• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Pray for Myanmar

• Members

The military takeover of Myanmar is growing worse. I know of a missionary family who was successfully evacuated with other foreigners, but others are still there. The local church I work with here in Taiwan is close friends with a Myanmar pastor who has disappeared, he was last heard from on February 18th. People are being murdered in the streets, and as they flee from the military/police they head to churches for safety, but these places of refuge are ignored by the military/police, they are breaking down the gates and doors to arrest anyone who flees into these buildings, and even arrest the pastors for giving the people sanctuary. 

https://www.taiwannews.com.tw/en/news/4142159

https://www.myanmar-now.org/en/news/police-raid-kachin-baptist-church-in-lashio-10-arrested-including-ministers

Video of police breaking into a house:

https://fb.watch/40DTgwjmRZ/ 

Edited by Rebecca

On 3/4/2021 at 11:31 AM, Salyan said:

Wow. I have heard NOTHING of this in the news. I know the media is unreliable, but that's a pretty significant thing for them to ignore.

What media do you watch or read? It has been all over the ones I follow. 

Fox News has given this topic little coverage. 

There is a large group of Myanmar Christian refugees in the Czech Republic. Good people.

Edited by Bouncing Bill

• Members
2 hours ago, Bouncing Bill said:

What media do you watch or read? It has been all over the ones I follow. 

Fox News has given this topic little coverage. 

There is a large group of Myanmar Christian refugees in the Czech Republic. Good people.

Saylan is from Canada so try again.

On 3/5/2021 at 8:56 AM, Rebecca said:

Some good news, the pastor friend got back in contact, he and his wife are safe! They are at home now but are emotionally drained and are having difficulty eating and sleeping. They are very grateful for the prayers and ask for continued prayers. 

A big "Praise God" with a thumbs up on that good news.

59 minutes ago, SureWord said:

Saylan is from Canada so try again.

A big "Praise God" with a thumbs up on that good news.

The media in Canada has been covering the situation in Myanmar. The Canadian Broadcasting Corporation has had numerous articles over the last two weeks or so. So, again, I wonder what media Saylan is watching or reading.

Here is one of the latest articles from CBS, https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/myanmar-demonstrators-un-friday-1.5938295

Edited by Bouncing Bill

• Members

Just wanted to let you know that I have been praying for the missionaries in Myanmar (Burma), that God would give them safety and wisdom in what course of action to take due to the current distress. As with Paul the apostle, the missionaries in Myanmar (Burma), are asking, "Pray for us ..." Hebrews 13:18

• Members

I got a report from an evangelist friend who has been visiting Myanmar over the last several years. He is keeping in touch with his local Christian contacts and the other day got a report. It is certainly not improving from the reports earlier in this thread.

Keep them in prayer.

• Members

Things are indeed growing worse. There is so much I was going to say, but as an update, I will simply copy/paste what a local wrote:

Dear praying brethren
I am writing this Report with a broken and trembling heart. My eye is filled with sadness and tears of hurt. First of all I want to beg you to pray for our safety and protection. It is my prayer that the angel of the Lord will continue to surround every home in our country.

Latest Update
From the day that the M-C took control over the country which was February 1, there was a constant peaceful protest from our people. I can say it is the whole country uprising against the injustice act. About One week everything was calm with nonviolent.

But starting from March 6 to 9, the Soldiers received ordered from their general to shoot as much as they want to these peaceful protestors. They used Machine Guns, Rifles, Snipers and even Air craft (Particularly to attack Kachin State) in their shooting,. Every day we needed to collect dead bodies on the road with tears and pains. They killed a school teacher who was just walking on the street; they also shoot a pregnant woman hid a young peaceful protestors. They would go to any house they want and bring people into prison. A lot of women were captured, and according to their testimony they were raped and beaten before they were released.

From March 10- to 14, things even got worse; they captured the former NLD elected people. One of them is a president of a public school and much respected person. They brought him to their office and the next morning they called his wife to collect his body. His face was disfigured already. Things get worse and worse they took over a very importance places like University, Hospital, and any kind of school building by force. They entered into any house , they kick out or imprison the family and they occupy the place. No Bank is opened and I don’t know how long it will be. Internets are cut off, we can use only a few hours. And it is dangerous to post anything that against them. If they check and see we are in danger.

From March 15-16, Today is the day of mourning and biggest shooting day. Our “ Hlaing tha yar” state started their protesting. Not very long the Soldiers came and shoot them with M-16, within one day we have 76 dead. A lot of them are young people who have such a bright future. It break my heart so much. Everywhere is filled with smoke and fire. They burned the chinese factories and they blamed over the civilian. There were 7 factories burned and destroyed. Thousands of people don’t have work, food and a place to stay now. Almost all of our church members ran back to their village now.

There is neither market nor shop where we can buy food because every road is blocked now. How long we will last if it continues like this!?
Just a while ago, the soldiers’ truck came and stop near our house. We were terrified; they captured six people who were having tea in the shop. We don’t know what they will do to them. God is my only Hope

All missionaries are suffering greatly the misery of this. My missionary friend has a wife who is about to give birth and there is no hospital opened. He said to me , they will do it by themselves in their small house by trusting God.

Dear friends…. I have two small little girls one is two year and another is six month, I don’t care if I don’t have food to eat but I am thinking much for them and their safety. May you continue to uphold us in your prayer for our safety, provision and protection."
________

Another Christian wrote much the same thing but added this:
"Last night, S. came to our Bible College area and tried to occupy our building. We fervently prayed and they turned in another direction. We did hear gunshot sounds the whole night."

The pastor I mentioned in my first post said:
”Thank you so much.  I need to delete all my posts about the protests. They began going into houses and check their FB posts.”

Please do not forget to pray for the people of Myanmar!
Edited by Rebecca

• Members

The situation in Myanmar, or Burma, has affected Chinese, or Taiwanese, businesses in Burma. Because there are both Chinese businesses from Mainland, or Communist China, and Chinese, or Taiwanese, businesses from Taiwan. Many local Burmese citizens can hardly distinguish from the two countries. So, the Taiwan Government Agency, “The Overseas Community Affairs Council has suggested that all Taiwanese citizens fly the Taiwan flag on their business.

“The Overseas Community Affairs Council (OCAC) yesterday warned Taiwanese businesses operating in Myanmar of the highly risky situation in the nation after a Taiwanese company was damaged in a fire amid protests against a military coup on Feb. 1, while the nation’s representative office in Myanmar advised Taiwanese firms to fly the national flag at their premises. … “The nation’s representative office in Myanmar had earlier advised Taiwanese companies to fly the national flag and hang signs stating that they are Taiwanese to avoid being confused with Chinese businesses.”1

As there is no end in sight as of yet in Myanmar the situation is bound to not only affect Taiwan but other countries in Asia.

1 Taipei Times, Myanmar firms urged to fly flag, Accessed on: 18 March 2021. Available on: https://www.taipeitimes.com/News/front/archives/2021/03/16/2003753909

• Members

We were reading Psalm 9 in our devotions this evening and while we were reading verse 8 the situation in Myanmar, Burma, came to mind. "The LORD also will be a refuge for the oppressed, a refuge in times of trouble." Psalm 9:8. It our  prayer that the Lord will bring refuge for the Christians in Myanmar in the current  oppression and troubles that they are going through.