• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Quotations Anyone?

• Members

Madison's final words during his introduction to congress for a 'Bill of Rights'

"I think we should obtain the confidence of our fellow- citizens, in proportion as we fortify the rights of the people against the encroachments of the Government."

James Madison

• Moderators

Because the historian in me can't resist....  :15_1_63:

Old English (rough translation from KJV because I can't find a Greek to Anglo-Saxon translator):
" Forrrwam be hira foldwaestm git diht becnawan hie."

• Members
34 minutes ago, Salyan said:

Because the historian in me can't resist....  :15_1_63:

Old English (rough translation from KJV because I can't find a Greek to Anglo-Saxon translator):
" Forrrwam be hira foldwaestm git diht becnawan hie."

I've always thought I liked history, but now...this isn't sinking into my ?.

• Members

Warren G. Harding innaugural address March 4, 1921"

"Standing in this presence, mindful of the solemnity of this occasion, feeling the emotions which no one may know until he senses the great weight of responsibility for himself, I must utter my belief in the divine inspiration of the founding fathers. Surely there must have been God’s intent in the making of this new-world Republic."

• Members

"There is no work better than another to please God: to pour water, to wash dishes, to be a souter [cobbler], or an apostle, all is one; to wash dishes and to preach is all one, as touching tho deed, to please God." - William Tyndale

Edited by SureWord

• Moderators

"To quote from a recent writer from the Old Country on life in Western Canada: "For a man in the West marriage does not mean what it does among the well-to-do at home, giving up a comfortable bachelor lodgings for a life of house-owning and smart dinners; it means leaving a ghastly loneliness for companionship and help, and squalor for decent comfort. For a woman in this new land the sphere of the home does not mean polishing scratches on silver or decorating the dining room with masses of flowers, but feeding and clothing and cheering husband and children, and being kind to poor bachelors round about who need kindness badly. Woman is at her old task as the civilizer, not as the over-civilizer."
- Alberta, Past & Present, 1924

“I’m glad to be a junior [senator],” he thundered. “I'm glad to sit on the back row; for I would rather be a servant in the House of the Lord than to sit in the seats of the mighty."

Alben Barkley's last words. He was giving a speech at Washington and Lee University and calloused and died on stage. 

• Members

“A person will worship something, have no doubt about that. We may think our tribute is paid in secret in the dark recesses of our hearts, but it will come out. That which dominates our imaginations and our thoughts will determine our lives, and our character. Therefore, it behooves us to be careful what we worship, for what we are worshipping, we are becoming.” - Ralph Waldo Emerson