• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Regarding mansions (re thread from 2014?) ...

• Members
Posted June 7, 2014 "I heard a preacher the other day, and he was talking about Jewish marriage from the past.   In order to make this short, I'll cut right to the chase...

I've heard about the period of time when the man and wife are espoused to each other; during which, the future groom will build an addition onto his father's house for he and his future bride to live in. The preacher said that this addition was called a mansion.  Has anyone else heard this before?"

Yes.   (except back then < Jewish marriage from the past...  that period of time >  they did not speak english.  ?   )

• Members
31 minutes ago, jeff_student_of_Jesus said:
Posted June 7, 2014 "I heard a preacher the other day, and he was talking about Jewish marriage from the past.   In order to make this short, I'll cut right to the chase...

I've heard about the period of time when the man and wife are espoused to each other; during which, the future groom will build an addition onto his father's house for he and his future bride to live in. The preacher said that this addition was called a mansion.  Has anyone else heard this before?"

Yes.   (except back then < Jewish marriage from the past...  that period of time >  they did not speak english.  ?   )

If the universe is God's house than a mansion can be just what we think it is when we first hear the word.

Apparently, in British English a mansion is a row of fancy apartments though that is probably more of a modern slang. 

The new versions don't even want us to have apartments but like good commies want us all stuck in our individual rooms.

In astrology a mansion is one of the twelve compartments or houses of the zodiac. I know that's occultic but there are elements of truth in all myths. Maybe these compartments are the mansions in God's house where the saints will shine as the stars in heaven.

• Moderators

If we go back to Webster's 1828, which gives us a closer understanding of what the translators meant when they used the word "mansions", it means "any place of residence, a house, a habitation". Today we use the term as a magnificent house of great splendor, but then, it was just any house. So seems to me the understanding ought to be that in our father's house, there are many houses, many places for the children of God to dwell for eternity. We have a habitation there in God's house. I suspect the reference is meant to give assurance to the believer that we have awaiting us an eternal habitation, not so much a reference to the sort of dwelling place.

• Members

Anything occultic is forbidden by the Creator.  It is not even appropriate for discussion among followers of Jesus.

Sticking with His Word,  the Universe is not God's House,  and whatever "we think" never changes anything concerning His Word.

6 hours ago, Hugh_Flower said:

Sorry Jeff, but yes is not sufficient enough of an answer.

Mansions seem to mean an “abiding place” but the exact context in the OP does not seem to be wholly accurate.

Can you provide evidence? 

Originally ,  what was the question ?