be selling to black folks. 

It seems a tempest in a teapot to me. Surely I have current more important things to be concerned about. 

• Moderators

On the marijuana issue, we have to remember that there is a whole lot of assumption and guessing that goes on in archaeology. The presence of marijuana residue doesn't mean it was used for worship-it could have been from any time between the time the altar was used for worship and the tie of finding it. Maybe 200 years later, 500 years later, some guys stopped for a smoke and sat on the old altar, who knows? What we DO know, is that there is no scriptural mandate for the use of marijuana, or that I am aware of, that it was ever cultivated in ancient Israel, so we know if there was true worship of God going on there, we know it wasn't part of that. Anything else is conjecture and doesn't really matter. 

14 hours ago, Ukulelemike said:

On the marijuana issue, we have to remember that there is a whole lot of assumption and guessing that goes on in archaeology. The presence of marijuana residue doesn't mean it was used for worship-it could have been from any time between the time the altar was used for worship and the tie of finding it. Maybe 200 years later, 500 years later, some guys stopped for a smoke and sat on the old altar, who knows? What we DO know, is that there is no scriptural mandate for the use of marijuana, or that I am aware of, that it was ever cultivated in ancient Israel, so we know if there was true worship of God going on there, we know it wasn't part of that. Anything else is conjecture and doesn't really matter. 

Thanks, good reply. I was thinking much the same. People have a propensity to dump current thinking onto ancient peoples ... and that is a mistake. We have no context of how the marijuana smoke got there. You are right there is no Biblical mandate to use or not to use marijuana or tobacco for that matter. Of course, tobacco was totally unknown in that part of the world at that time. 

• Members

I fully expect that tobacco was well known and a lot more healthy back then than in the last 500 years.

Not noticing "that part of the world at that time"  I just searched and found this >>

Experts Discover Hard Evidence that Native Americans were ...

https://www.ancient-origins.net/news-history-archaeology/experts-discover-evidence-native-americans-smoking-tobacco-021948
Experts Discover Hard Evidence that Native Americans were Smoking Tobacco 3000 Years Ago | Ancient Origins Updated 18 June, 2018 - 22:56 Ed Whelan Experts Discover Hard Evidence that Native Americans were Smoking Tobacco 3000 Years Ago
Oldest Known Evidence of Tobacco Use in North America ...

https://www.ancient-origins.net/news-history-archaeology/oldest-known-evidence-tobacco-use-north-america-found-ice-age-hunting-camp-020922
According to Dr. Daron Duke, senior archaeologist with the Nevada-based Far Western Anthropological Research Group, the most interesting part of the discovery is that there is no direct evidence that people used tobacco past 3,000 years ago, but this research proved its use more than 12,000 years ago. Tobacco seeds (representational image only).
Ancient America: 3,000 Years Ago

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2011/7/1/990482/-
Three thousand years ago—about 1000 BCE—there was a lot going on around the world. ... 3,000 Years Ago . Ojibwa for Native American ... The pipes were flared on the tobacco end and narrowed on ...

===========================================

As Written in the KJV

Per the use of anything that affects the mind or health,  

anything that pollutes is not condoned,  advised, or permitted.  

Anything that causes or unleashes or results in a person ungodly thoughts, emotions, feelings,  illusions, actions, and so forth is also not permitted.

• Administrators

Jeff, the last part of your post is not written anywhere in the KJV as you posted it. It is not Scripture. Please, if you assume to quote KJV Scripture, please quote it chapter and verse.

• Administrators

Jeff, I am going to copy and paste your words where you say "As Written in the KJV" 

So, I will ask once more nicely, if you quote Scripture, please cite chapter and verse directly from the KJV;

"As Written in the KJV

Per the use of anything that affects the mind or health,  

anything that pollutes is not condoned,  advised, or permitted.  

Anything that causes or unleashes or results in a person ungodly thoughts, emotions, feelings,  illusions, actions, and so forth is also not permitted."