• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Quotations Anyone?

• Members

"I cannot pray, but I sin; I cannot preach, but I sin; I cannot administer, nor receive the holy sacrament, but I sin. My very repentance needs to be repented of: and the tears I shed need washing in the blood of Christ.”

Bishop George Berkeley.

Some might take issue with the "holy sacrament" part but the rest of what he said was spot on.

• Members

“An excuse is a skin of a reason stuffed with a lie.” — Billy Sunday

I first heard this in 1980-81 (not sure which) from a Christian brother while attending a IFB Church in Va. Bch. Va. I didn't know until today it originated with Billy.

Edited by 1Timothy115

• Members

"The more I know of some dogs the less I think of some Christians"

"Fighting Bob" Shuler from his sermon "Some Dogs I Have Known".

The sermon was about the faithfulness and courage of some dogs he came across in his lifetime as compared to some Christians.

He is not the Crystal Cathedral phony but an old time Methodist preacher during the 20s and 30s. 

Fighting Bob was so ahead of the cancel culture of today he got cancelled back in 1933 by the FCC for his sermons that called out crooked politicians and police and the politicians and police of Los Angeles in those days were corrupt beyond measure.

Edited by SureWord

I heard this on the podcast, On Being, this morning.

Men marry women thinking they [women] will stay the same.

Women marry men thinking they [men] will change.

12 hours ago, SureWord said:

"The more I know of some dogs the less I think of some Christians"

"Fighting Bob" Shuler from his sermon "Some Dogs I Have Known".

The sermon was about the faithfulness and courage of some dogs he came across in his lifetime as compared to some Christians.

He is not the Crystal Cathedral phony but an old time Methodist preacher during the 20s and 30s. 

Fighting Bob was so ahead of the cancel culture of today he got cancelled back in 1933 by the FCC for his sermons that called out crooked politicians and police and the politicians and police of Los Angeles in those days were corrupt beyond measure.

Your quote reminded me of three quotes from Mark Twain.

1. If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.

2.The dog is a gentleman; I hope to go to his heaven, not man's.

3. The more I learn about people the more I like my dog.

Edited by Bouncing Bill

• Members

"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched - they must be felt with the heart."           Helen Keller or Anne Sullivan

Some say Miss Keller attributed the saying to her teacher Anne Sullivan. As remarkable a life story as Helen Keller's was, so too is the biography of Anne Sullivan. https://www.biography.com/activist/anne-sullivan

Edited by 1Timothy115

"We are too small to send missionaries all over the world. If we send missionaries to China and successfully convert the Chinese, they are large enough to send missionaries over the entire world."

A young Korean woman said this to me on a train in China as we traveled from Xi'an to Tianjin ... about a 26 hour trip.

Notable Quotes

“The great masquerade of evil has played havoc with all our ethical concepts. For evil to appear disguised as light, charity, historical necessity or social justice is quite bewildering to anyone brought up on our traditional ethical concepts, while for the Christian who bases his life on the Bible, it merely confirms the fundamental wickedness of evil.”
– Dietrich Bonhoeffer (Letters and Papers from Prison — 1967; 1997)