• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Through Darkened Skies

• Members

This is the first poem I’ve written in probably 11 years. Angela Trenholm helped me iron out some of the wording this morning. I hope it is a blessing and a reminder where to keep our focus in these trying times.

Through Darkened Skies

When once bright prospects now seem so dim,
And thoughts of the future appear so grim -
You feel your steps start to falter and fail;
Your life now seems so much more uncertain,
You can’t see what lies beyond the curtain -
Anchor your faith steadfast within the veil.

With storm clouds racing across the sky
Sudden waves of doubt and fear draw nigh - 
So soon your day has turned to darkest night;
Testing will come, but don’t light your own way,
Hold tightly to God’s Word, trust and obey -
Choose this day to walk by faith, and not by sight.

With the very own Author of our faith,
As our example to run in this race -
We have a hope that lights up our darkened skies:
Looking to Jesus, our faithful Guide,
Trusting our Saviour to lead and provide -
We can run the race with patience, and win the prize.

Through darkened skies to Jesus.

April 7th, 2021
Jerry Bouey

“Remember that to trust God in the light is nothing — but to trust Him in the dark — that is faith!” Charles Spurgeon.

Matthew 6:34 Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.

Hebrews 6:18-20 That by two immutable things, in which it was impossible for God to lie, we might have a strong consolation, who have fled for refuge to lay hold upon the hope set before us: Which hope we have as an anchor of the soul, both sure and stedfast, and which entereth into that within the veil; Whither the forerunner is for us entered, even Jesus, made an high priest for ever after the order of Melchisedec.

Isaiah 50:10 Who is among you that feareth the LORD, that obeyeth the voice of his servant, that walketh in darkness, and hath no light? let him trust in the name of the LORD,
and stay upon his God.

Hebrews 12:1-2 Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us, Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2 Timothy 4:6-8 For I am now ready to be offered, and the time of my departure is at hand. I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith: Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, shall give me at that day: and not to me only, but unto all them also that love his appearing.

1 Corinthians 9:24-25 Know ye not that they which run in a race run all, but one receiveth the prize? So run, that ye may obtain. And every man that striveth for the mastery is temperate in all things. Now they do it to obtain a corruptible crown; but we an incorruptible.

Philippians 3:13-14 Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.

Edited by Jerry
Forgot some italics