• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Quotations Anyone?

• Moderators

This might be a composite of quotations, but:

"When we preach, we stand, not at a pulpit, but on a throne. We cannot play at preaching: Life, Death, Heaven and Hell all hang on the preaching and hearing of a sermon." CH Spurgeon

This used to hang on my office when I was first a pastor, (and wen I had an office).

6 hours ago, Ukulelemike said:

This might be a composite of quotations, but:

"When we preach, we stand, not at a pulpit, but on a throne. We cannot play at preaching: Life, Death, Heaven and Hell all hang on the preaching and hearing of a sermon." CH Spurgeon

This used to hang on my office when I was first a pastor, (and wen I had an office).

I have good friends at Spurgeon's College in London.

"The Baptist preacher Carlyle Marney visited a college campus. A student asked, ’Dr. Marney, would you say a word or two about the resurrection of the dead?’

Marney answered, ’I will not discuss that with people like you.’

When the student wanted to know why, Marney said, ’Look at you, in the prime of the life, potent -- never have you known honest-to-God failure, heart-burn, impotency, solid defeat, brick walls, mortality. So what can you know of a dark world which only makes sense if Christ is raised?’" 1

1 from PreachingNow

Marney was a great influence on my life.

• Members

“If soul-winning is the most important work of the church, it naturally follows that Satan will do all he can to get us side-tracked or satisfied with something else.”

“But Social Service is not Salvation: and Reformation is not Regeneration.”

Oswald J. Smith

• Members

The meek man cares not at all who is greater than he, for he has long ago decided that the esteem of the world is not worth the effort. He develops toward himself a kindly sense of humor and learns to say, ’Oh, so you have been overlooked? They have placed someone else before you? They have whispered that you are pretty small stuff after all? And now you feel hurt because the world is saying about you the very things you have been saying about yourself? Only yesterday you were telling God that you were nothing, a mere worm of the dust. Where is your consistency? Come on, humble yourself, and cease to care what men think.’

A.W. Tozer - The Pursuit of God

• Members
On 2/21/2021 at 8:06 PM, Bouncing Bill said:

Works, i.e. social service does not save, but faith without works is dead. Show me your works and I will show you your faith.

I read a quote similar to this somewhere recently but can't recall where and it's really bugging me. ?

"Such as it is, the press has become the greatest power within the Western World, more powerful than the legislature, the executive and judiciary. One would like to ask; by whom has it been elected and to whom is it responsible?"

"The simple step of a courageous individual is not to take part in the lie. One word of truth outweighs the world."

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Edited by SureWord

• Members
3 hours ago, Bouncing Bill said:

It is impossible to separate works from faith, yea just as impossible as to separate burning from shining from fire.   Martin Luther

Interesting, I've seen a few articles alluding toward Martin Luther retaining observance of Roman Church dogma. A discussion on the dogma he retained apart from Luther's 95 Theses could be an extensive thread all on it's own.