• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Quotations Anyone?

• Members

"Then along comes our Lord and issues a long-awaited spiritual emancipation proclamation and signs it in blood."

A.W. Tozer, The Pursuit of Man

• Members
3 hours ago, 1Timothy115 said:

Interesting, I've seen a few articles alluding toward Martin Luther retaining observance of Roman Church dogma. A discussion on the dogma he retained apart from Luther's 95 Theses could be an extensive thread all on it's own.

I believe Luther considered himself Catholic til the day he died. He did retain some papist dogma but regardless, he did some great things and was a beacon of light in a dark church. After 1000 years of oppression under the iron fist of the Roman Church you can't expect people to shake off all the heresies over night. He was a great man in his day but I'd be leary of some of his theology.

Edited by SureWord

11 hours ago, HappyChristian said:

Please amend your quote so that it is actually KJV. I realize that Maynard's blog is not, but we are KJV - and you've been told this before. I'm enjoying this thread of quotations, but Board rules are still in effect.  (and, just for clarification, "please" is a courtesy, not a request)

Where can I find the rules. I have look but have not found them. 

• Members

Here is the link, click on the "Online Baptist Rules PastorMatt" to the Online Baptist rules:

Or go to: Forums / General Forums / General Chats / Online Baptist Rules by PastorMatt.

Edited by Alan
link problem

• Members
1 hour ago, Bouncing Bill said:

I do not see a difference in the meaning between the two versions quoted.

Of course, Jesus did not use any of those words as he did not speak English and even if he did it would have been old, old English which is nothing like King James English or modern English. 

As 1timothy115 stated, this thread is a "Quotations" only and the reader is to think of his own conclusions to the quote offered. So, I will not express my opinions of the meaning of the differences of the two quotes nor enter into any argumentative statements.  

• Members

"So far from engaging in a war to perpetuate slavery, I am rejoiced that Slavery is abolished. I believe it will be greatly for the interest of the South. So fully am I satisfied of this that I would have cheerfully lost all that I have lost by the war, and have suffered all that I have suffered to have this object attained."

Robert E. Lee

• Members
On 2/25/2021 at 12:50 AM, SureWord said:

you can't expect people to shake off all the heresies over night

Sure,

I don't, I've seen it at work in many Catholic friends I've had over the years. I'm sorry if it sounded that I thought Martin Luther had...would or should.

Edited by 1Timothy115
completed thought

• Members

Our National Motto - 'In God We Trust' - was not chosen lightly. It reflects a basic recognition that there is a divine authority in the universe to which this nation owes homage.                                                             
                                                                                                   Ronald Reagan

• Members
1 hour ago, 1Timothy115 said:

Sure,

I don't, I've seen it at work in many Catholic friends I've had over the years. I'm sorry if it sounded that I thought Martin Luther had...would or should.

No need to apologize, bro. We do need to be careful with some of the theology of the Reformers and Church Fathers but at the same time some Christians will thrash the entire testimonies and words of those great men.  

• Administrators
On 2/26/2021 at 3:01 AM, Bouncing Bill said:

Where can I find the rules. I have look but have not found them. 

As Alan posted, they are here: 

Please go to the link and read the rules - it's good for all members to know them.  It really does not matter if you see a difference in the wording of two different versions, as you mentioned to Alan. Nor does it matter if Jesus spoke Old English (which all of us know He did not) or Hebrew, Latin, Greek, or Russian. The fact is that OB is a KJV site. Refrain from using other versions. Thank you.