• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Hate Crimes Against Asians?

The Baptist Church i am a member of is not IFB. That being said, we have always had one or more members who were Asian. They add much to our congregation. I have seen no hate in our congregation. Indeed, we are a very welcoming church. Everyone needs Christ.

Years ago, in another church, I taught an International Sunday School Class. The majority were Vietnamese and Chinese. They were a great group. Oh, and talk about good food at class parties. Makes my mouth water to think about those parties. 

Edited by Bouncing Bill

• Members
Just now, Bouncing Bill said:

The Baptist Church i am a member of is not IFB. That being said, we have always had one or more members who were Asian. They add much to our congregation. I have seen no hate in our congregation. Indeed, we are a very welcoming church. Everyone needs Christ.

Years ago I taught an International Sunday School Class. The majority were Vietnamese and Chinese. They were a great group. Oh, and talk about good food at class parties. Makes my mouth water to think about those parties. 

I have a Korean-American grandson, what a blessing he has been to me. It is difficult for me to understand how there could be hate toward all Asian Americans. I do live in very rural America so, maybe its just in the cities.

• Members
16 minutes ago, 1Timothy115 said:

I'm just wondering if there is evidence of this among IFB and/or IB communities. Are any of you seeing hate expressed toward the asian ethnic population in the United States?

Every race, nationality and etnic-religious group has experienced hate at one time or another. Right now it's white people on the receiving end of most of it from the media and academia. You'll find that most hate towards minorities actually come from leftists despite how the try to portray it. I live out in the country and everyone gets along.

As far as from IFBers I have never heard of hate towards Asians but I'm sure it occurs just like with any other group. 

P.S. I love Dr. Gene Kim

Edited by SureWord

• Administrators
13 hours ago, 1Timothy115 said:

I'm just wondering if there is evidence of this among IFB and/or IB communities. Are any of you seeing hate expressed toward the asian ethnic population in the United States?

Whenever you deal with humans you will have deal with all sins. With that being said, none of the churches I have been a part of have I seen any hatred toward Asians, but I'm sure that it is out there somewhere in some IFB and other churches. It's sad if it does exist. 

• Members
20 hours ago, 1Timothy115 said:

In short, I haven't seen it in the IFB/IB or SBC communities at all. I haven't seen it at the local universities either. I've heard people on the news saying that there have been "actions taken" against people of the Asian races in our area, but I've seen no PROOF of it. I think they're just trying to stir up trouble, as USUAL! I no longer watch the local news, nor the national news. It was so toxic, and my wife and I both agreed that we didn't need that toxicity in our Christian walk. My wife hears the news on the radio while at work, and it's on the television in the break-room at work, but she eats in the car to avoid that news. The radio near her workstation is more accurate than the local television channels, and during this whole "pandemic" (ALLEGED), there has only been one report of any kind of action against an Asian, and that was by another Asia. So, I wish this kind of junk would just disappear from the conversations of people. It may be happening in other parts of the country.

• Members
4 hours ago, BrotherTony said:

In short, I haven't seen it in the IFB/IB or SBC communities at all. I haven't seen it at the local universities either. I've heard people on the news saying that there have been "actions taken" against people of the Asian races in our area, but I've seen no PROOF of it. I think they're just trying to stir up trouble, as USUAL! I no longer watch the local news, nor the national news. It was so toxic, and my wife and I both agreed that we didn't need that toxicity in our Christian walk. My wife hears the news on the radio while at work, and it's on the television in the break-room at work, but she eats in the car to avoid that news. The radio near her workstation is more accurate than the local television channels, and during this whole "pandemic" (ALLEGED), there has only been one report of any kind of action against an Asian, and that was by another Asia. So, I wish this kind of junk would just disappear from the conversations of people. It may be happening in other parts of the country.

Thanks, I'm not sure where you're at but, as I stated its not going on around here, that I'm aware of. I have heard and seen comments about the Chinese leader hiding facts about the wuhan virus but not a general hate of Asians or Asian-Americans (Americans of Asian descent). I just heard about a U.S. House Resolution to condemn Asian hate crimes now the Senate has passed one... U.S. Senate passes bill to fight anti-Asian hate crimes (yahoo.com) Thu, April 22, 2021, 3:46 PM.

• Members
59 minutes ago, 1Timothy115 said:

Thanks, I'm not sure where you're at but, as I stated its not going on around here, that I'm aware of. I have heard and seen comments about the Chinese leader hiding facts about the wuhan virus but not a general hate of Asians or Asian-Americans (Americans of Asian descent). I just heard about a U.S. House Resolution to condemn Asian hate crimes now the Senate has passed one... U.S. Senate passes bill to fight anti-Asian hate crimes (yahoo.com) Thu, April 22, 2021, 3:46 PM.

These hate crime legislations are a slippery slope. They usually are  used to target only one group of people for punishment, infringe on free speech, lead to thought police and the unequal application of justice. 

That man who shot up those Asian massage parlors should he do more time because he killed some Asians as opposed to killing only whites (he killed both but the Asian casualties were only focused upon)? Did he shoot them because they were Asian? He says that wasn't the reason as did the cops but the media still insists it was. Should it really matter what his reason was or just that he murdered people regardless of race?

These laws seem to be leading to more "Balkanization" of America.

Tony Timpa, a white man who had schizophrenia, was choked to death by the police after calling for their help. Dead within 20 minutes after their arrival. He never resisted. He never held a gun to a pregnant woman's belly. He begged for them to stop. The police laughed about it afterwards (you can watch the video on YouTube). No riots, no mention in the media, no arrests, no policemen jailed, not even a loss of a paycheck. Nobody cares. A Bush appointed judge dismissed all charges against the cops. No equal application of the law and that is the danger of hate legislation. They are racist laws.

Edited by SureWord

• Members
1 hour ago, 1Timothy115 said:

I'm in the Middle Tennessee area between Nashville and Chattanooga. I used to say "Wuhan Flu" or the "China Virus" but stopped using those phrases because I have several friends who are Asian, and our barbers both have daughter's they adopted from China years ago who are wonderful young ladies. I wasn't intentionally trying to be offensive, but I'm glad that someone who I know who is Chinese, but whose family has been in this country for hundreds of years, told me that it was somewhat offensive to him and that he believed others I knew would try to blame he and his family for something he had nothing to do with. I've stopped. It was also part of the toxic atmosphere on FB with the supporters of Trump. We, though we didn't find him the particular candidate we wanted to run the country, voted for him anyhow...both times. It was better than the alternative. But, now we HAVE that alternative in office. Anyhow, I digress. The term should be the coronavirus or Covid 19. I have had several relatives who have had it. In fact, my BIL was just released from the hospital in Peoria, IL after having been hospitalized for having the "Covid flu." I truly don't think we need to be protecting another set of American citizens with legislation like this. Pelosi knows it's divisive, but she's doing everything she can to offend the sensibilities of the Conservatives, Christians and moderate independents. May her term be short.

• Members
14 hours ago, BrotherTony said:

I'm in the Middle Tennessee area...I used to say "Wuhan Flu" or the "China Virus" but stopped using those phrases because I have several friends who are Asian, and our barbers both have daughter's they adopted from China years ago who are wonderful young ladies. I wasn't intentionally trying to be offensive, but I'm glad that someone who I know who is Chinese, but whose family has been in this country for hundreds of years, told me that it was somewhat offensive to him and that he believed others I knew would try to blame he and his family for something he had nothing to do with. 

I had been using both or all three terms. I have had mixed opinions about what to call it. I also have friends who have adopted Chinese children and attend our church and I would never want to cause an offense. The fact remains, Jesus warned us against offending His children [Mt. 18:6-7] and Paul [Ephesians 4:29] admonished us, as well as James [3:10]. Altogether the principle is layed out in God's word very well. So, I'll take your comments seasoned with God's Word "that 'I ' may grow thereby:" paraphrase of 1 Peter 2:2. Thanks and I hope I have natural immunity to COVID-19.