• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Street Preaching

• Administrators

Another topic got me thinking. When you street preach what do you preach about?

I am 100% against abortion, homosexual marriage (If the government want to have civil unions so be it, but God ordained marriage between a husband and a wife), alcohol, and other things, but when I street preach I stick with the gospel message.

I get into homosexuality and other sins once I get to engage on a one on one situation or they bring it up. Salvation first, then let the Holy Spirit work on their heart.

Does anyone here get up and street preach about homosexuality?

• Members
3 hours ago, PastorMatt said:

I am 100% against abortion, homosexual marriage (If the government want to have civil unions so be it, but God ordained marriage between a husband and a wife), alcohol, and other things, but when I street preach I stick with the gospel message.

I get into homosexuality and other sins once I get to engage on a one on one situation or they bring it up. Salvation first, then let the Holy Spirit work on their heart.

We should stick to the gospel, IMO. 

As far as that old preacher in England the headline said he was arrested for preaching against same sex marriage but they only showed the clip of him being arrested nothing of what he said. Some lady in the crowd says something about him being arrested for preaching Christianity but it was hard to hear all she said also.

• Administrators
18 minutes ago, SureWord said:

We should stick to the gospel, IMO. 

As far as that old preacher in England the headline said he was arrested for preaching against same sex marriage but they only showed the clip of him being arrested nothing of what he said. Some lady in the crowd says something about him being arrested for preaching Christianity but it was hard to hear all she said also.

I know some preachers who get up and street preach on sins just for the reactions they get. I've never seen a street preacher preach on gluttony. 

The gospel alone is enough to get the devil mad. 

• Members

It really depends on the audience. If I'm at a street corner preaching mainly to red light traffic and cross walkers then I limit it to gospel verses with small explanations and a plea to believe on Christ, lasting no more than a minute at a  time but I'll cycle through several gospel verses and thoughts just in case someone stopes to listen for a few minute.

If you know that they'll be in earshot longer than five or ten minutes like a bus stop area or park you can have a more complete plan with themes and if more then 15, as in a college campus, event, fair, etc. where people are not in a hurry, you can deal with specific sins and elicit reactions to draw a crowd.

I don't agree with his theology but an Arminian Christian that is known an skilled at street preaching is Br. Jesse Morrell. In several of his videos he gives his reason for street preaching. If you watch some of his videos, you might be able to pick up a few good tips, even if you don't necessarily go with his style or theology. He uses the KJV.

Here is a lesson he gave at a Liberty University Evangelism Conference: 

IN this video he speaks of the legal rights of street preachers and how to deal with the police who may get called out: 

This one is about how to open air preach: 

This one is about the how and why to draw a crowd: 

This one he deals with the homosexual topic when street preaching: 

On 4/27/2021 at 9:52 AM, PastorMatt said:

Preach Christ, not social issues. If they come to Christ he will work on their social issue beliefs.

• 2 months later...
  • Members
On 4/27/2021 at 8:52 AM, PastorMatt said:

I have a dear friend from childhood who is a pastor in Independence, MO. He has a place called "Hallowed Corner" where he gives out the Gospel of Jesus Christ and KJV Bibles, being a witness to his area. He's out there at least once every week, and I have to say, I'm very glad to know that some preachers still do this. When I was growing up, we would go out as teens and preach on street corners. Then when I was a student at the Fellowship Baptist College of E. Peoria, IL out of the Averyville Baptist Church, several of us students would go out and preach on the corners of E. Peoria and other small towns in the area. At that time there wasn't much of a push to preach against homosexuality. I don't know if Brother Tharp preaches against homosexuality on the street corner, but I believe he preaches against it from the pulpit. 

https://www.nhbaptist.com/

If you look Brother Tharp up on FB and go through several of his posts, I'm sure you'll come across a post from him about his day on the "Hallowed Corner!" 

On 4/30/2021 at 3:28 AM, Bouncing Bill said:

Preach Christ, not social issues. If they come to Christ he will work on their social issue beliefs.

I agree. I don't think people should be preaching social issues on the street corners. It would be counterproductive. I do believe however that they should preach on social issues from the pulpit, using the Scriptures to back their positions. There is nothing wrong with this. 

• Members
On 4/27/2021 at 12:57 PM, PastorMatt said:

I know some preachers who get up and street preach on sins just for the reactions they get. I've never seen a street preacher preach on gluttony. 

The gospel alone is enough to get the devil mad. 

Preachers who do this for the shock value are truly not doing what the Lord wants IMHO. I believe it's counter-productive, and unChristlike. Yes, there were times when Christ made mention of a sin, but he didn't try to destroy the person he was speaking to. He was direct...example? The woman who had had five husbands and was living with a man who wasn't her husband. He simply made mention of the sin, and she corrected the situation. She had been seeking something, and Christ presented that something! In fact, he WAS that something! His plan for redemption was just what she needed. She immediately realized that HE was the MESSIAH!

• Members

Me and a pastor friend, his brother and my boss from work would street preach in downtown Utica, NY. We'd stick strictly to the gospel.

There was a Catholic bookstore nearby and I went in there to look around and asked where the KJV bibles were and the clerk said they keep those back in storage. Should have figured.