• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Quotations Anyone?

• Members
On 5/3/2021 at 7:14 PM, Bouncing Bill said:
A different perspective:
“Ask any person who was chronically ill or disabled before the pandemic how life changed for them during the pandemic and we can’t say it changed as much as the average “healthy” person’s life did. We were already used to being at home. We were already painfully adjusted to missing events. Eventually, you stop missing certain things and accept the home life because you have to adapt to your new normal or you will go insane with grief from your life’s lost possibilities. My husband and I had hoped that healthy, mobile Americans would look beyond themselves and protect others while protecting themselves. There was also the vague hope that they would better understand the limited lives of their fellow ill or disabled Americans. Instead, we realized a new cold, hard truth: Most Americans wouldn’t know how to survive being hindered by illness or disability. They can’t adapt to inconvenience.
— Christine Skirbunt-Kozabo, Virginia”

Different indeed. "Most Americans wouldn’t know how to survive being hindered by illness or disability." This story reminds me of Joni Eareckson Tada. Have you ever heard story of Joni's life or heard her sing, Alone Yet Not Alone? You know her husband had to help her breath so that she could sing that song. There are two ways to come out of disability, either bitterness or beauty. Many Americans are depending on someone other than Jesus Christ.

• Members
9 hours ago, 1Timothy115 said:

Different indeed. "Most Americans wouldn’t know how to survive being hindered by illness or disability." This story reminds me of Joni Eareckson Tada. Have you ever heard story of Joni's life or heard her sing, Alone Yet Not Alone? You know her husband had to help her breath so that she could sing that song. There are two ways to come out of disability, either bitterness or beauty. Many Americans are depending on someone other than Jesus Christ.

I know that my wife and I depend daily upon Jesus Christ to help us through the day. Being disabled isn't something fun, believe me. I've been disabled since May of 1997, but fought being placed on SS disability until they forced me to apply for it in April of 2000. My wife should be on disability, but, she, like me, is one who is fighting going on disability. She soon have to go on it anyhow. The accident she was in in 2015 nearly took her life, broke her back, most of her ribs, punctured her heart, aorta, kidney, liver and busted her spleen. She was revived 3x from the time she was extracted from the car to the time where she finally arrived by life-flight at Vanderbilt Trauma. Every night when she is laying down to go to sleep she nearly screams because of the pain, and many (most) nights she has to get up and come out to the living room to sleep in the recliner. She doesn't sleep well, and her ribs never healed quite right. She's got two titanium rods and eight screws in her thorax holding most of it together, and they had to cauterize her spleen to stop from having to remove totally. She's trying to hold out until she's at least 62 to retire, but it seems like disability is going to be the option soon. This still hasn't persuaded her to take the vaccination, though many have tried to "shame" her into it. We don't shame people into NOT taking it, and all we ask is that they give us the same respect. Of course, we don't get much of that. But, that's between the one who's doing the shaming and God. I'll let them answer and Him judge. 

• Members

"Now, Reader, I have told my dream to thee;
See if thou canst interpret it to me,
Or to thyself, or neighbor; but take heed
Of misinterpreting; for that, instead of doing good,
will but thyself abuse:"                         J. Bunyan

• Members

Meanings are expressed in words, but it is one of the misfortunes of life that words tend to persist long after their meanings have departed, with the result that thoughtless men and women believe they have the reality because they have the word for it. That’s where we are now. ~ Aiden W. Tozer

• Members

"The eclipse of your faith, the darkness of your mind, the fainting of your hope, all these things are but parts of God's method of making you ripe for the great inheritance upon which you shall soon enter."            C.H. Spurgeon

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

"The plain truth is, within the space of our lifetimes, much of what Americans once almost universally abhorred has been packaged, perfumed, gift-wrapped, and sold to us as though it had great value. By skillfully playing on our deeply felt national values of fairness, generosity, and tolerance, these marketers have persuaded us to embrace as enlightened and noble that which all previous generations since America’s founding regarded as grossly self-destructive -– in a word, evil.”

David Kupelian -The Marketing of Evil

• Members

“Even the mob engaged in pillage and murder is not the disorganized thing it appears to be. Somewhere behind the violence is a leader whose ideas it is simply putting into effect."
                                                                                                            Aiden W. Tozer

• 1 month later...