Online Baptist

Quotations Anyone?

Rate this topic

• Members

"So far from engaging in a war to perpetuate slavery, I am rejoiced that Slavery is abolished. I believe it will be greatly for the interest of the South. So fully am I satisfied of this that I would have cheerfully lost all that I have lost by the war, and have suffered all that I have suffered to have this object attained."

Robert E. Lee

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

"The aim and final end of all music should be none other than the glory of God and the refreshment of the soul." J.S. Bach

"To quote from a recent writer from the Old Country on life in Western Canada: "For a man in the West marriage does not mean what it does among the well-to-do at home, giving up a comfortable bachelor

Madison's final words during his introduction to congress for a 'Bill of Rights' "I think we should obtain the confidence of our fellow- citizens, in proportion as we fortify the rights of the pe

Posted Images

• Independent Fundamental Baptist
On 2/25/2021 at 12:50 AM, SureWord said:

you can't expect people to shake off all the heresies over night

Sure,

I don't, I've seen it at work in many Catholic friends I've had over the years. I'm sorry if it sounded that I thought Martin Luther had...would or should.

Edited by 1Timothy115
completed thought

Our National Motto - 'In God We Trust' - was not chosen lightly. It reflects a basic recognition that there is a divine authority in the universe to which this nation owes homage.                                                             
                                                                                                   Ronald Reagan

• Members
1 hour ago, 1Timothy115 said:

Sure,

I don't, I've seen it at work in many Catholic friends I've had over the years. I'm sorry if it sounded that I thought Martin Luther had...would or should.

No need to apologize, bro. We do need to be careful with some of the theology of the Reformers and Church Fathers but at the same time some Christians will thrash the entire testimonies and words of those great men.  

• Lady Administrators
On 2/26/2021 at 3:01 AM, Bouncing Bill said:

Where can I find the rules. I have look but have not found them. 

As Alan posted, they are here: 

Please go to the link and read the rules - it's good for all members to know them.  It really does not matter if you see a difference in the wording of two different versions, as you mentioned to Alan. Nor does it matter if Jesus spoke Old English (which all of us know He did not) or Hebrew, Latin, Greek, or Russian. The fact is that OB is a KJV site. Refrain from using other versions. Thank you.

Madison's final words during his introduction to congress for a 'Bill of Rights'

"I think we should obtain the confidence of our fellow- citizens, in proportion as we fortify the rights of the people against the encroachments of the Government."

James Madison

34 minutes ago, Salyan said:

Because the historian in me can't resist....  :15_1_63:

Old English (rough translation from KJV because I can't find a Greek to Anglo-Saxon translator):
" Forrrwam be hira foldwaestm git diht becnawan hie."

I've always thought I liked history, but now...this isn't sinking into my 🧠.

Warren G. Harding innaugural address March 4, 1921"

"Standing in this presence, mindful of the solemnity of this occasion, feeling the emotions which no one may know until he senses the great weight of responsibility for himself, I must utter my belief in the divine inspiration of the founding fathers. Surely there must have been God’s intent in the making of this new-world Republic."

"Let never day nor night unhallowed pass, but still remember what the Lord hath done." - William Shakespeare

"There's no other place like this place anywhere near this place so this must be the place." - Preachers 

• Moderators

"To quote from a recent writer from the Old Country on life in Western Canada: "For a man in the West marriage does not mean what it does among the well-to-do at home, giving up a comfortable bachelor lodgings for a life of house-owning and smart dinners; it means leaving a ghastly loneliness for companionship and help, and squalor for decent comfort. For a woman in this new land the sphere of the home does not mean polishing scratches on silver or decorating the dining room with masses of flowers, but feeding and clothing and cheering husband and children, and being kind to poor bachelors round about who need kindness badly. Woman is at her old task as the civilizer, not as the over-civilizer."
Alberta, Past & Present, 1924

• Members

“I’m glad to be a junior [senator],” he thundered. “I'm glad to sit on the back row; for I would rather be a servant in the House of the Lord than to sit in the seats of the mighty."

Alben Barkley's last words. He was giving a speech at Washington and Lee University and calloused and died on stage. 

“A person will worship something, have no doubt about that. We may think our tribute is paid in secret in the dark recesses of our hearts, but it will come out. That which dominates our imaginations and our thoughts will determine our lives, and our character. Therefore, it behooves us to be careful what we worship, for what we are worshipping, we are becoming.” - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Jim,

Good question. I heard Dr. Keen use this quote at a Missions Conference back in sometime in 1994 or thereabouts. I had written the quote in my Bible and then Dr. Keen signed the Bible. He may, or may not, have been the originator of the quote. If you have any other information that lets us know who originally used this quote let us know.

Alan

On 3/15/2021 at 7:11 PM, Alan said:

Jim,

Good question. I heard Dr. Keen use this quote at a Missions Conference back in sometime in 1994 or thereabouts. I had written the quote in my Bible and then Dr. Keen signed the Bible. He may, or may not, have been the originator of the quote. If you have any other information that lets us know who originally used this quote let us know.

Alan

Whoever said it, I like it.

• Administrators

Bro. Alan, I don't have anything to add to that quote and never heard it before. What I wrote, I wrote because I didn't quite know what to think about it and at first glance didn't think I agreed with it. But I deleted that post because what I said didn't really need to be said at all. I thought better of posting it and deleted it.  :sorry:

“Our greatest danger perhaps is that of multiplying organizations and broadening our mission until the important and essential task for which we exist has been either lost sight of or is entirely crowded out.” ~ Oswald J. Smith, The Man God Uses