• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

If you have left the IFB churches in the past and are SBC now....

Go to solution Solved by SureWord,

• Members

Have you EVER considered going back to the IFB churches? If so, what were the reasons for your considering this? I've been interested since I have had several friends who have recently left and gone back to being IFB. Is it possible that they are under the impression that the SBC is going to implode upon itself, or has become too "woke?"

• Members
8 minutes ago, PastorMatt said:

I have a sincere question, How does one go about joining and then removing themselves from the SBC?

For church members, it's a simple as moving one's letter. The SBC churches are all autonomous and independent (they don't use the big letter "I"..bad connotation to them) and they send the letter to the church asking for it, that is, unless the people decide to join by statement of faith. For churches, if I'm not mistaken since I was in two churches that did so before they finally ended up joining in with other churches, it is as allegedly as simple as letting the local and state associations know that they aren't going to be participating in the cooperative program any longer. It doesn't mean that they can't associate with the SBC churches, but it does mean that the SBC will consider them non-SBC churches. 

• Members
  • Solution

It seems that people who leave IFB end up eventually leaving church altogether. My brother, who was a big influence on me getting saved, left his IFB church for SBC then went to a non-denominational now is out of church completely.

Where I'm originally from there were no SBC or IFB churches but Regular Baptist churches (GARB). I now attend an IFB church in my new home state and my friend who I met in a GARB church in my old state started an IFB church the only one in a 40 mile radius.

People leaving SBC going back to IFB my guess is because of how they are letting Critical Race Theory to take hold and because of Beth Moore.

• Members
On 4/24/2021 at 8:24 PM, SureWord said:

It seems that people who leave IFB end up eventually leaving church altogether. My brother, who was a big influence on me getting saved, left his IFB church for SBC then went to a non-denominational now is out of church completely.

Where I'm originally from there were no SBC or IFB churches but Regular Baptist churches (GARB). I now attend an IFB church in my new home state and my friend who I met in a GARB church in my old state started an IFB church the only one in a 40 mile radius.

People leaving SBC going back to IFB my guess is because of how they are letting Critical Race Theory to take hold and because of Beth Moore.

It seems to me that you are casting a wide net over a whole set of people. Not all who leave an SBC church go to Non-Denominational churches, though  some will because of the continued infighting within the "denomination" (that truly ISN'T a correct terminology..it's more of a loose-knit association) because of the new proposals during their SBC meetings every year or two years. CRT and the men controlling the cooperative programs are the biggest things now, along with the attempt to wash away the fact the the SBC has connections to the South, which of course, makes them a target of racist groups trying to connect the present churches with slavery, etc. Slavery has been over for almost 200 years, and these malcontents need to get over it. I'm not saying there aren't bad elements within the SBC, because there are. Beth Moore, though she claimed to be SBC, never truly was SBC. The church she is "pastor" of is now out of the convention, she says by her choice, they say otherwise...I've not got a dog in that fight, so I'm staying out of it. I wasn't sorry to see her church go, though. I've NEVER been a fan of Moore. Personally, many who leave one SBC church tend to go to another that is more in line with the BF&M 2000. Where I grew up, the GARBC was IFB in nature, though they belonged to the Association. 

• Members
4 hours ago, BrotherTony said:

It seems to me that you are casting a wide net over a whole set of people. Not all who leave an SBC church go to Non-Denominational churches, though  some will because of the continued infighting within the "denomination" (that truly ISN'T a correct terminology..it's more of a loose-knit association) because of the new proposals during their SBC meetings every year or two years. CRT and the men controlling the cooperative programs are the biggest things now, along with the attempt to wash away the fact the the SBC has connections to the South, which of course, makes them a target of racist groups trying to connect the present churches with slavery, etc. Slavery has been over for almost 200 years, and these malcontents need to get over it. I'm not saying there aren't bad elements within the SBC, because there are. Beth Moore, though she claimed to be SBC, never truly was SBC. The church she is "pastor" of is now out of the convention, she says by her choice, they say otherwise...I've not got a dog in that fight, so I'm staying out of it. I wasn't sorry to see her church go, though. I've NEVER been a fan of Moore. Personally, many who leave one SBC church tend to go to another that is more in line with the BF&M 2000. Where I grew up, the GARBC was IFB in nature, though they belonged to the Association. 

I was talking about people who leave the IFB not the SBC. It was that group I was casting a "wide net" upon. From my experience they do not go back because the can't bear the standards, pastoral leadership or they got burned in an IFB church. This was the case with my brother.

As far as people leaving the SBC like I said my guess is because of the whole CRT situation and the shift in focus of the leadership within. It wouldn't be the first time they split over race.

Also,  many congregations pulled out of the SBC over the leaven of Modernism during the 1920's and 30s.

I Corinthian 1:18-19:

18) For first of all, when ye come together in the church, I hear that there be divisions among you; and I partly believe it.

19) For there must be also heresies among you, that they which are approved may be made manifest among you.

• Members
1 hour ago, SureWord said:

I was talking about people who leave the IFB not the SBC. It was that group I was casting a "wide net" upon. From my experience they do not go back because the can't bear the standards, pastoral leadership or they got burned in an IFB church. This was the case with my brother.

As far as people leaving the SBC like I said my guess is because of the whole CRT situation and the shift in focus of the leadership within. It wouldn't be the first time they split over race.

Also,  many congregations pulled out of the SBC over the leaven of Modernism during the 1920's and 30s.

I Corinthian 1:18-19:

18) For first of all, when ye come together in the church, I hear that there be divisions among you; and I partly believe it.

19) For there must be also heresies among you, that they which are approved may be made manifest among you.

You're correct that there was a schism in the SBC during that time frame. There was also one back in the 70s I believe that led to the formation of another "off-shoot" of the SBC. If I misunderstood the spirit of your post, I apologize. I don't often do that, but do admit when I make mistakes or possibly make them. ? Happens to the best of us! I just know that my wife and I have in the past talked of leaving the SBC and going back to being IFB, though we would look for a church that wasn't so rigid that it strangled us to death spiritually. I believe that many of the ones we were associated with could be classified as Pharisaical in actions. I won't go through all that again and neither will my wife. 

• Administrators

I have a hard time comparing the SBC to the IFB. Before I go any farther, I have preached and know many very conservative Southern Baptist Churches that I would have no problem fellowshipping with or even even maybe be a member of, and I know many liberal IFB churches that I would 100% not be a part of.

I understand that both IFB and SBC churches are both autonomous. SBC also has more of a liberal connotation to it, maybe that comes from the convention itself and SBC churches seem to be more liberal overall.

As a pastor, I can’t see myself ever moving our church from IFB to SBC. The IFB just feels more independent without having a physical association attached to it. To be IFB all you have to do is call yourself IFB. I guess the SBC seems like a franchise church to me. I’m not trying to mock it, just trying to put my feelings into words here. Also the IFB has no convention or organization attached to it.

Brother Tony, question for you. Do SBC churches have to donate/dues to the SBC?

• Members
42 minutes ago, PastorMatt said:

I have a hard time comparing the SBC to the IFB. Before I go any farther, I have preached and know many very conservative Southern Baptist Churches that I would have no problem fellowshipping with or even even maybe be a member of, and I know many liberal IFB churches that I would 100% not be a part of.

I understand that both IFB and SBC churches are both autonomous. SBC also has more of a liberal connotation to it, maybe that comes from the convention itself and SBC churches seem to be more liberal overall.

As a pastor, I can’t see myself ever moving our church from IFB to SBC. The IFB just feels more independent without having a physical association attached to it. To be IFB all you have to do is call yourself IFB. I guess the SBC seems like a franchise church to me. I’m not trying to mock it, just trying to put my feelings into words here. Also the IFB has no convention or organization attached to it.

Brother Tony, question for you. Do SBC churches have to donate/dues to the SBC?

In answer to your question, they DO NOT have to donate/pay dues to the SBC. They do agree to work in some form or another in cooperative missions such as the Annie Armstrong or Lottie Moon offerings. There's another offering that slips my mind this early in the morning. There are many churches in the SBC that are withholding their missions offerings to the North American Missions Board (NAMB) because of the way it's being run by Kevin Ezell. They also are refusing to work with the Ethics and Religious Liberty Commission (ERLC) run by Brother Russell. Both are involved right now in a court case before the SCOTUS, where originally, a former State of Delaware missions director was removed by the Ezell, slandered and nearly lost his reputation permanently. He sued, not just for himself, but for the states that contribute to the NAMB who have been left behind because Kevin Ezell has pretty much stopped their ability to plant new churches in their states. They contribute and when funds are needed, they've been cut off. Ezell and Russell Moore (a lifelong Democrat) lied in their Amicus brief before the circuit court, and are trying to turn the SBC and the organizations they contribute to a hierarchy as one would find in the Catholic, Episcopal or Methodist churches. A lot is going on right now that just really tempts me to leave the SBC and go back to being an IFB'er. or to join an AFCC church and become a church planter for them. So far, the Lord has given no clear direction on which way to go. No church, fellowship, convention or association is perfect, but I believe that this cooperative offering, though once was a good thing, has become a monster unto itself and is beyond the control of the churches. I'm also finding that the International Missions Board is having more and more of a say about when missionaries need to leave the field they are in because of "imminent danger." I thought that was up to the Lord. I have also found that we who donate to the IMB don't really ever see or hear from these missionaries when they come home for the obligatory period of time. It's all reported to the IMB, and then dispersed to the churches via newsletter or paper. It's not a good thing. Some of the SBC churches are, as I stated, withholding their missions giving and directing it to other organizations like the Gideon's, Campus Crusade for Christ and other mission organizations. I don't blame them. I've brought several of these things to my pastors attention and spoken to him via phone, in person and by email/text/messenger, but he doesn't want to hear it. He did convey it to the deacons, but said I would have a fight on my hands if I tried to take it to them. So, I'm not truly sure what to do at this point but pray for God's direction on which way my wife and I should go. I guess my IFB roots are showing and it's irritating some people in "leadership" at my home church. I'm just trying to do what's Scriptural. I don't understand why that would make anyone feel threatened or make them angry/upset with me. I haven't gone to anyone else except for posting it here. I may have posted some of it in response to the man who's being sued by Ezell and Russell Moore. You can read more about that if you look up Will McRaney...Link attached for some of it. If it's not permissible, please remove it. I'd like people to be aware of what's going on, though so that they could beware and steer themselves clear of the evil that's going on right now. http://www.willmcraney.com  Blessings. 

Edited by BrotherTony