• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Church fathers beliefs

• Members
1 hour ago, 360watt said:

Someone in another site posted to me that the church fathers believed 1 Corinthians 13 to be about Christs second coming and not the completed word of God..

Is this true?

As far as I am aware, it is true that SOME of them did; but NOT necessarily that all of them did.

On the other hand, in my own opinion the "church fathers" are NOT a good source of authority for true doctrine.  In truth, the ONLY Biblically defined "church fathers" would be the original "apostles and prophets" of the first century church, with our Lord Jesus Christ himself being "the chief corner stone" (as per Ephesians 2:20).  In my opinion the rest of the so-called "church fathers" were simply commentators and teachers of their respective time, just as we have in our time; and I believe that among them you will find an array of DIFFERENT belief systems.  At best, I myself might grant some "extra" credibility to the earliest of the "church fathers;" but even then I would recognize that false teachers were already in abundance within the first century of the church.  So then, when it comes to true doctrine, the ONLY source of authority that really matters to me is -- the precise teaching of God's OWN Word.

• Members

Yeah, 'church fathers' ..I realise is too broad. 

There the thing of Catholicism and their main teachers. And also reformed church teachers. 

Early on there was already false teachers,  pagan practices,  idol worship and bishops taking power over multiple congregations.

I guess I get to feeling a bit alone in my beliefs at times.

Going back to the bible is the thing

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I believe if we practice some of the "vices" the church father practiced like drinking and smoking cigars (mainly speaking of Spurgeon, who is a hero to so many here) then it should be okay for me to go back to smoking a pack a day of Benson and Hedges 100's...right? I'm being facetious, so don't have a cow! LOL If we truly knew what all transpired in the lives of many of the "church fathers" we would definitely change our minds on relying on them as part of our opinions on Scripture. Scriptures should ALWAYS be the first thing we got to for guidance.